Chaucer Street Horror

Like Dennis (#12), I also went to the clinic on Canal Street. I attended the Arkwright Infants School on London Road and the class would walk to the clinic for our torture. I hated having a cold sore or a spot on my face because they'd slap a dollop of blue/purple stuff on it to make us look like clowns. I've just had the thought of the class walking along London Road as we returned to school. The people who saw us must have thought that we'd been paintballing...lol

Like Dennis (#12), I also went to the clinic on Canal Street. I attended the Arkwright Infants School on London Road and the class would walk to the clinic for our torture. I hated having a cold sore or a spot on my face because they'd slap a dollop of blue/purple stuff on it to make us look like clowns. I've just had the thought of the class walking along London Road as we returned to school. The people who saw us must have thought that we'd been paintballing...lol

Either Iodine or Gentian Violet.....................................the blue/purple stuff

oh gosh,ugh horrible my memories of chaucer street and leenside dentists,they were absolute nightmares,so many children sitting so frightened then having a black rubber mask held down on your face,as others have said then sitting at a sink continual rinsing and so much blood coming from our mouths,i know i had need for only small fillings but yank them out was the order of the day,worst was waking during the night at home as a blood clot was coming from my mouth,sorry for graphic details but thats the way it was,many many years before i had courage as an adult to visit a "proper "dentist,but realisticly times have changed and maybe they thought they were doing the right thing

my brother is a dentist (well hes just about retired now) Stewart Drage. Had practices on Bramcote lane Wollaton and Derby Road opposite The Savoy cinema and latterly The Village Dental Practice in East Leake. I always went to him for many years (primarily so i didnt have to pay) but also coz if he hurt me I could kick him with no regrets!!

• 8 years later...