Hello There!! how ya doing? pleased to meet ya...

Hey there. pleased to hopefully make some new friends here! - i am researching my family history, as are many others here! - i see i am in good company!

I am interested in any information pics or any other intereting 'stuff'' about:

The Craig Family, Previously of Hill Top Farm, Ash Lane, Bunny Hill, East Leake. Namely My Grandparents, Mr Ernest Wharton Craig & Mrs Daisy Jane Craig (nee: Rumph).

and any of the offspring related. anything you know or may be able tp direct me too would be most welcome.

I am Very interested in My Grandma (as above) Daisy Jane Craig (nee: Rumph), originally from Daybrook,l she had a sister called Marie. I know Daisy worked at Daybrook Laundry for a period, and was schooled in Daybrook, im sure the whole family were well intergrated in this community and someone im sure has some knowledge of them. possibly even some details of where i could obtain any historical employee pictures of the daybrook laundry workers?

I also know that My grandma Daisy's father was called JACK RUMPH? anything would be so welcome, as i have found this particular area of my family tree difficult.

I know you members of this site are wonderful researchers, i have glancerd thru the various fourums. any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ms. Evie L Craig

evielcraig@gmail.com

Evie, if you can get hold of a copy of "Memories of Nottingham" first published by True North Books in 1998, there is a section in there dealing with Daybrook Laundry with a few photos of employees from late Victorian to 1970's.

There are a couple of publications in this series, you need the first volume which has a 1950's photo of Goose Gate on the cover.

• Upvote 3

Welcome Evie ,

I believe your Jack Rumph was actually John Charles Rumph born in 1889 , often known as J.C. Rumph who was a Labour Party member in Arnold and Daybrook and he was also an elected director of the Nottm Co op . In the 30s and 40s .

I had just written a bit of his family history when my pesky tablet decided to delete it all ! Pushed for time to repeat but will have a go again later when on my laptop but I believe there is a Lincolnshire connection .

• Upvote 3

Daisy's mothers maiden name was Barrett. An Ethel M Barratt married a John C Rumph in 1915. There may have been other children although birth certs would be required to be sure. Births of children with surname Rumph mothers maiden name Barratt are

Daisy J, born 1916, Marie, b 1917, Mary, b 1919, Iris, b 1921, Max B, born 1924.

There's a record for a John Charles RUMPH who was in the RAF in the WW1 period at the National Archives - might be him.

• Upvote 3

Further to Anns info on John Charles Rumph who was born in Nottm in 1889 .

As Ann says, without proof from birth certs we can only guess but I believe that he may have been the illegitimate son of a Betsy Rumph .

John Rumph seems to have skilfully avoided the relevant later Census' but I can see a John Rumph aged 2 , born Nottm on the 1891 Census.

He is living with his uncle at 8 Beaconsfield St , Beeston . His uncle , called William Rumph was born in Sutton Bridge , Lincs.

Searching for other Rumphs born in Sutton Bridge , found a Betsy Rumph , working as a servant aged 22 also in Nottm . Seems too much of a coincidence for Betsy and William not to be related .

So either Betsy was pregnant and came to Nottm to have the baby at her brothers , or she got pregnant whilst in service and her brother and his wife looked after John .

As it happens , Betsy Rumph later married a William Hallam in 1895 , six years after Johns birth in 1889.

Can't see them on the 1901 census but Betsy Hallam (born Sutton Bridge) is a widow in the 1911 census and living at Church Drive, Daybrook , the same area as John Charles Rumph lived in , throughout the 1930s and 40s .

All conjecture and without the certs impossible to prove but seems plausible .

There is a death for a John Rumph in 1953 in Notts.

• Upvote 1

David

I think this is John C Rumph on 1901 census , which seems to suggest that you are right about his mother being Betsy

: John C Hallan Age: 13 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888 Relation: Nephew Gender: Male Where born: Nottinghamshire, England Civil Parish: Arnold Ecclesiastical parish: Daybrook County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:
bracket.png
Registration District: Basford Sub-registration District: Arnold ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household Schedule Number: 117 Piece: 3158 Folio: 42 Page Number: 19 Household Members: Name Age Wm Jas Hallan 36 Bessie Hallan 34 John C Hallan 13 Eliza Rumph 20
  • Upvote 1

Evie

In the 1970's i worked at Halfway Garage, at Bunny. It was owned by a Max Rumph, and the DOB of 1924 mentioned above would seem about right. I dont recall there being a Mrs Rumph at the time, but he had a daughter who would be in her mid 50's now.

