summut serious

Just found this thread and would like to join in. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last January. I had always had a waterworks problem since when I was young, so ignored what I now know were the signs of PC, thinking it was getting worse with age (74). When it did not go away I reluctantly went to see the doctor, who shoved his finger up my rear-end and said he thought it was PC and sent me for a blood test to check something called my PSA. It was 197. On to the urology department at the City (Mr Walton) who snipped bits out of the prostate - which he said was as big a grapefruit - and sent them off for a biopsy. Prostate cancer confirmed, with a Gleason score of 8, and I joined the average of twelve men a week who are diagnosed at the City. The cancer had spread to the outer wall of the prostate and so was termed advanced with the rating of T3b. I had a bone scan at the QMC, which showed no sign of presence there.

I was told that because of my age they do not remove the prostate because it can/does cause severe incontinence problems, and they chose to go for hormone treatment to stop the cancer from growing and spreading. I had the injection and three months later had another PSA check. It had gone down to a figure of just 14. I was given a lot of information about PC and have since found other interesting sites on the internet. A particularly good one is http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/prostate-cancer by the University of Maryland.

I had a second hormone injection after three months, and have just had my third, which will last for six months. I have to say that I feel no different from any other time in my life, and if I had not been told that I had PC I would still not have known. The only effects experienced are hot sweats and the loss of libido.

Incidentally, I asked the urologist what the highest PSA count was that he had dealt with - 15,000! I was also told of an old man patient who had a Gleason score of 10, the maximum - cancer throughout the whole of the prostate - but his PSA was only 6.

I would strongly advise any man over 60, no matter how fit and healthy he is, to have a PSA check. This disease catches men out so easily. Don't wait until you have trouble passing water.

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the chemotherapy has ended I am virtually back where I was before; being normal and not really aware of my cancer condition except for little things that

Right then Miducks. Today my Cardioligist has given me the news I didn't dare hope for. All of my tests results are good and I start reducing a lot of the Heart Meds over the next two weeks. Starting

My last report (page 31, post 770) had my PSA number down to 10.7. It had shot up to 61 before the horse pills (Enzalutamide) arrested its upward trend. Today I went for a routine visit to oncology at

Well if we're talking numbers, my husband was diagnosed with PC two years ago. A couple of years earlier he'd had a PSA blood test and the reading was around 4. Then 2 years ago he was offered another PSA and this time it was 7 so our GP suggested he had a biopsy. The result of this was a Gleeson score of 9 and a diagnosis that he had an aggressive cancer of the prostate. He then underwent hormone treatment, to shrink the prostate and six months later had 37 radiotherapy sessions. A year after that treatment his PSA was 0.10, six months later it was 0.12. The next blood test is due early September. The safe range for PSA is between 0.00 and 4.40.

I wish you chaps going through blood tests and treatment all the best. Having gone through the worry of a diagnosis and then treatment with my husband I know it's not easy to deal with but it certainly makes sense not to ignore any symptoms.

• Upvote 2

I find it quite sad that so many of the Nottstalgians have health problems, of varying degrees. It's good though that we can all come onto Nottstalgia and give each other advice and support. At the moment we have carni in hospital, because of her heart problems, and she stated, as did catfan, TGC, Stephen Ford and others, how much our messages meant to them. When I had my hernia operation the posts and messages I received really cheered me up. I've been reading the posts on this topic and thought that I'd just state how important we are to each other when we're at a low ebb because of our illness.

• Upvote 6

Andy, the good thing is that you're being constantly monitored by the hospital and any further treatment you may need will be readily available to you. We saw on the local news the other night that a new radiotherapy machine has been set up at the City Hospital that is more exact with the doses of radiotherapy given ....... that's welcome news. We know a physicist who works on that department and were actually talking to him today (in the pub!!) about the new equipment.

Lizzie I hope it does'ent sound like I am moaning , I know I am lucky to have had a good surgeon and I am confident I will receive 1st

Class treatment ,but unlike me some people do not get early diagnosis ,the earlier the diagnosis the more choice of treatment.

dave will be 7years in oct since his diognosis he has been in remission now for six and a half years . he had to have 8 weeks radidation he had no problems with this some people not even dry skin he said he never felt any pain at all while having this treat hope this helps put your mind at ease.

• Upvote 1

I HAD the last of my 'Radiotherapy' on May 12th,my PSA had been 7.9( prior to this),i had been worrying what it would be after the next bloodtest,the nurse rang me last week and said its now 0.0 something did'nt hear the last digits i was too elated, :)

• Upvote 9

I'm so happy for you Benjamin. I had no idea about this illness until so many of you have been diagnosed with it, and brought it to light on Nottstalgia. I hope you continue to get the good results and keep well for the future :)

• Upvote 1

Reading this thread has taught me one thing, how important the PSA test is. I've had numerous blood tests recently but not a PSA test as far as I know.

So this Friday I see my doc & will ask for this test.

Thank you for the heads up a.charlsworth........Good advice.

• Upvote 3

Catfan there is a very high rate of men with prostate problems not always cancer,but what ever the result prostate is

as I understand in most cases curable if diagnosed,so don't worry.Men tend to discuss and come to the conclusion that one size fits all and of course every individual is different ,and that is why you should seek medical advice ,speak to your gp

Ditto to what Lizzie said. Al the best.

• Upvote 1

Thank you my surgeon assures me I will be fine and posts from my fellow nostalgia has put my mind at rest 're radiotherapy.I hope our friend catfan gets the all clear today from his doctor 're his psa enquiry.

Andy, all the very best wishes for your forthcoming treatment, hopefully all will go well & you'll make a full recovery very soon.

• Upvote 1