summut serious

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the chemotherapy has ended I am virtually back where I was before; being normal and not really aware of my cancer condition except for little things that

Right then Miducks. Today my Cardioligist has given me the news I didn't dare hope for. All of my tests results are good and I start reducing a lot of the Heart Meds over the next two weeks. Starting

My last report (page 31, post 770) had my PSA number down to 10.7. It had shot up to 61 before the horse pills (Enzalutamide) arrested its upward trend. Today I went for a routine visit to oncology at

Thanks again everyone, your best wishes are appreciated. Jill, are you contending for the Nottstalgian poet laureate position? (the pay's rotten).

No more 'oss pills CF - now its anti-sickness pills (Metoclopramide Hydrochloride), a steroid (Prednisolone) and anti-diarrhoea pills (if needed). I still take the three previous daily tablets. All I need now is a good memory to remember how many of each, how many times a day. lol

Chulla,I can highly recommend the little plastic pill dispensers (not sure what they are called) they have individual daily containers with four compartments for different parts of the day. I have a months supply, and if my meds are staying the same I fill them up, put four away and keep one handy, or you can just fill one weeks supply at a time, it saves having boxes of pills on view all the time. Mine only cost £1 from the cheap shops. Just remember to keep a few in their boxes for hospital visits, the docs like to see the original boxes, which is understandable. I have used this method for about ten years and find it so helpful, I can see at a glance if I miss a pill. Good Luck Miduck.

PS Very handy to slip a days strip in your pocket if you are off gallivanting.

• Upvote 2

I keep my pills in an old "nuts and bolts" dispenser,washed out of course,I have marked the bottom of it with the ones to take AM and ones to take PM,I only used this because I'm a tight wad and wouldn't buy a proper one

P1050589_zpsl41qx9fn.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 3

My auntie in Southwell who is 87 today has her medication delivered to the door, prepacked in something that looks a bit like Rog's nuts and bolts box. There are four compartments for each day, containing what she needs to take. Ingenious really!

Me, I try to wake up around 4am to take my microscopic thyroxine tablet on an empty stomach. I keep the tablets under my pillow and I'm usually half asleep so end up dropping the bl66dy thing in the bed!  :(

I keep my 'medication' in two bottles. One called Jameson's, and the other called J & B. It works fine for me !

• Upvote 2

Paul uses a little box with the compartments for all his medication. He fills it up at the beginning of each week.   Before he started using it, he was often forgetting whether he'd taken certain ones, so it's really helpful

• Upvote 2

Dave, I've only just read your latest 'cos I've been away.  I waon't say 'keep your chin up' because that's your nature anyway.  i'll just say 'all the best'.

I can also recommend the pill box jobbies.  Itake 8 pills per day although only 6 are prescribed.. the others being Omega 3 and a multivit. Since I only have one of each per day.. I just have single compartments and I swallow the lot in one go first thing then it's done..

My Mum had those pre-packed meds as she had a lot of heart problems and who knows what else going on.

Col

Thanks catfan, 'Dosette box' I can never remember the name. Brilliant little invention. It seems that they are quite popular. I had my first ones from 'EastgateMarket' Ingoldmells, mostly now it is from the cheap shops, Poundland etc at £1 a time I can renew as often as I like.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Lizzie I'm fine. A few aches and pains but trying to avoid certain foods. Since mum has been with us I'm eating more biscuits ( hundreds of cuppas a day) and things I dont normally eat. Last year I was so well with walking and watching my diet. This year has gone to pot. I know age has something to do with it too but I could do with losing a couple of pounds. Trousers are getting a bit tight.

Still take my cod liver oil capsules and evening primrose caps. Dont know if they do anything but will carry on with them. C.L.O. I've been taking for years and I rarely have a cold, so they must do some good.

• Upvote 3

Now that I'm popping pills like a hippie, I will have to get myself a dose box - did think about it, now I will.

• 1 month later...

Chemo #4 today. Things seems to have settled down after a very shaky start - won't go into detail but after the first session I was back in the hospital for a four-day stay with neutropenic sepsis and anaphylactic reaction to Tazocin, during which they discovered that I was allergic to penicillin. Things were much better after the third infusion - think they have reduced the chemo dosage.

Further to what I said about the trial, I am not taking the new AstraZeneca tablets, only the chemo. One of the heart electrical signals was too high and has precluded me from having the Part 2 of the trial.

#1049 I don't know. I'm sure! The Alfreton Amazon is always telling us that she is a mardy scaredy cat when she is visited by anything resembling pain. For heaven's sake, gel, your Alma Mata was Manning; didn't they instill into you the value of a stiff upper lip? Why do you think they made you wear grey flannel drawers - character building to prepare you for anything in life. Let's have less Baching and more purring.

• Upvote 4

Ay up, Chulla. Looks like you're another candidate for a cream cake after today's ordeal! Hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

By the way, the only 'stiff' accoutrement at the dreaded Manning was the white games blouse which was supposed to be starched! Mine never was...too uncomfortable.

I'm a self confessed, 5 star, copper bottomed coward when it comes to medical matters so you, Michael Booth and Carni have my utmost admiration! I'll just join you in a cream bun when it's all done and dusted...in the name of solidarity!  ;)

• Upvote 1

The chemo session is not bad, it just that they sometimes have a few stabs at trying to find a vein in the back of your hand. When they find it they then push the cannular needle right in down the vein. The scars from previous IV stabs are still evident. Jill!, Jill!, can you hear me? Quick someone, a glass of water.

• Upvote 3

Sorry you had such a bad reaction to the drugs, Chulla, but did you enjoy your stay in hospital after a while?  The nurses' uniforms these days aren't what they used to be in my day - I'll say no more, but eyes used to follow us up and down the mens' wards - at least in the orthopaedic Ward when all that was wrong with the patients was mostly broken bones and knee cartilage problems....

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave.. your trials make my little moans sound like what they are.. little moans. 

Wishing you well my friend.

Col

Yes, Margie, although I wasn't expecting anything other than an overnight stay, I did quite enjoy it. The nursing was excellent in every regard, and the food also, and when the 'problem' occurred they displayed what I considered to be superb professionalism and totally stabilised me within two hours. Before I was discharged  I told one of the seniors that he had an excellent team, and I meant it.

• Upvote 1

I am at a bit of a loose end so I just keep checking NS throughout the day whilst awaiting my 6.15pm appointment.

Just read your post Chulla. I wish you all the best Miduck and we are all rooting for you.:)

Hang in there, Dave.  We're all rootin' for yer.  Yer never know I might even pray for yer.  :dry:

Edited to add:. And you too, Carni.  I'm sure all will go well for yer.  Soon be cream cake time.  :)

• Upvote 1

It's being so cheerful that keep me going (Itma catchphrase)

• Upvote 2