Bonfire night 2013

I used to love bonfire night - rockets in milk bottles (which were unrecyclable afterwards!), jumping crackers, Catherine wheels, sparklers and a variety of others. Penny bangers, twopenny bangers etc. Now we have a dog who is absolutely petrified and sits facing the wall trembling and panting. I know you can get tranquilizers for them - but it just goes on for so long. It used to be an absolute no-no (apart from a few kids larking around - usually on the way home from school) to let them off except on 5 November. Now it seems to start around the middle of October and go on until New Year.

And we didn't all get away with it in those days. I remember a girl a couple of years older than me, who lived only three doors away receiving the full blast of a fairly ordinary firework in her face. This would be about 1957 I guess. She recovered, but was terribly scarred for months if not years afterwards.

Another thing we used to do was tie bangers to the stick of rockets and try to time it so it went off at peak altitude.

We used to unwind catherine wheels and use them like an oxy acetylene welder.

Oh and we used to stick bangers in dog poo and try to time it to go off when someone walked past.

Life was fun as a kid in Bilborough.

Who used to make a 'genie'? Break a banger in half, tip out the gunpowder and lay the fuse next to the little heap and light the touch paper.

We used to do that in the local phone box !

Dog poo on doorstep and knock on door... but not by me I might add.

Or ... dog poo from street, in newspaper, returned to owner of dog, and set alight on doorstep. Ring bell and watch them jump on it to put it out!

Penny bangers with a lump of plasticine moulded on to the end as a weight. Light the fuse, and when fizzing drop into the Memorial Gardens fish pond. Then collect all the stunned fish in jam jars to take home. Worked a treat. :)

I loved the banger and dog poo trick bilbralad. You're right. Us Bilborough kids were little s--ts and not just at bonfire night. we used to send rockets off old Coach Road train bridge straight at the Signal Box. I cringe when I think about it. We used to run and hide in the woods where MKG is now.

:biggrin: Good to see that this thread was well contributed to: at some stage on page 1, I thought it was in danger of dying.

So, Great Guns, the tradition of 'Bonfire Night' and the history of Guy Fawkes lives on................Hip, Hip, Hooray unionflag

Bought a small selection bag of fireworks for little one, but couldn't use two of them because you had to be at least 25metres away.

I cooked hotdogs, sausage rolls, mushy pea's & jacket tatties. She seemed to really enjoy it, and stood going oooh aahhh. Next door watched the fireworks from their window with their little one who apparently loved them!

We had a sky lantern but decided to let it off at the weekend with written messages to our loved ones who are no longer with us. We did the same last year too.

I had one land on a plastic bird bath next to my wooden aviary...it was so hot it welded itself to the plastic.Lord knows what would have happened if it had landed on the felt roof.

nlsu.jpg

We were bought a box of them but have never used them as we had close encounters on the camp site in scarborough last year. They set them off from the castle every weekend. On one occasion due to the wind direction we had several come to earth on the site, one narrowly missing someones awning! A few inches and the result could have been catstrophic.

Don't worry... a few million quid damage/10 years of consultations and meetings on the subject with 50 grands worth of Perrier water consumed...and our wonderful politicians will bring the subject up as a back benchers' question....which will fail of course because they will have run out of parliamentary time due to the extended summer holidays.

Unless of course it affects their expenses...in which case they'll be banned within a week.