Leaving Victoria Station and arriving at Leicester . This is the one where I am sure you just get a glimpse of the Widdowsons building .

The contrasts a bit out but you can make out the Castle in the higher background

Messed this one up....have to wait for the dialogue to finish then views of the Square

This one of the Wilford Road factories and warehouses identified by CliffTon .

I agree with the Widdowsons building (#26) which was in Broad Marsh. So the buildings which you see before that appears are all those which were on or near New Bridge Street and disappeared when the open-air bus station was created in the 1950s.

Going back to the streets in #21 and #24, I'm wondering if Forest Fields/Berridge Road area might fit? That has a lot of cross roads and houses of the appropriate style.

Bamber , I think you could be right about Magdala Rd . Some of the stone walling on the house used , looks similar too but all the foliage makes it difficult to find which house is used in the film .

DJB , I have searched for other movies filmed on location in Notts pre 1950s in the news archives but nothing yet .

The house itself is not on Magdala Road: it lacks a front garden.

In fact looking more closely at the exterior of the house I am now of the opinion that it is, in fact, a set. The garden wall is made from the wrong kind of stone - it should be Bulwell sandstone - and the foliage on the trees and bushes seems to be fluttering just a bit too much. Perhaps a wind machine off-camera?

• Upvote 1

Bamber if you read the Evening Post article on post #1 it does say the two houses used in the sets are real locations . I will post a picture of the more grander house when I get time .

Scene showing the Manor House in unknown location ?

This the photograph of the stars of the film at the Council House whilst on location . Doesn't name the Sheriff of Nottingham but there is a choice of two :

• 1943/44 Francis Carney
  • 1944/45 Wilfred B.Bland

10827357926_21c948a6b2_z.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Nottingham movie clips of 1947.

This site of Movietone news clips isn't very tablet friendly so won't post a direct link . I can only watch it thumbnail size on my tablet .

However if you go down to the third thumbnail here, I am sure some of the clips used in They Knew Mr Knight appear here too . Similar shot of Vic .Station The trains arriving will be at Leicester station same as the film .

Also a longer shot of Ebers Road ?

The clip below it of 1938 ARP drills also interesting in a derelict looking area ?

http://www.aparchive.com/search?startd=&endd=01%2F01%2F1949&allFilters=&query=nottingham&advsearchStartDateFilter=&advsearchEndDateFilter=01%2F01%2F1949&searchFilterHdSDFormat=All&searchFilterDigitized=All&searchFiltercolorFormat=All&searchFilteraspectratioFormat=All#allFilters=1,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That third thumbnail is really good, some of the best footage of old Nottingham I've seen. And it enlarges up to full-screen format and is still good quality.

I agree with Ebers Road; and I've never seen exterior shots of Victoria Station from that angle before. I also like the sequence around 4:40 where a trolleybus moves off and then a crowd of people coming running after it to jump on while it's moving. You can't do that these days.

• Upvote 2

Yes now having viewed it on the laptop much better !

Looks like a lingering shot of Mansfield Road too that doesn't appear in the movie .

Notice how well everyone is dressed !

• Upvote 1

Looks a great film. I've just tried the link on #6 but it appears to be broken.

Are there any other links?

Can only assume the link in #6 timed out or DJBRENTON took it down .Have seen it for sale on a couple of sites for a fiver or less but to be honest the clips shown here are more or less all the outside scenes you see .

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 12/11/2013 at 10:36 AM, DAVIDW said:

Should be public now !

Next scene on unknown road . Other streets can be fleetingly seen through car window .

So what was the storyline of the film? He says "I expect they'll know who I am", so now I'm intrigued, who was Mr Knight? Enjoyed those clips. Sadly I cannot download the film because it says it's expired. I like stuff like this especially if some connection i.e location or actor. I did laugh at the schoolboy's face when he turned around. He's like one of those 30year olds we see on the news trying to pass themselves off as child migrants.

IMG_8496.JPG.052ba85208605cf4350d8e1dc6d3e7c9.JPG

I just searched it on Wikipedia and it says the film made a loss.

One thing I did notice in the Wiki info is the details of who wrote the film; One name mentioned is Victor MacLure and although the spelling is slightly different, I wondered if he could possibly be a Grandfather of the wonderful Wollaton actress Vicky McClure. I know people in the arts often have roots laid firmly in the past.

Long time since I watched it but as far as I remember Mr. Knight was supposedly an important rich businessman .

He met the character played by Mervyn John's on the train .

He befriended him and Knight persuaded him to invest a lot of money in an investment . 

This business went bust and the John's character and business lost everything and ended up in jail (can't remember why).

He came out the clink and had to start again from scratch. 

Basic theme was if things look too good to be true they probably are ! 

Not sure who Mr Maclure was but the film was written by Dorothy Whipple , wife of Henry Whipple who was a Director of Education in Nott's .

• 3 weeks later...

A certain Nottingham nostalgic Facebook site has picked up on the YouTube clips from the film 

One good thing from it though is a link to a streamed copy of the 1946 film .

https://free-classic-movies.com/movies-04/04-1946-03-04-They-Knew-Mr-Knight/index.php

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

Very interesting. Seems like everybody in those years talked with a plum in their mouths. Its lovely to hear but it wouldn't go nowadays. Will definitely  try to watch the film later. 

• Upvote 1

We have How interesting!  My husband and I are avid fans of the Freeview channel Talking Pictures and have just watched, and recorded,They Knew Mr Knight. We thoroughly enjoyed it and although we have never been to Nottingham (we live on the south coast in Gosport, Hampshire) we love to see scenes from the past, of any locations.  It was shown on Sunday last and again today.  Keep looking out for it to be scheduled again, or google Renown Films and contact them for information.  We will transfer it from our hard drive to a dvd and keep with the dozens of other lovely old films for future viewing! 

Pat Harrop 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...