At The Manning we didn't have such luxuries but we did have a biology teacher, Dr Smarridge, who brought in specimen jars containing pickled lungs removed from smokers who had died of lung cancer! Not nice. She also brought in a couple of pickled hobnail livers and warned us of the dire consequences of imbibing alcohol.  Didn't put me off. Now, where's that corkscrew?  :blink:

• 1 year later...

I went to St. Bernadette’s, Sneinton, between 1960 and 1965 and don’t recall any movies being shown. In June1963 our form went to see Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw at the old Nottingham Playhouse on Goldsmith Street. In fact it was the last play to be shown there before the new Playhouse opened on Wellington Circus later that year. In 1965 we went to the new Playhouse but I can’t remember the production but the then relatively unknown Judi Dench was a member of the company. The Artistic Director was John Neville. In 1967 some friends and I were walking past the Playhouse when we saw Judi Dench and Neville strolling along holding hands. Whether it was anything serious or just par for the course in the lovey-dovey world of theatre who knows.

On a similar theme of school and theatre, in 1964 St. Bernadette’s made a film about the school’s activities. One of the segments was an excerpt from the Merchant of Venice in which I appeared as Bassanio. We saw the film once it was completed and then despite efforts to find it again it seems to have vanished. Anyone have any clues.

• Like 1

Trip from Welbeck to the Theatre Royal  to the opera Manon Lescaut. Music teacher was a friend ofthe leading man. Playhouse to see  Ten Little Nixxxrs. Deering King Solomens Mines. Part of RSA exam. On a trip to London The Mouse Trap. 

25 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I went to St. Bernadette’s, Sneinton, between 1960 and 1965 and don’t recall any movies being shown. The Artistic Director was John Neville. In 1967 some friends and I were walking past the Playhouse when we saw Judi Dench and Neville strolling along holding hands.

There was great excitement in the 60s when John Neville and his family moved into our neighbourhood. They had a fairly large house on Sandfield Road in Arnold.  Every time I drive past the house I think about him. He was quite the heart-throb in his younger days, sounds like Judi Dench thought so too :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

. He was quite the heart-throb in his younger days, sounds like Judi Dench thought so too :biggrin:

She never mentioned him to me Lizzie.............

• Like 1