Welcome Jane ,

Can't see any mention of that name in the online newspaper archives but they only go up to about 1950s so if it was started after that , won't show up .

My Aunty Flo told me that my grandmother (born 1885) who lived in Radford and Basford worked for a company called Thackerys is this a myth or has anyone heard this?

Jane, I have done a lot of research on my own family history and the details you have given in your two questions on Nottstalgia show some amazing coincidences.

Re; Bloomsgrove Street, and someone called Flo born in Basford in 1885.

Looks like we could be related in some way :happy: .

• Upvote 1

Thackerays Lane probably named after John Lawson Thackeray who was a Lord Mayor in the mid 1800s.

His family owned a lace factory called Forest Mills at Radford . Also a house at Arnot Hill .

Wonder if , on the decline of the lace industry someone set up a jam making concern in part of that factory ?

Lace production ceased in the1950s . More here

http://www.arnold-history-group.org/29743467

Thackerays Lane probably named after John Lawson Thackeray who was a Lord Mayor in the mid 1800s.

His family owned a lace factory called Forest Mills at Radford .

And there are hundreds of photos of it here http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8262&page=3&hl=forest+mills+radford#entry181303

Thackery's Lane must have been named after somebody?

Named after John Thackery, Grandson of Joseph Thackery of the Lace Manufacturing Trade. Joseph came to Nottingham from Manchester to start business due to a spat on Machine Breaking in Lancashire, 1870's. The business past from father to son etc.. His Grandson John built Forest Mills in Radford in 1840 which closed in 1950 which was about the time many Nottingham Lace Manufacturers shut up shop. After the Great Exhibition of 1851 where international recognition of his product came from attaining Gold Medals John took on a Partner, Thomas Hickling. This partnership lasted until 1870 when Thackery took over all assets of the company. John Thackery was also Lord Mayor of Nottingham Twice, 1854 & 1866.

I know nothing of his interests in JAM. Jane, your Aunt Flo was probably right, whilst John Thackery died in 1886, one year after your grandmother was born, the lace business carried on until 1950 as I have mentioned earlier. WHY THE MENTION OF JAM?

My Aunty Flo told me her mother my grandmother worked for a jam factory in nottingham she said it was Thackerays it was rather a disgusting story that my grandmothers sister Liz was being greedy and opened a jar of jam to eat it and found a hair ball in it. I too have tried to find a factory called Thackerays but couldnt find anything. I have only every found my grandmother working in the lace industry until 1905 when she married and moved to Shirebrook. Thank yo for all your posts.

Over a 30 year period from 1890 I found two jam makers in Nottingham.Turpin & Sons,Jam Factory,Lister Gate. And Burton & Sons,Jam Works...no address. This was from an advanced search...strangely neither appeared in the directories under jam/sugar/preserves/or confectionery.

The only Thackeray mentioned is J L Thackeray & Son,Cotton Doublers,Radford and his son John Wild Thackeray JP...this is the family living at Arno Vale.

Lord knows where 'Grannie' worked.Unless of course it was at a later date ie..the 20s or 30s

The Burton and Sons jam factory was part of the well known Burtons provisions company .

According to an EP story of 1905 , Burtons bought the Whitehalls factory that was at the junction of Wollaton St and Goldsmith St.

They split the building up into a number of different units that were rented out to various firms . On one of the floors was the jam-making business .

Unfortunately in 1905 there was a disastrous fire that destroyed the whole factory .I think there are photos of that fire about .

I will try and post the news item as it mentions all the firms in that building .

The Burton and Sons jam factory was part of the well known Burtons provisions company .

According to an EP story of 1905 , Burtons bought the Whitehalls factory that was at the junction of Wollaton St and Goldsmith St.

Unfortunately in 1905 there was a disastrous fire that destroyed the whole factory .I think there are photos of that fire about .

It vaguely rang a bell :happy:http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM010314&prevUrl=

I've seen that picture loads of times on ebay , as there always seems to be a postcard of that fire on offer .

Didn't realise where the factory was situated i.e. on the site of the Gaumont .