Coming home from school in the 50s and 60s

Meltonstilton, what year did you have your paper round in Langar?

I delivered the Evening Post in 1967,68 and a little in 1969, on Saturday I did a 2nd round with The Football post, I did not collect the money for the papers, that was Mrs Goddard's job she lived at n°5 Earl Howe Crescent,

Melton, then you must have delivered our paper, we lived at 25 Musters Rd next door to Hill Farm [Tom & Alice Page] Moved in Sept 68 and left in June 75

Melton, then you must have delivered our paper, we lived at 25 Musters Rd next door to Hill Farm [Tom & Alice Page] Moved in Sept 68 and left in June 75

Tom and Alice were my aunt and uncle on my mothers side, I remember your house, and delivering papers to you, it just goes to show it's a small world...

They were a lovely couple, kind of adopted us when we moved there, as they had no children. Fresh cream straight off the top of the milk churn, yum. And Alice always had a chocolate cake at the ready. We spent many a happy hour with them. Did you know Ron Watchorn, he was a frequent visitor there?

• Upvote 1

I cannot remember Ron too much, but I do remember Ada Watchhorn, also Jack Starbuck who at times worked for Tom,

I used to live down Main Street in a house called Badger cottage.

I don't know if you know about it, but here is a link to the village history page on the parish council website, you will find some photos of Tom's farm on it......

http://www.langarbarnstone.com/local/local-history/

• Upvote 1

MELTONSTILTON, it really is amazing to find that you delivered newspapers to katyjay's house when she was living there. I wonder if that was katyjay's house in the background of image 1 (#32). Who'd have thought then that, years later, you'd be living in France and katyjay would be living in Arizona, USA. I hope it was katyjay's house because she'd then have a nice memento of her time there. Your Uncle Tom and Aunty Alice seem a really nice couple and the chocolate cake sounded nice, too....lol

Home from school I was a lock out kid i had to sit it out in the wooden shed at the side of the house bloody cold most of the time.

Both parents working so wasn't allowed in the house alone I might damage something.

After I got married & left Mom & Dad burnt the place down anyway.

• Upvote 1

Melton, thanks for the link and the pics of Hill Farm, and yes, Michael, that's our bungalow next to the farmhouse. We had the back extended and you can see that. We had a gate put in the fence between the 2 properties so we could visit them easier instead of going round on the road, with no pavements. The name Jack Starbuck rings a bell, don't remember Ron's wife Ada though, only him. I think he lived Harby way. Or maybe the other side of Barnstone, not Langar though. When we moved into the bungalow we were the only folks for a while on that street, didn't really know our house number, so named the house instead. We toyed with the idea of 'Linger Longer, Langar' LOL.

• Upvote 1