Stocky little bloke, he used to spend a lot of time in the Rancliffe Arms opposite. Used to drive round in a Rolls Royce.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ann ,

So that explains why I couldn't find him on the 1901 Census....... he had been given the surname of Hallam .

Strange that he was described as a "nephew" when he was more than likely a step-son to William James Hallam (I'm assuming William Hallam wasn't the real father ).

When I searched the other day , trying to prove a link , I searched the earlier Census' for Betsie Rumph and brother William Rumph in Sutton Bridge , Lincs but was unable to find either (now can add another sister Eliza ! ).

EDIT: Scrap the last sentence . Have found the two sisters on the 1881 living at "Sutton St Nicholas , also known as Lutton Bourne" . They have been wrongly transcribed as Plumb instead of Rumph !

PLUMB, James Head Married M age 48 born 1833 Farm Labourer

Bassingham, Norfolk
PLUMB, Ann Wife Married F 43 1838
Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire
PLUMB, Betsey Daughter Single F 13 1868
Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire
PLUMB, Emma Daughter Single F 10 1871 Scholar
Lutton Marsh, Lincolnshire
PLUMB, John Son Single M 4 1877
Lutton, Lincolnshire
PLUMB, Eliza Daughter Single F 0 1881
Lutton, Lincolnshire
  • Upvote 1

You're right, David, unless John C was the son of a sister of Betsy, or. as was often the case they used inaccurate wording for distant relatives!

That's interesting about Max and the garage, Evie. I looked Max up the other day - didn't keep the details but he died quite recently (2010?)

• Upvote 1

Hi there, I am a new member, born at Bulwell Hall Estate a long lifetime ago.Did a lot of fishing in the river Leen, very good too. Danced at the Embassy, pie, peas and chips at Sandersons followed by a pint in the Horseshoes. I could go on. Maybe later.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I Most Humbly beg for the forgiveness of all whom have been so amazingly awesome!!! and more helpful than a person could have imagined, i have had some laptop issues of late (my kids smashed my screen) and have had to wait for repair! - i did however look here first out of interest in the vain hope that someone may have possibly known a little of something of my rellies, i feel like it is christmas already! - thanks so very much, i have used so many similar type of sites, and this one, is my miles and MILES the most helpful, you must be lucky enough to have the few members of the research community who love to share the wealth of info! once again, apologies for not being able to respond any sooner, and thanks again for all being great! - Evie (christmas came early 4 me) Craig ! XXX

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thankyou SOOOOO, much for all of your hard work. i am very impressed with the amount of detail included, what you lot ere, av found for me is more than i could have wished for, so thanks again, what an amazing bunch you are, i noticed that there are links for i imagine the image of the original documents included with one of the reply's, which take me to the ancestry page, i do not have an account with them, so it is most frustrating to get sooo close to actually seeing something awesome, just to be presented with their ££££££howmuch££££ page, if anyone would be so kind as perhaps an ancestry member tpo maybe copy the documents that are referred to above, i would be most grateful.

May i also say, that i am truly indebted to all whom have helped me here or even just with those who have wished me well with my research, i am not being ungrateful by not coming here often, i have four kids and very limited access to my own laptop at times, and at every given opportunity i do come straight to this site to have an update, and a great afternoon/evenings read of all the forums, this really is the most interesting site about notts and family history i have happened across during my web travels to date. So thanks again, and i really DO appreciate all of your time and effort. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Hello again! i have been blessed with a new laptop... eventually.. so hopefully i will be reconnecting with my addiction of researching my family history. just wanted to say that this is the very best and most friendly helpful site i have used over the years whilst researching, and wanted to say thankyou to all who have contributed and your amazing work is NOT unappreciated.. :Friends:

• Upvote 1