The 2013 Christmas Thread

It's not the food that's expensive, just the grabbing bar stewards who make it that way.

I think Gino Washington did appear at one of the Trent side rowing clubs.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last Christmas eve I sat on Princes street Edinburgh with some homeless, I bought them hot sausage rolls and a hot chocolate drink, I don't know why I did that, it just seemed the right thing to do at

We love Christmas, but I do not allow preparations to start until December, apart from shopping for gifts and making the Christmas puds and cake. It's a time of giving, not necessarily receiving. A ti

Further to that. I am not overly religious but whether it is true or not, I love the Christmas story because in the manic dash for presents and despair of not having enough money to get what someone

Well Christmas has started in Holland .

My eldest travelled to Groningen in Northern Holland this morning to see his Mrs and his daughter .His arrival co-incided with that of Swarte Piet .Traditionally it is the day that Swarte Piet (Black Peter) arrives from Spain to help Sinterklaas . Each year a different town takes it in turn to host Swarte Piets arrival and this year was the turn of Groningen and he was greeted by about 50,000 people .

Even after many years of my son living with a Dutch girl I still don't fully understand the whole thing but it leads up to the celebration on 5th December (St.Nicholas day ?) when presents are handed out to all good children . They seem to celebrate Christmas Day the same as us later but it is a more subdued affair .

Swarte Piet is dressed up with black face make up and red lips and each year there seems to be more opposition from the growing ethnic population to the tradition . My daughter in law was going to stay away from the town centre because of expected trouble but decided in the end to risk it .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Seen him in the mid 60's at many locations in Nottm , mostly at the Dungeon.

I think he was a gym instructor with the US army before he started entertaining. He must have kept fit to still do gigs all these years later.

Hi Hi Hi Hazel. It's nice to see you in the neighbourhood. lookin' good now!

It was such a long time ago since I seen yer>

Every one a gem!!

Gino Washington an his Ram Jam band played at the Beachcomber several times, and before at the Brit or rowing clubs, great performers and live ! no back up tapes or other rubbish used nowadays to "enhance" an act.

It's one way of getting back at the grandkids. Boy does it make THEM cringe.

Being as it's Christmas, I think it's time they learned The Hitch-hiker and The mash potato.

• Upvote 1

Or the boogaloo !!!! First strutted at the beachcomber to Jimmy James and the vagabonds !!!!

Not Jimmy James................but great to dance to.........Boogaloo Party- The Flamingos, recall it was Stringfellows signature tune at the Dungeon for a while, unless the memories playing tricks........yet again...............

Come on Paulas. get a grip!! What were we talking about?

Locomotion. Jive. Hand Jive. I think we were all just happy to be alive and free and full of energy.

I used to marvel at the way American kids danced on The Monkees.

AYUP!!!!!! Anyone got their decos up yet?? Mine will go up at the end of the month, then me and the lovely wife will go and look at peoples outdoor lights. There's a cul de sac near us, Roebuck Drive, where nearly all the residents light up their trees in the garden. It's amazing.