Did anyone else get the days at junior school when somebody (from the education dept?) would come to the school with a film projector and a few reels of film. Then several classes of kids were herded into whichever room had curtains so that it could be turned into a "cinema", and you were forced to sit for an hour or so and watch whatever films they'd brought with them.

There was never much variety. it was always Jacques Cousteau messing around underwater; Vivian Fuchs (a name to get everyone sniggering) exploring the Antarctic; and some anonymous nature film with a few animals or birds.

It was a way of avoiding lessons for the morning, but it was usually so boring that you ended up wishing you were back in the classroom doing normal work.

• Upvote 2

:biggrin: Films for us at school were:

'Oliver Twist'* - shown in the main hall (we had to pay 2 shillings (10p) to see this, quite a sum back then).

'A Tale Of Two Cities'* - shown in a class room.

*Note the emphasis on Classics by Charles Dickens

I remember paying 3d (three old pence) to watch the conquest of Everest at school (Highbank junior) early 60's possibly 62/63

Rog

I do remember seeing a few films, but the only one that stuck in my memory was "The 39 Steps". A movie that is still watchable even though it shows its age, and is black & white!

No films at school, but when we were doing Shakespeare in English, we were taken to see Julious Ceasar at the Cinema and a Midsummer Nights Dream played at the Theatre Royal.

On second thoughts, not the Theatre Royal, but the Playhouse Theatre.

Same for us at Becket, no films but trips to see;

Coriolanus- very boring...........................not one of Bill's best..............

Iolanthe - not one of G & S's best!!

At High Pavement in the last day or two before the Christmas holidays there used to be film shows in the Science Lecture Room as an alternative for those who couldn't be accommodated in the Hall for the house play competition. The only two films that I can remember seeing are 'The Ladykillers' and 'Doctor at Sea'.

Ellis had film studies as part of the English lessons. We would watch a 15 minute short and then write a synopsis on what we had seen.There was a full film shown once a month early evenings. I never went to one but I remember the posters for three....'They were Expendable'....'Over the Rainbow'...and 'King Solomons Mines'

At Glenbrook junior school we used to listen to a radio programme called How things began . It was about the pre-history periods like the Cambrian. We also watched cine films in the MI room mostly travel - I remember one about ship building on the Clyde.

There was one film which stands out in my memory. It was on location with the NSPCC. It stayed with me for a long while.

At Bingham Toothill, the only time we saw a film was he day before the Christmas holiday, we had classes like normal in the morning and after lunch we had a film show, the last film I remember watching, was Carry on Taxi, after the film the school gave us all a tea party before we went home on our Christmas holiday.

At Langar C of E, I can remember listening to the radio, during music and science lessons, what the programs were called, I have no idea, only that they were programs for schools, maybe someone out there might know....

At the Chandos Academy for the sons of gentlefolk, dahn Netho'. We had various films during the term time. All so memorable I can't remember what they were about now. One Christmas they did convert the hall into a cinema and show "The Titfield Thunderbolt" to the whole school. Made a change from the public canings.

• Upvote 1

Cant remember which school it was but do recall being taken into town to watch Lawrence Olivier's "henry V" which had loads of boring bits but then lots of killing aftewards. I seem to think that we also went into town to see "richard 3rd" ( dick Sh*T as he was known) by the same actor.

No I cant remember any films at Trent Bridge neither Michael, they had a 23 inch TV we used to watch school programs on, always remember the countdown clock on ITV or BBC schools. Mr Chambers sometimes let us see 'Bill & Ben' think he wished he hadn't though as we went 'phlob-a-lob' for the next few days. :)

I've no recollection of watching films at school but I do remember sitting on a desk at the front of a classroom, swinging my legs and watching some of the Rome Olympics in 1960 at lunchtime, not during lessons. I would have been 10.

Don't know if it was at school or college but remember seeing a film about the building of the big suspension bridge, either the Fourth road bridge or the Humber one.

We saw it a couple of times from memory, maybe when a teacher was off sick or whatever, still very interesting for me anyway.

Only saw on a doco on tv the other day, that it is now becoming badly corroded in the main support wires and they were unsure of how long it had left before something major was required to repair or replace.

I love watching these amazing feights of engineering, the big French bridge is another that comes to mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

At Portland Junior School there was a small room up some stairs by the hall stage I think.  They took the class up there and showed a film strip slide show of the Sorcerer's Apprentice and it had recorded music to go with it. That was the closest we ever got to a film!  At BGS there was an after school film club for a time.  I remember seeing The Vikings. Brilliant.

On 11/11/2013 at 1:27 AM, Michael Booth said:

I used to love watching Jacques Cousteau (#1) on the TV many years ago. I can't recall ever having any films at Trent Bridge though.

In my last year at Trent Bridge Juniors '64/65 there was a film club after school. We had to pay thruppence or a tanner to go in, all squeezing into one of the corner class-rooms. Some good stuff, I remember seeing a few war films including Bridge Over the River Kwai, The Pink Panther, another comedy called Sands of the Desert with Charlie Drake and She with Ursula Andress. What was really surprising was that She was still on at the pictures.

I was also at HPGS and remember that we were shown a film about road traffic accidents which was extremely graphic. Body bits all over the place, and to top it off on another day we were hoarded around the abattoir to watch animals being slaughtered.