summut serious

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the chemotherapy has ended I am virtually back where I was before; being normal and not really aware of my cancer condition except for little things that

Right then Miducks. Today my Cardioligist has given me the news I didn't dare hope for. All of my tests results are good and I start reducing a lot of the Heart Meds over the next two weeks. Starting

My last report (page 31, post 770) had my PSA number down to 10.7. It had shot up to 61 before the horse pills (Enzalutamide) arrested its upward trend. Today I went for a routine visit to oncology at

Thank you all for your kind words, they do mean a lot.

I have always helped Sandy out with some of the housework and she has been a great foreman in the garden, but over these last few months my culinary skills have improved and I know how to operate the washing machine.

She is able to have a more comfortable day today so things are less hectic and so I am catching up with you here whilst I can.

• Upvote 6

Stay positive Commo, and let's all hope that things improve in the future. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's health problems, Commo.  Along with all the previous posters on here, I hope that 2017 will be a much better year for you both.  My thoughts and prayers are with you..

I do sympathise, Commo. Living with long term illness is extremely stressful for all concerned and it does tend to be the case that all the rotten things arrive during the same time period. 2016 will soon be over. Hang on in there! Things will improve.

• 2 months later...

Had my blood test last week and yesterday went to see my oncologist for the result. Not good, I'm afraid - the numbers are going the wrong way. Looks like the horse pills are losing their effectiveness. I gave some blood whilst I was at the City and will give more next week, and then see the oncologist again on the 13th. If the numbers go back down then it will show that it was a temporary blip (it happens) and I will carry on as before. However, if the PSA and testosterone numbers continue to rise then it will be the drip-feed chemotherapy. If it comes to this then I have been invited to take part in the trial of a new AstraZeneca cancer drug that is showing good results. I'll say no more because it might not come to that, but I have the feeling that it will.

All the best Chulla, and beware of those testosterone levels ! 

Very sorry to read your post Chulla. I hope that your appointment on the 13th brings good news. Along with all of your NS friends, we will be thinking of you and we wish you well.

Chulla, we're both sorry about the rise in your PSA level and really hope it will be better news at your appointment on the 13th.  Astra-Zeneca is based in our neck of the woods so it must be good!  But hope the problem will resolve itself and you won't need to use them....

Thank you all for your concern. While I was at the hospital I nipped into the eatery for a bite and a coffee. Got talking to a chap who, it turned out, was also a prostate cancer patient. I asked him what is PSA number was when he was originally diagnosed. 'Over 2000' he said. Wow, mine was high at 197. His treatment has been the same as mine, except his Decopeptyl injections are every 3 months instead of 6 months. He is also taking the Xtandi horse pills. His PSA reading is down to 0.7. The lowest mine ever got to was 3. It just shows you how different the effects of the treatment can be.  

If it comes to going for the chemo and the new AZ treatment I will go for it, even though the daily regime is going to be tiresome (but the drip would be for one hour once every week, not daily). We will see - I would have to have ECGs etc before the go-ahead would be given to make sure that I am up to it.

I suppose I should consider myself fortunate in that I would be one of 150 people invited to take part in the trial. However, some of the patients will be given a placebo (ie, they will have the drip chemo and a look-alike inert tablet). Looking at the listed side-effects, they are the ones I am familiar with from the other tablets I am taking for my cancer and heart problem - the only one that is noticeable is tiredness and weariness.

For months I have had a mild stiff neck - nothing bad but it will not go away. Bearing in mind that my cancer has spread to the bones at the top of my spine (neck area) I asked the oncologist if the two might be related. He did not say yes or no but said we will have you in for a CT scan and a bone scan. I am happy with this as it will show if the cancer has spread further.  

Yes Jill, I will keep smiling and laughing. I have always been able to see the funny side of almost everything. This is not funny, but it will not change my attitude to life.

• Upvote 5

Nice one chulla,...........hope things start to improve for you....... found when talking to other blokes during my 'Radiotherapy' it helped a lot,and kept your sense of humour................due for my next PSA blood test next week..........and its always fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

Dave,

I'm really sorry to read of your continuing health issues and wish you well.

I also agree that the 'Keep Smiling' approach is the best whether we are ill or otherwise.

Col