hello from ison

Hello all

Found this forum when looking for info on the old Fairham Comprehensive School in clifton which i attended between the years 1959-1963

went into the motor trade from there, worked at a small motor accessory shop at the bottom of derby road first called Ingels then a motor Factor on Parliament street (Replacement services) moved to Hooleys next then Mann Egerton, Shipsides followed, then finshed up at AFG at Clifton Bridge and various other branches before moving on to the computer industry in 1990

unionflag

Hi Mick & welcome.

As an apprentice in the sixties I well remember going to those motor factors for parts etc. My old boss served his apprenticeship at Shipsides !

Can you remember Geoff Hart from Replacements ?

Yes I can remember Geoff Hart worked with him Catfan I started there on the carrier bikes taking parcels to the bus station Geoff did deliveries on a motorbike with a side box we then both worked on the counter and phones serving customes. Geoff works for a motor factor in Ilkeston and I bump into him now and then. I went by the name of Alan there so as not to get mixed up with the other Michael

I used to visit Shipsides a lot as I was into mini's in a big way, built a couple of "S's" up from two rightoff's, front end damage, so needed parts fairly regularly from there or my other supplier "Podders" scrapyard.

I worked across the road as a Post Office Tech at the time, so could look over from our tea room and see the place easily.