summut serious

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. I must say I do feel very down about it. BUT, as my Nannar would say "Worse things happen at sea" I had better not go to Skeg this week then, in case I get tempted to go for a swim!! "Lost a bob and found a tanner" comes to mind. lol.:)

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the chemotherapy has ended I am virtually back where I was before; being normal and not really aware of my cancer condition except for little things that

Right then Miducks. Today my Cardioligist has given me the news I didn't dare hope for. All of my tests results are good and I start reducing a lot of the Heart Meds over the next two weeks. Starting

My last report (page 31, post 770) had my PSA number down to 10.7. It had shot up to 61 before the horse pills (Enzalutamide) arrested its upward trend. Today I went for a routine visit to oncology at

#812. I shouldn't criticize the NHS after what they are doing for me, but does anyone do overtime to clear a backlog? If this was an engineering job that had to be got out by a certain date, workers would be staying late or whatever to meet that date. Do the NHS labs and operating theatres close at 5 O'clock on Fridays? Maybe I am being harsh on them, but having to wait another two months does seem excessive, particularly when you think that the problem in the lab would soon be fixed.

• Upvote 1

No idea Chulla; but  I have battled with all sorts of not very nice thoughts about it all. When my surgeon came to me and her first words were, I know you are a strong lady and I have had a dilemma whether to pre warn you of this news ( 10mins before blast off) or let the day take its course and tell you when we are positive, but we have a technical problem in the Lab and there is a 90% chance my procedure wont go ahead. I replied that I will hang on to the 10% chance it might go ahead, and I asked her opinion of that, to which she shook her head and confirmed it wasn't really going to happen.

There are three labs, the lady in the next bed was taken to one, the other was kept for emergencies (which I understand and and agree with) and mine!

I was devastated because the onset off yesterday has caused me so much anxiety over the last few weeks, the worry has almost ruled my life. I needed to get it over with! If it had been an emergency patient it would have been easier to accept. Anyway. I have now unloaded my thoughts so I wont go on about it anymore. 

• Upvote 6

You never know, Carni, they might call you in at short notice as happened to my 86 year old auntie recently. She wasn't due for her pre med assessment until 24th of this month but they called her on 03 October for assessment the following day and she had the procedure the day after that. She had no time to think about it. Apparently, they are allocating extra resources to clear the waiting lists.

She's fine now. So, don't despair. Good things do happen! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Re # 828. My youngest daughter spent 15 years nursing between QMC and the City. She ALWAYS worked the shifts that nobody else wanted. Nights, Weekends, Bank Holidays, Easter, Christmas everything. She always said it paid the most money for the least hours worked. There was always plenty of overtime then too. 

I feel for you Carni and I am very sorry that your op couldnt go ahead. With there being 3 labs why couldnt you be put into the one that was working. If your op was programmed surely they would have placed you in another lab even if you had to wait a few hours or even a full day. Also why do the medical staff have weekends off? They work in hospitals dont they and medical attention is required 24/7- 52/12. 

I now realise why I was discharged on Fridays

Carni please relax, I know its hard and frustrating but it wont do you any good whittling about it.

Have a good rest and do the things you like to do and are able to. Your husband needs to spoil you.

Hugs Brenda 

• Upvote 3

I have to disagree phil. As a grateful recipient of the NHS I can only say because of the NHS I'm still alive & not bankrupt !

ask one of our American cousins about health charges in a country without the NHS !

• Upvote 2

The NHS, along with Local Government, knows how to waste money, time and resources...boy, don't they just! It defies credibility. If I had my way, I'd fire everyone who couldn't do their job efficiently. There would be very few left. There are too many people these days who just want to be paid extortionate salaries for doing s*d all. Those who care about doing a good job end up overburdened. It's time it stopped!

• Upvote 1

Just to add a little humour in carni's predicament, go to Holby City. There, people enter the ward and are in the operating theatre before you can say Jack Robinson. Never ever a delay. Not only that, after having their chests cut open from chin to belly button, they are back in their beds all bright and chirpy within a couple of hours. Clearly, that's the hospital to go to.

• Upvote 4

In the days when Peak Practice was on tv...and it was filmed in my neck of the woods until local farmers got hacked off with em closing the roads at harvest time...not only were they in hospital the day after presenting at their surgery with a problem, their GP went with them to hold their hand, sit on the bed and whisper words of encouragement!

Like something out of Aristotle's Cloud Cuckoo Land. Most locals couldn't get a GP appointment for 6 weeks and were in there for only as long as it took said medic to sign the prescription!

Guffaw, guffaw! Who do they think they're kidding? ;)

Ive had little experience of NHS in Nottingham apart from my two pregnances and my tonsils out. Oh and when I fell off my bike Christmas Day.

Here as in US we sort of pay for medical attention. Local GP is free as are ops at hospital. Some exams are free whilst others we pay for the " ticket" . A lot of people pay as private patients which I dont agree with but do it if necessary. The health service at least in this area is very good not so much in the south from all accounts.

If I have to cancel an appointment for my checkups or it is cancelled for other reasons at the hospital I always get another appontment within a few days. I suppose I am lucky.

I agree with you, Chulla,  about Holby City!  

When Paul had a heart bypass 7 years ago in Papworth Hospital, he had the 4  - 5 hour op then was taken into the Critical Care Unit,  as were all the heart patients.  Here, he was kept heavily sedated  with one nurse, just for him, sitting at the end of the bed.  This nurse monitored all the machines that Paul was wired up to.  I visited him while this was happening and walking through the ward that evening was like something from a sci fi film where bodies are being kept alive for some reason!  After about 2 hours, the doctor had to be called as he was bleeding quite heavily from the drain and he  had to be returned quickly to theatre to be re-opened,  the bleeding located and then stopped.  All this before he had been woken up from the first op!   I stayed all night in the visitors' room, being allowed to go in and see him when he was safely back again.  One of our sons drove over from Bicester in the middle of the night to bring me a flask of tea, some sandwiches and fruit and keep me company for a bit.  I really appreciated that.  He texted me when he arrived and I  had to go to the main hospital door and let him in as it was locked at night.  (Papworth isn't like a big hospital with lots of coming and going at night and food outlets etc). He was also allowed in to see his Dad who still looked very corpse-like!  He had been asleep for over 10 hours when they finally woke him up.  

Certainly not like Holby City!

• Upvote 3

How you feeling now Chulla better I hope and you too Carni ,will read back to see how you are.

We went to emmerdale village its self not the studio,lot of walking but we enjoyed it,going to Bletchley park next saturday Im going to be crean crackered .

• Upvote 1

Sorry Carnie,just read back,missed your posting while I was away,...........glad you got your date mi-duck...............

• Upvote 1
On 22/10/2016 at 11:04 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

The NHS, along with Local Government, knows how to waste money, time and resources...boy, don't they just! It defies credibility. If I had my way, I'd fire everyone who couldn't do their job efficiently. There would be very few left. There are too many people these days who just want to be paid extortionate salaries for doing s*d all. Those who care about doing a good job end up overburdened. It's time it stopped!

Few examples Jill?  With evidence?

Col

Employing agency temps who clearly won't be able to cope with the job (obvious after 4 or 5 days) but refusing to get rid of them for weeks, thus preventing staff from getting through their own workloads due to having to prop up temporary workers who are being paid more than they are!

Spending money on trendy furniture no one ever uses/fancy perspex framed notices that announce "kitchen", "toilet" etc when it is obvious what these places are. At the same time, people are using clapped out laptops which break down or half the keys don't connect but are told there is no money for new ones.

I could go on all day but I won't!

• Upvote 1