summut serious

16 hours ago, MargieH said:

The nurses' uniforms these days aren't what they used to be in my day - I'll say no more, but eyes used to follow us up and down the mens' wards - at least in the orthopaedic Ward when all that was wrong with the patients was mostly broken bones and knee cartilage problems....

How on earth did you keep those crisp whites clean, Margie? The nurses always look so elegant and refined, times changed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the chemotherapy has ended I am virtually back where I was before; being normal and not really aware of my cancer condition except for little things that

Right then Miducks. Today my Cardioligist has given me the news I didn't dare hope for. All of my tests results are good and I start reducing a lot of the Heart Meds over the next two weeks. Starting

My last report (page 31, post 770) had my PSA number down to 10.7. It had shot up to 61 before the horse pills (Enzalutamide) arrested its upward trend. Today I went for a routine visit to oncology at

ABA. Not sure that 'elegant and refined' are quite the right words to use!  Luckily, we didn't have to worry about keeping our uniforms clean - they were laundered daily at the hospital.  There was quite a skill in the way our caps were folded, though.  I'll try and find a picture that I can post somewhere on NS.

• Upvote 1

We only wore our uniforms within the hospital grounds.  If we needed to travel to work we had to wear our ordinary clothes and change into uniform when we got to the hospital - there were changing rooms with lockers for our clothes.  So I suppose there were restrictions, but we never thought of them as such ... it was just what we did.  When living in the nurses' home we were able to put uniforms on in our rooms before we went to work, but these buildings were always in the hospital grounds.  I have a photo of me wearing uniform at my parent's house but that was when I'd had to accompany a patient in an ambulance to a different hospital and we stopped off at my house, as we were passing it on the journey back.  I'll try and post the photo using postimage later today

• Upvote 2

Hope this photo comes out OK.  I'm using postimage .. it's a bit dark but you can see the pleated cap and my cape.  It was the uniform while I was at Leicester Royal Infirmary

%5Burl=https://postimg.org/image/4t9lbp6qz/%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://s25.postimg.org/8pmx7orqn/IMG_2689.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D

Nice picture Margie,my daughter is a ward sister at Leicester Royal but wears trousers and top

Rog

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Nice picture Margie,my daughter is a ward sister at Leicester Royal but wears trousers and top

Rog

Which Ward is she the sister on?  It was only the older part of the hospital when I was there - wonder if  that part has been demolished.   I was in charge of Marriott Ward at one point - that used to be the Female Medical Ward.  Under the hospital used to be like a rabbit warren with lots of passages - I remember going to doctors' parties down there!

Don't know what the ward is but it's for babies and children with heart problems

Rog

Margie I was interested that you were a nurse in Leicester. My uncle was a nurse who started in the north of england and eventually ended in Leicester and became 10 th male matron but not sure where. He was ordained Deacon in 1979 and ordained Priest in 1980. He had worked in Ulveston , Manchester and Rochdale. Sadly he died a few years ago.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while since I updated my prostate cancer goings-on. Much has happened since the last post.

I have had seven chemo infusions out of the ten programmed. Each one, after a week made me feel very tired, lethargic and totally worn out. After a few days it goes away until the next time. After the seventh session, however, it did not go away and I had the same feeling as after the first session, that put me in hospital (that I have reported on). The problem is that the chemo reduces the resistance to infections. I felt so ill, but without any pain, that we called the doctor. He came, gave me a good examination and promptly sent for the ambulance. The para-medics came, plugged me into their equipment and said that they would not have me walking to the ambulance. They stretched me out of the living room.

At the A&E they gave me a CT scan and at 3.30am in the morning transferred me to the City hospital. Not much traffic on Western Boulevard at that hour. They admitted me and it transpired that I had pneumonia. I was discharged four days later.

The upshot of all this is that oncology has stopped the chemo treatment because of the adverse effect it is having on me. It affects some others the same way, to a lesser extent mainly. I am no longer taking part in the aforementioned AstraZeneca trial programme. That was eight weeks ago and now my hair is growing back, and my nails. My PSA reading is climbing again. It is now 40 at the last blood sample. Am seeing the oncologist next week, so will be interesting to see if he has some other treatment up his sleeve.

When I was in hospital they loaned me a walking-stick, as I am not too good with my balance. I weary easily, but generally I feel OK otherwise.

• Upvote 5

Can’t give you a ‘Like’ Chulla because of the ongoing problems and concerns you are experiencing.  I do hope that Dr Sundar will have some miracle treatment to try on you that hopefully won’t make you feel so poorly afterwards.  Thinking of you and wishing you well.  

• Like 3

I think we've finally discovered a reason for the difference between giving a post a "Like" or an "Upvote".  It enables people to show sympathy or concern about what has been said, without liking it.

So on Chulla's post I've deliberately clicked on "Upvote" rather than "Like". 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chulla, I'm sure that we all hope for the best for you and I will pray for a positive outcome as soon as possible. The monstrous irony of chemo is that you submit yourself to poisoning your system in order to deal with the organism that is attacking the self same system, because the alternative to not so doing is unthinkable. You are keeping strong and positive my friend, you just keep organising the meet ups and continue your banter with Jill!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for clearing the mud re upvotes, Cliff Ton.  Now at least we know what the difference is :)

• Like 1

Margie, was reading through this thread yesterday and saw the picture of yourself in uniform.  My daughter in law is here with me, she was a siser at the RVI the rule still stands can't wear uniform to or from work.  She now works in the private sector but has not ruled out a return in the future.

Her comment was how smart you looked and very proud of your profession.

• Like 1

I don't get upvotes on my iPad.  I just get the choice of a heart or a green arrow.  I just thought the arrow was a like and the heart was a love.

I wish we had lots of options like on Facebook (like, love, funny, wow, sad, angry)

• Upvote 1

Far too simple Rog....... There ought to be a thumbs down icon for 'Rubbish!'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So, someone tell me again.... the green arrow is ....what?     And  the heart is .... what?   I need to know because I might have been doing it wrong all this time!  

put the mouse pointer on the heart shape until it highlights,slide mouse pointer to the left and "upvote" will appear,left click if thats what you want, if you want to "like" just put mouse pointer on the heart and "like" will appear,left click that if you want to like a post

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

So, someone tell me again.... the green arrow is ....what?     And  the heart is .... what?   I need to know because I might have been doing it wrong all this time!  

I think Rog covered it pretty well, but I think the arrow is an upvote.  The heart is a like.  I do it but then forget what I did.  :blush:

• Like 1