Hoveringham or topmix lorries from 50s 60s 70s

Me dad drove the orange hovringham foden tipper,then a guy white top mix concrete mixer,then some strange red old thing when he worked for

trent ready mix,attenbourgh and holme peirpoint.Anything built in50s 60s 70s me dad would have took concrete there,including,clifton bridge, clifton estate,broadmarsh,and so on.

I meant to say "Hoveringham" Andy !

I once used to drive a Commer tipper wagon many years ago, it had a very distinctive 2 stroke engine, I can still hear the bleddy thing in my sleep !

It reminded me of a wagon with a sore throat.

I must have passed your dad on many building sites in the 70s when I was tipping bulk sand out of Bestwood Quarry.

• Upvote 1

No luxuries in them cabs catfan,if my brothers were with me I used to sit on the engine cover in the cab,hot not healthy,but brilliant,spent

bit a time with dad who was always at work,so he could feed his 6 brats,I was middle brat.

• Upvote 1

Yes it did TRICK !

An absolute pile of crap ! One of the first HGVs I drove after getting my license in 1973, mine was a 16T GVW tipper (4 wheeler). Fitted with an Eaton 2 speed axle which I'd never heard of before !

Flat out this wagon would go off the clock when empty (before speed limiters) there were no 56 mph limit in those days ! When loaded this truck was embarrasing to drive, it wouldn't pull you out of bed.

No radio, no heater, no tachograph, ah the good old days.

They were usually noisy like this one.

I meant to say "Hoveringham" Andy !

I once used to drive a Commer tipper wagon many years ago, it had a very distinctive 2 stroke engine, I can still hear the bleddy thing in my sleep !

It reminded me of a wagon with a sore throat.

I must have passed your dad on many building sites in the 70s when I was tipping bulk sand out of Bestwood Quarry.

I was the lucky one in some ways; me dad worked all his life for Hoveringham (fitter on the quarry) and we lived in Thurgarton, opposite the Red Lion. I grew up hearing that fleet of Fodens screaming through the village, getting some steam up to climb the hill to Southwell; I can still pick out a Foden 2-stroke miles away.

Here's one to make you all nostalgic;

15536235486_56556ba457_b.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • 5 weeks later...

The 'Step in easy' cab....clever design doors for shop deliveries on the high street...when open they stuck out from the body by just two inches.Less hazard to traffic and cyclist when drivers were constantly in and out of the cab.

I drove one for Crawfords Biscuits when they first came out.It had a fantastic striking striped paint job.Previously Crawfords wagons were plain red with just the Royal Warrant on the side.Unfortunately I can't find a single picture on the net of any of them.

Seeing that orange lorry scriv ,still brings a tear to my eye,my old

man that won boxing and football medals ,representing nottinghamshire,

then losing his youth fighting for a country by the time of his death

he did not recognise but accepted that modern world change,and typical of his generation worked hard all his life to raise his family,never or hardly ever off sick.God I miss him.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Eaton two speed axles were a pain in the proverbial Ian.

You always had to remember which gear you were in & high or low ratio too.

Also drove a Commer tipper with the two stroke engine & the Eaton too. Not nice at all.

Later on most were fitted with splitter boxes, these were much better.

A lot of wagons & buses these days are automatic gearboxes. NCT I believe have not had a manual gearbox for years.