Can You Name10

Can you remember 10 families that lived in the old Meadows thoght it might be interesting for future browsers who researching family EDIS MCMULLEN PERKINS MARRIOT COOKSY BEAUMONT RHODES MULLINS COUSINS CROFTS.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't remember a bus depot. Might have been on the edge. The real Medders was the triangle bounded by Arkwright Street, Wilford Road and the river. All the rest were just wannabees, claiming the fame

I never lived in the Meadows but my Mum came from there. They lived on Glebe Street until 1939 when they moved to Ruddington. Mum was 8 when they left, but she still remembers the time that her mum wh

I agree totally with Michael Wherever I have lived. and I have lived all over the world I have always been proud to tell anyone I am Nottingham born and bred. As they say you can take the kid out of t

My TB class that I can remember. (In no particular order) Boys: Bell, Colson, Dale or Douglas, (can't remember which was surname/first name) Giles, Lester, Pearce Sutton, Malloy, Ryal, Redhead, Spencer, Woodward, Lowskawski, Storey.... Girls: Dilks, Harris, Richards, Dooley, Wiese, Hilda, Downs. There's others but they've escaped from my brain. Anyone recognise any of these names?

Colly, re #5, if the girl last name Hilda, was actually spelled Hilder, then I might know her. I knew a Ann Hilder, lived just off London Rd.

Re # 6.

I left in April 1968 when I moved to Bestwood Village, I then had to start at Beardall st school in Hucknall till I left in July. Downs first name was Ann, think she lived Waterway/Kirkwhite st way.

Re # 10,

Yes could have been Hilder come to think of it, her first name was Margaret, can't for the life of me think where she lived.

Colly, Margaret Hilder was Ann's younger sister, there were 3 boys too, definitely a Lionel, can't remember the other 2's names. I never went to their house but it was across the canal on London Rd.

How about

Dixon

Marriott

Perkins

Rood

Bakewell

Shaw

Woodman

Patrick

Leckie

Glover

Edwoods

Phillips

Pinder

Arnold

Just to name a few

:biggrin: Hi Katyjay, the name: 'Frances Watts', certainly brings back memories; at one time, was she in the Junior Girls' at 'William Crane'? :biggrin:

PS: did she have pretty, long, fair, wavy hair? Or was that a girl name of Angela, who lived on Ainsdale Crescent - her mother was a widow.

Jackson, Frances was my next door neighbour on Amesbury for a few years, I'd guess she came when we were about 8 and she left maybe 2 years later. First moved on Mapperley Top, then Wilford Crescent East. I used to visit her at both these places, but then we got into our teens and lost touch. Out of the blue, she turned up at my wedding, [announcement was in the Post] she was there as I came out the church, she came over and said hello. She was married and had a little boy by then. Never thought to ask what her married name was.

Summers Street - we were the Cooks, and had the Tootins next door and the Luptons on the other side. The family across the street that moved out when their son drowned in the canal were the Priests. The shop next door to the Luptons was run by the Parry's.

There used to be a shop on Bunbury Street town end, the guy who kept it was large with milk bottle bottom glasses.

His name escapes me? He used to sell trays of fresh farm eggs.

:biggrin:Katyjay, I well remember Frances: tall, slim (as we all were back then), long fair hair, softly spoken; didn't know she was your next door neighbour, she lived in a middle house and I thought you lived in a corner, bay windowed one.

I wish, Jackson. I envied those with the bay, they got a bit more room in their living room, usually for the dining table. Susan Marshall lived in a bay windowed house, mine was next door to a bay, 2 doors from the nursery. It was funny really, the house that Frances was in, was one of those rare houses where the tenants changed every couple of years, while just about every other house the folks were in there from marriage to death. Yes Frances was quietly spoken, as was her mother.