Huntingdon St Secondary Modern School

I left in 1962, they were just bringing in the 16 year old leaving age and gave us a chance, if we wanted to, to stay on an extra year..

When we asked what we would be doing in that year, they told us the same stuff we did in the 4th year, so nobody stayed.on...

John Lord, do you recall a snotty young trainee teacher, can't think of his name now, but broke his arm about the time you'd finished your last year..

I left in 1962, they were just bringing in the 16 year old leaving age and gave us a chance, if we wanted to, to stay on an extra year..

When we asked what we would be doing in that year, they told us the same stuff we did in the 4th year, so nobody stayed.on...

Never understood why they didn't teach kids the basics of everyday life in that year...mortgages/tax returns/bank accounts/wiring a plug/putting up shelves. But no...the same old dross.

• Upvote 1

That was him, rhymed...Well you get it...LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

was at hunto until the new school opened {elliot durham] mr tomkins was our form teacher and with little persuasion would describe his time in north africa instead of teaching us lessons got 6 strokes of the cane from mr jewitt luckily the sting has long gone ha!

• 10 months later...

Picking up on this topic Hunto I was there in the juniors then seniors, I left Christmas 1961. I know John Lord,l did not go to the reunion when you came over a while back say hello to Denis Fryer if you see him over there,although will see him when we meet up with a few of the old crowd next, around march time, theres usually about 6 or 8 of us depending who can make it including 1 or 2 of the girls from the juniors.Anyone from that period who wants to make contact please do.

You were one year ahead when I was at Hunto, left in August 1962.

Do any of you ex Hunto lads remember a lad Noon'? i recall playing football against you at school on Gregory blvd and he always stood out,this would be 58/59.

• 4 weeks later...

Did any body on this site go to Hunto between 1960 to 1965 it would be nice to hear from you regards

Huntonian

Hi I was there 61 - 65 Denis Garfoot. See my posts hellothere

Love to hear more from you

Denis

was at hunto until the new school opened {elliot durham] mr tomkins was our form teacher and with little persuasion would describe his time in north africa instead of teaching us lessons got 6 strokes of the cane from mr jewitt luckily the sting has long gone ha!

Hi Same here. I left if July 65, the last year it was there. Which form were you in?

Denis

• 3 years later...

I as there from 1955 to 1959, had some great friends teacher, Mr, Matthews Science, Mr. Houghton English, Mr Spungin Art, Mr Key, Music. Used to walk to Victoria Baths for swimming with Mr Spungin and call at the bakery in Central Market on the way for his bread. Mr Juett was the headmaster. Old pile of a building but what memories

• 1 year later...

I were at hunto juniors before going to Roland green, the problem is, my school days are just a blur and trying to remember the years is difficult. Although i can remember starting off at the nursery on Bath st, at the top of the park. And then going to Shelton st infants and then onto Huntingdon st juniors before going to Roland green. Trying to work out the years though seems hard work for me, for some reason. Maybe someone can do it. I was born in 54. There are things that I do remember when my memory gets jogged.

I too went to Huntington school . I was at Shelton st then onto Huntington. I must have been about 10 when we left to live in Sherwood. We lived right opposite the school at no: 94. This must have been about 1952 because I spent the last junior year at Haydn rd school. I was born in 1942.

When Princess Elizabeth came to Nottingham I think she travelled up Huntington st as my brother and I had our photo taken waving our flags and we certainly didn't go along the roads to cheer her. I vaguely remember her in a big car.