Can You Name10

:biggrin:Katyjay, I remember Frances having quite a bit of time off school; we used to wonder where she'd got too as she'd not long been at 'William Crane': her mother was often ill (may have been an invalid) and Frances could have taken time off to look after her - the men being at work.

Do you remember a girl name of Rosemary Jacks who lived on Ainsdale Crescent? She was in a similar situation: the only girl born amongst grown up brothers, I recall Mrs Jacks suffered terribly with rheumatoid arthritis and Rosemary called upon to help her - the men being at work.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't remember a bus depot. Might have been on the edge. The real Medders was the triangle bounded by Arkwright Street, Wilford Road and the river. All the rest were just wannabees, claiming the fame

I never lived in the Meadows but my Mum came from there. They lived on Glebe Street until 1939 when they moved to Ruddington. Mum was 8 when they left, but she still remembers the time that her mum wh

I agree totally with Michael Wherever I have lived. and I have lived all over the world I have always been proud to tell anyone I am Nottingham born and bred. As they say you can take the kid out of t

Perkins from Kirkby st, Marriots Steve and Tony Bunbury st, Beaumont Ian Bruce grove?, I could name loads, Pennant, Bowery, Richards all good footballers. Wheeldon, Oldknow, Hunter, Smith, Marshall, Parker, Hurt, O'dowd, Fletcher. Many more.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1) The Wrights Mam Dad Christine an Rover (The dog)

2) Mrs Duke

3) The Hartleys Mam Dad & Leslie Jack

4) Mrs Wing

5) Mary and Jack Gavin

6) The Rhodes Lawrence, Margaret Anne

7) The Barkers Men Barber & Hairdresser shop

8) The Duncans Corner shop

9) The Hayes Chip shop

10) The Elliots

Perkins from Kirkby st, Marriots Steve and Tony Bunbury st, Beaumont Ian Bruce grove?, I could name loads, Pennant, Bowery, Richards all good footballers. Wheeldon, Oldknow, Hunter, Smith, Marshall, Parker, Hurt, O'dowd, Fletcher. Many more.

was perkins....... rob or Sammy? tony exton (echo)....... Pennant paul????????

http://www.theoldmeadows.co.uk/

I never lived in the meadows but each time we drove through with my dad to visit his mate, the big bus depot always fascinated me. Hope this website helps in some small way

Don't remember a bus depot. Might have been on the edge. The real Medders was the triangle bounded by Arkwright Street, Wilford Road and the river. All the rest were just wannabees, claiming the fame and fortune that belonged to us Medders kids only.

People couldn't just move into the Medders, they had complete an application in triplicate with eight references to their bad character, and then join the waiting list for a few years just to make sure that they weren't just pretending to be of our superior class.

• Upvote 3

I never lived in the Meadows but my Mum came from there. They lived on Glebe Street until 1939 when they moved to Ruddington. Mum was 8 when they left, but she still remembers the time that her mum whisked her indoors as a load of cattle came stampeding into the back yard. Escaped from the cattle market maybe?

My Mums family name was Ball and they can trace their ancestory back to John Ball, the mate of Watt Tyler. Until a few years ago there has always been a John Ball in the family. My geat uncle John Ball followed in his predecessors footsteps being a minister, but was not quite so notorious.

My granddad, Harry Ball, spent his early years in the Royal Navy (we still have his kit bag) and later became an employee for the Weights and Measures department.., part of Customs and Excise.

• Upvote 3

Commo,

Yes indeed, Harry and Doris lived on Rufford Road. Grandads favourite pub was the Red Heart and I believe while he was alive he had his own seat in the pub. If anyone sat in it they were warned that it was Harry's seat!

The neighbours whose names I knew were Mr and Mrs Palmer and Mr and Mrs Hardy.

Darkazana, it's a small world intit?!

The Hardys lived in the adjoining house to your Grand parents, and we, the Palmers, lived in the house on the opposite corner of Upper Canaan. We were there from 1954 and Mum was there 'till she passed away in January 2001.

I lived there until I married in 1968 and then moved over to the other side of the village.