summut serious

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Now that the chemotherapy has ended I am virtually back where I was before; being normal and not really aware of my cancer condition except for little things that

Right then Miducks. Today my Cardioligist has given me the news I didn't dare hope for. All of my tests results are good and I start reducing a lot of the Heart Meds over the next two weeks. Starting

My last report (page 31, post 770) had my PSA number down to 10.7. It had shot up to 61 before the horse pills (Enzalutamide) arrested its upward trend. Today I went for a routine visit to oncology at

1 hour ago, Chulla said:

Apart from being a little wobbly on my feet I feel right as rain. This, I believe, is a result of a left ear problem.

Oh aye? Wouldn't be the Tibetan tipple would it? I wouldn't blame you after that lot! ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement. Of concern is the fact that my PSA score is now higher than when I was first diagnosed four years ago (not three years as I previously said). This did not seem to bother the oncologist, who said it was not unusual. He said that they had a number of treatments to try, but for the time being he just changed the steroid, and said he would see me in 12 weeks time. So doesn't seem to be any urgency.   On the positive side my nails have grown back and my hair is coming back nicely.

I like it when my appointments are in the 11 to 12 o'clock period because I can then have a bite to eat in the Eat Well food place. My favourite is the bacon and cheese Panini, which they heat up before serving. Yum, yum.

I have to be secretive, Jill, with regard to my Tibetan tipple. My religion forbids me to drink alcohol but the voluminous saffron robe is ideal for hiding a hip-flask with a drop of John Smiths in it.

• Like 6

Chulla I wish you well mate.

End of November I had my usual annual blood tests, here in oz we have a them as a normal screening test for any nasties that may show up.

All good till I get the call from my GP asking me to make an appointment, well my PSA appeared to have jumped a bit so rather then embarrass the both of us (my doc is a female) she made me an appointment to see a male urologist.

Long story short story, I had 3D MRI which found a lesion so then the dreaded biopsy which not only gave me septicemia and a 4 day hospital stay on intravenous antibiotics, but diagnosed intermediate prostrate cancer too !

After the initial shock and horror, then the depression and panic attacks, I'm now awaiting to start my 7 weeks radio therapy in a week or so.

They assure me the prognosis is good as the cancer is contained, but they will not operate as I have a couple of other issues that mean a major op could be risky.

On top of this I  lost my dog a week after my diagnosis, she was my faithful friend for nearly 10 years but went downhill suddenly with some nasty auto immune thing, she only managed 4 days till we had to have her peacefully put to sleep.

So overall I've had a really shit Christmas and early new year. The happy pills my doc gave me seem to be doing there thing and my demeanor has improved, I still hope to be able to join you guys for a beer some time in July this year, as long as all goes well.

Think I need a good holiday after all this crap that's assuming I get through it all.

• Like 1

And I wish you well, Banjo. My oncologist told me that if you had to have cancer, the best one is prostate because they have many alternative treatments. 

My experience was different to yours. When it was confirmed that I did have PC, my attitude was 'Oh well, let's see how it goes'. The biopsy was straight forward. A camera and a snipper was inserted  up me back-end and he took ten samples, only half of which I felt, as a pin prick.

No radiotherapy for me as the cancer has broken out of the prostate (metasticised) and spread. Warning! don't leave it too late before getting yourself checked at your GP, which is why I have contributed to this thread in a fulsome manner.

I have given you a Like, Banjo, for being open about your problem.

Please let us know if you have any definite details of your proposed visit. July sounds just about right as it falls between the official meeting dates. I feel a mid-day meeting coming on.

• Like 4

I dread Christmas too, Banjo and the last one was pure hell due to the collapse of a close friend, blue lighting to hospital and everything else going wrong.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your faithful friend. I know the heartache that brings only too well.

The collapsee is coming on a visit this morning with his occupational therapists to assess how well he can cope with a stay at my abode prior to going home. I suspect he won't manage the stairs and a hospital bed will be necessary. Looks like I'll be doing some furniture moving! 

• Like 1

Banjo, so sorry you've had such a difficult time over the last few weeks but it's good that the cancer is contained.  I hope the radiotherapy course won't be too traumatic for you  -  please keep letting us know how it goes.  Sharing your experiences on here with relative strangers can be helpful, I think.

And then, the loss of your dog.....  I feel  for you, as do many on here I suspect.   Pets become part of the family, don't they...   Thinking of you x

• Like 2

Your story of diagnosis is very familiar Banjo, the same happened to my husband, he also ended up with septicaemia following the biopsy and spent several days in City Hospital, and not remembering anything of those days.  He was told he had ‘aggressive’  Prostate Cancer.   He had the 37 radiotherapy sessions, as is the norm, and that is now 5 years ago. He doesn’t need to see the oncologist until later this year, which will be 12 months since the last blood tests.  

We wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you here in Nottingham in a few months time.  

• Like 1

Dave, Banjo and anyone else suffering.  I wish you all well.

Col

• Like 1

Well, the collapsee amazed us all by climbing the stairs this morning and making himself toast and coffee in the kitchen. Apart from a couple of temporary aids to assist, he ticked all the boxes and will be discharged on Sunday.

He's very lucky. For a man who came very close to death, his only medication is Levothyroxine. All this has made him think...as it should...about how much his 6 weeks in hospital has cost the NHS. It made him realise, too, how hard those employees work and how short staffed they are. His treatment, scans, bed, meals and everything else would have amounted to many thousands of pounds anywhere else. We are very lucky in this country.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Ey up Banjo,

you have my thoughts with you, as Lizzie said you in good company on here.......when I joined the forum I was waiting for my 'Radiotherapy' to commence, and I joined the forum to take my mind off it,   what a Prat ,.......someone started talking about it,  obviously joined in.

Anyway Banjo you be fine, mine was intermediate  like yours and touch wood now done with,...............god bless mate .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 24/01/2018 at 7:31 AM, Chulla said:

which is why I have contributed to this thread in a fulsome manner.

Apologies, I should not have used the word 'fulsome'. I meant to mean in an open and detailed manner.