The 2013 Christmas Thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last Christmas eve I sat on Princes street Edinburgh with some homeless, I bought them hot sausage rolls and a hot chocolate drink, I don't know why I did that, it just seemed the right thing to do at

We love Christmas, but I do not allow preparations to start until December, apart from shopping for gifts and making the Christmas puds and cake. It's a time of giving, not necessarily receiving. A ti

Further to that. I am not overly religious but whether it is true or not, I love the Christmas story because in the manic dash for presents and despair of not having enough money to get what someone

Nice one Trevor.

To add to my previous post. I used to spend all Christmas eve getting the kids toys together, like the time it took me 2 hours to erect a Millenium Falcon.

Then when they were older, we used to go to Midnight Mass. I also loved to go and see the grand kids doing the nativity play at school and help when they went with the Rainbows and Brownies to sing Christmas carols at Care Homes.

And with both the kids and grandkids when they were small, seeing the wonder in their eyes when they saw Christmas lights in town. Tears still come to my eyes when I think about it.

Forget the greed and the negative things. You will see that everywhere. The real story of Christmas is of love and peace, Equality and redemption. Whether you believe the story or not, those four items are so important.

• Upvote 5

Last Christmas eve I sat on Princes street Edinburgh with some homeless, I bought them hot sausage rolls and a hot chocolate drink, I don't know why I did that, it just seemed the right thing to do at the time, This year I will probably do the same

Rog

• Upvote 10

My wife and I spend Christmas day at the local homeless shelter, helping to cook, and serve a good traditional dinner.

It is so rewarding to see the look on the faces of these unfortunate people,to know that some people care about them and their troubles.

After the dinner is finished and the clearing up is done, we hand out gifts, and have a good sing-song.

The cost,is a day out of our lives, and some TLC,but the reward is priceless.

What disturbs me,each year we get more young people turning up, and many of them are Afghanistan and Iraq veterans.

• Upvote 4

A lot of squaddies from various modern conflicts have problems with getting their lives together. Maybe it is simply adjusting to civilian life or the trauma of losing mates or seeing them get killed. My Dad once told me that the biggest trauma to ordinary blokes who fought in WW2 was actually having to kill huge quantities of fellow men.

However, where is the help so seriously needed. Do they have anything similar to the British Legion in America?

• Upvote 1

Further to that. I am not overly religious but whether it is true or not, I love the Christmas story because in the manic dash for presents and despair of not having enough money to get what someone dear to you might want, it is a quiet reflection of something very special. Poverty 2,000 years ago was a very different thing to what they call poverty in this country today.

I was not born into this world into riches. Nor have I ever had good looks. I am intelligent but not highly so. But it has taken me most of my life to realise one thing. I have been blessed with the ability to give love to anyone who needs it. So saying I have plenty of love to spare. I can give it freely with loads more where that came from. I just wish I had as much money.

• Upvote 5

Decs up on the first of Dec, me and my daughter will put the tree up and then her and my partner/her dad but the angel on top. That day we eat freshly baked mince pie's made by me. I do love the smell of the Christmas box that's been in the loft all year and fresh warm mince pie's!

Then the run up, it's buying + wrapping the presents. Christmas eve at my parents, Christmas day dinner with my side of the family then boxing day at the in-laws.

Same as every year, although I would love to cook everyone a Christmas dinner myself one year!

Bilbraborn, in answer to your question, yes there is a veterans organization.

The veterans are partly funded by the government, and have some good veterans hospitals, but there is a serious shortage of mental health facilities.

Most of the young veterans that are homeless, suffer with mental health issues, these young men have had 3,4,and even 5 tours of duty in Iraq, Afghanistan, some served in both places.

It's not surprising that they cannot come to terms with their experiences.The veterans organization do the best they can, but they are woefully under funded,a movement began a couple of years ago called 'Wounded Warriors'it is funded by public donations,and to date is doing great.Long may it continue.

• Upvote 1

Reindeer experts say, that both the male and female of the species have antlers. It is also a fact that most Does retain their antlers until spring when they give birth, whereas most Bulls drop their antlers by early December. :)

Do does or don't does? Does do. Doters on does do. Don't say does don't. They do.

Stephen, I agree with you, but I didn't mention that my wife is also blessed as being a very loving and compassionate person. My grandkids can't get much money off us but we sure love'em to bits, and they always come back for more. Their friends love being with us too. Love is free and it is also very powerful. Money comes nowhere near it.

Pixie. Cooking Christmas dinner for lots of people is very tiring but also very rewarding. I love doing it. It is one way to make Christmas Day special for everyone. I love spending Christmas Day at home with all of my family.

Why should we be pc about Christmas Bilbro-lad? We accept Diwali, Ramadhan and Eidd, to name a few, therefore Christmas is also accceptable....it is part of our culture, as are the pagan celebrations of the summer solstice and samhain.

• Upvote 1

I didn't post it as my view on things. It is the view of the City Council whereby every trace of Christianity is removed from the decorations. Never see Santa now, or the nativity (Always my favourite as a child). All we get now are polar bears and fir trees, and square box presents.

Lets just cancel the whole thing. That's my view.

:biggrin: Well said Basfordlad and thanks for reminding me that I've the Fantastic record by Slade to look forward to at Christmas, easily one of the best: 'It's Christmas Everybody!" shouts Noddy; one of the best bands ever :crazy:: "Mama Weer All Crazy Now!" :crazy:

• Upvote 2