Chaucer Street Horror

Did anyone ever go to the NHS dentist on Chaucer St it was one of the worst places i visited as a child there was no soft music or books/toys there was a very dark building there was staff that barked at you staff that forced a mask over your face that put you to sleep when i eventually left the building iwas spitting blood clots it took 20 years to get over my phobia of dentists funny thing was in those days you were supposed to repect them in the same way you would respect your doctor and some of them hated working class kids. so many things then would be labelled abuse today.

All I remember about my visit to Chaucer Street was, they said they would pull 1 tooth and pulled 6. I remember that black rubber mask coming over my face, then coming round and them making me rinse with warm water. The rinsing part was the worse thing, I hate warm water in my mouth ever since. Makes me heave.

Just like NewBasfordlad, my experience of the Chaucer Street butchers has left me with a phobia which has lasted all my life, and today I cannot face visiting a dentist.

For an extraction, I had a piece of hard rubber forced between my teeth to hold open my mouth, and was told to bite down hard on it if there was any pain !!

This would have been around 1952/3, and I hope that dental science has improved somewhat since then, but that thought helps me not one iota.

I still think the dentist at the Players School was related to Dr Mengele!

I had my first tooth pulled out there myself, absolute horror ! I concur with Katyjay, the gas mask going on your face, fifty years later I can still smell the gas !

Talking to my old dentist, he did say school dentists were the worst, no one else would employ em !

I went there to have three teeth out, horrible experience, the black thing you bite on & the mask ugh. I go to a nice Swedish Girl dentist now & she's gentle & kind. She said to me the other day when I went for a check up "you've never smoked have you?" I said "no never, I had three drags at school & boffed up, never touched one since" she said "I can tell by your gums you haven't!" I wonder what smoking does to the gums for her to know??

I went there to have three teeth out, horrible experience, the black thing you bite on & the mask ugh. I go to a nice Swedish Girl dentist now & she's gentle & kind. She said to me the other day when I went for a check up "you've never smoked have you?" I said "no never, I had three drags at school & boffed up, never touched one since" she said "I can tell by your gums you haven't!" I wonder what smoking does to the gums for her to know??

They recede quicker.

I still think the dentist at the Players School was related to Dr Mengele!

Yep, Players dentist was the worst experience ever.................

You had a dentist at your school!!! How posh was that!

No, I went to William Crane but we were rounded up by the authorities and sent to Players for 'treatment'. I don't know why. We never did the authorities any harm!

I never did get to go to Chaucer st , but my butchers were Leenside Clinic on the end of canal st,(London road end).

The dentist there, she was built like a mud wrestler, The last time i went there was when i was 14. we had one hell of

a row,i got up and walked out ,with her shouting ,I,ll report you to your Headmaster, in return i shouted, Get on with it,

I never did hear any thing about it. Happy Days

Dennis.

nearly every one i speak to on this suject had bad experiences at scool dentists ours was atpark house parkes corner carlon i ended up at the hostpital after one visit cause they gave me too much gas no wonder so many people of our age hate dentist

Same place for me Babs, I was absolutely terrified of the Dentist as a kid and still am. I have a brilliant Dentist now and even when having an extraction she is great. Just hearing the word extraction sounds like torture. :huh: I went through the pleasure just before Christmas and ended up in hospital, cos i'm a little bleeder....No not that kind! :tease:

I never had my teeth out at Chaucer st., but I did have my tonsils and adenoids out there in 1961 when I was 10. The surgeon was Mr Marshall. I remember having to blow an Ether balloon then going into a deep sleep and waking up with blood all over my pillow.

I did have to go to Player's School clinic to have any loose 'baby' teeth out prior to the op, but had no trouble. I even enjoyed having a pretty nurse holding my hand.

The worst dentist I went to was Mr Horrocks on Alfreton Road near Bentinck Road. I was nervous and he was horrible to me. The best was Warren Torz on Russell Drive at Wollaton.

Isn't it amazing how we were treated at these "clinics" and how our phobias develop ? I too had some awful experiences firstly at an old dentist in Beeston, a Mr Seedhouse, never forget, he came at me with the biggest syringe and needle I had ever seen ! then told me to listen for the "crack" as he pulled the offending tooth out while mum was holding me down ! I was 5 at the time.

Then there was Parkes corner in Carlton, the next torture center for me ! I have poor teeth, mainly due to my fear and phobia of dentists ! I still have it and even though I should really go now, I cannot face it as I get so hung up over it for several days prior to the visit.

On my last visit, I had to go as I had an abcess under a tooth ! the anaesthetic didnt work due to infection so was another excrutiating painful experience and after the 30 mins in the chair, I passed out in the waiting room afterwards waithing for my daughter to pick me up.

I sometimes feel like booking into a hospital privatley and having a full anaesthetic an having the lot out and replaced with plastic! so much less trouble and no more dentists.

• Upvote 2

It's reassuring to know that I wasn't the only one to have suffered at the hands of the butchers on Dr Parks Corner. Forty-odd years later, I can still remember the smell of the rubber gas mask and the mess they left behind after their cack-handed extractions.

With ya'll on the Parks Corner clinic. First time there had a bunch of fillings with no aneasthetic and one of those old drills with lots of pulleys. Pain was something else. Second time had a bunch of molars pulled out by some woman named Agnes. Don't know if they gave me too much gas but they sure were yelling trying to wake me up. Put me off dentists so much that later on I let a high tooth decay so much it had to come out rather than be fixed when I was in my late teens. Ended up with a partial denture for the rest of my life. Those school clinics have a lot to answer for.

Another here that went to Dr Parks Corner . Can't remember any particularly bad moments there but certainly never liked dentist trips and have never been offered gas at any dentist . Seem to remember going to that place for certain jabs too and eye tests ? .

When we moved here we had an old guy , who always smelt of tobacco . If he could get away drilling without anesthetic he would do .

When he retired there was no N.H. dentist about and we had to join a private practice and she was absolutely fabulous as were the hygenists , so gentle that I often nearly went to sleep in the chair !

Unfortunately she retired , replaced by a rather sterner young chap and the cost had risen to a ridiculous £60 a month for the two of us . Far too much now that we have retired and luckily we managed to get an NH dentist in the next town .

Funny thing. My old school mate is a dentist (might be retired now). He is a big bloke and terrified me on the rugby field so I don't what he's like as a dentist.

My fondest memory of a dentist is of one in the RAF. He was a young Squadron Leader and was great! He was a typical rugby player, apologised for the smell if he'd eaten a curry the night before, but his real stardom was proved for me by the following. An airman went to see him for treatment. "I'm sorry sir," he said. "I forgot to clean my teeth before coming to see you." "That's alright," said the dentist. "I've just been for a shit and haven't washed my hands."

My first recollection of a dentist was a scottish chap called Mr Young who had a surgery on Pevril Road in Bees ton at the age of 3 he scared the living day lights out of me. There I was in his chair with white knuckles where I was hanging on for dear life and at the grand old age of 3 he had the ordasity to call me very highly strung. At times I sincerely wished he had been, from a very high tree

I had one out at Players when I was about 5. Black bung in mouth, black mask - then they went too light on the gas and I felt the whole thing being wrenched out. They've got one of those old black torture set-ups at the Brewhouse Yard museum if you feel brave.