Where did you roam.

Quote:

"a hill or area of refuse from a mine or industrial site."

Such is the English language - another quote Slag - "stony waste matter separated from metals during the smelting or refining of ore".

So colliery waste or dirt becomes slag when put in a heap.

Bilboro-lad. I remember the tip very well. We all played round the train bridge and listened to the pit wheels spinning. We thought it would be there for ever. I remember the daily collection of full wagons from the colliery sidings. We used to sit on the parapet and wait for the bells in the signal box. when the signalman pulled the levers we could here the wires whistling and someone would shout "pegged!"

After school we would run up the hill to Old Coach Road to get the engine number off the 'arf forra'. That is the train that was due past at 4:30PM. Then there was 'The Waverley'. Usually hauled by a Jubilee, sometimes a Royal Scot class, and very occasionally a Patriot Class. Black fives were substituted if the usual 'namer' was unavailable.

Then there was the canal. We would go tadpoling and get back home stinking like a sewer. This always earned a clout off me mum.

There were angling matches in the canal pound next to Old Coach Road bridge. And older kids used to dive off the bridge into 16 lock.

Happy Days.

Re #24 - #26, "Slag" has at least another couple of meanings, both informal and one also derogatory ! The first is to be derogatory or to criticize, I'll not define t'other for the sake of good taste !!

Hey Bilbraborn, do you remember that odd practice where a single guards van would leave that little siding on the left via gravity and freewheel across the line and down under tin bridge to god knows where? What was that all about? I think it was about 1pm or somewhere around there.

Also, if you went up those spoil heaps there was quite a big lake on the top of one of them and thick mud on another. Hot sands was the most fascinating though, if you dug down 6 inches you came to glowing embers and if you weren't careful you'd sink up to your knees in red hot cinders.

Colliery sidings were generally arranged with an empty sidings into which the Main Line loco would pull the empty wagons. The wagons would gravitate as required under the screens for loading and the into the full sidings from which the Mine line loco would take them away. The free wheeling guards van would have been detached from the empties train and picked up again by the full train when it left.

The lake on the top of the spoil heap would be a slurry settling pond for the wet fine material generated by the washery. It was slurry ponds that caused the Aberfan disaster compounded by the spoil heap being on a hillside.

My uncle used to take us fishing for chub in the Smyte, but I thought it was Aslockton but may be wrong, long time ago.

Remember using large chunks of cheddar cheese that I used to eat while waiting for the bites, or luncheon meat.

Your right, the Smite is near Aslockton,

The river starts its life in the Harby hills and the flows through the Vale of Belvoir, going through Colston Bassett and passes close to Langar, Aslockton, Shelton, and a few other villages, then it joins the River Devon and flows into the Trent near Newark..

• 2 years later...

From old Bestwood estate us kids in the 50s roamed a lot...........Bulwell Common.........for football,cricket, Tennis and sledging,Moorbridge we knew as Jelly Lake where we went Tadpolling even caught Newts there in them days,.......Seven Fields,which they were between Bestwood estate and Bestwood Village (now Top Valley and Rise Park)..Vernon Park for fishing,football,cricket and Tennis........we also ventured into Town by train from Basford and Bulwell station..........one Penny on short route and Two Pence long route,

My gypsy intuitions led me to Paddy Power..won € 20 odd euro.

Some style in Belfast- got my passport in 3 hours..splashed out on some clobber...ran it by the war office..but his the price tags..a lovely grey Jagear coat,Pull & Bear punky jumper.sat in Ronnie Drew's and danced with a Milwaukee lady..Benjamin would have been proud of me!

Nice grub and Hop House 13.

Love roaming on me own,passport staff were brilliant.. Gave them a card.

Howth looked a lovely place in the mist.