I prefer the 5HP rototiller, less hard work....

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a useful and simple to use tool. I have never used one but it is certainly impressive.

I once saw an african using a miniature version of this to create wooden animals for sale. The way and manner in which he was using it was quite startling. He simply sat on the side of a road and chipped away at a piece of wood. I have always admired people who can look at a chunk of wood or stone, piece of paper or even a lump of clay, and see in there an object that becomes something of beauty.

I don't know the answer to this but...is there any difference between an azada and an adze?

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Since my 'Big Op'' in 2018 ive not been as fit as i was once was...so have been paying a Gardener to 'Mow' my lawns.........the big one is roughly the size of a football Penalty box'' perhaps even slightly larger.....

Have felt for some time he wasn't doing a very good job...never cut deep enough and was very untidy.....plus he wasn't exactly the nicest chap i know..........

So when he decided to ''UP'' his price...i told him ''Thanks but no thanks'' and bought a nice new large ''Lawn Mower''..last week...........Its been good for my 'Fitness' and my Lawns look much nicer.............plus i'm saving a good bit of money.........Starting to look like a ''Cricket Square'' instead of a 'Penalty Area''

Might start teaching my Grandkids'' the rudiments of 'Keeping a straight Bat'' and 'Spin Bowling''.....:)

• Like 4

I’ve just finished cutting half an acre in our orchard. I went into the long grass and the tractor abruptly stopped. I’ve now got it jacked up and pulled out 8 feet of rope from around one of the blades. No idea where that came from. Whilst it’s up in the air it gives my the chance to sharpen the blades which look very ragged. Sadly I get no exercise from riding around on it other than a bumpy ride.

Phil., if you want exercise when mowing, you could always push it. Or better still, get in harness and tow it, with Mrs.Phil steering it. Just a thought thah knows.

I cut an acre and a half. I doubt if I could pull a mower that far and it's pretty heavy with a 25 hp motor. I've just about creased myself clambering underneath to get the blades off for sharpening. Fortunately it's a zero turn mulching mower so I don't have to keep emptying the grass box and I can cut the lot in an hour at speed! Last year I bought a jacking device that tips it to an angle so I can get underneath. Being less supple than I was it's a strain to get up and down. Good workout though. Having a lie down now before I start again on the next phase.

Well done Monseiur ! And may I say, "More power to your elbow". I hope you have fair weather to allow you to continue your work of pleasure and joy. Cheers.

20 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

His work, or him ? :)

Both..Cliff ton...........never saw him in a 'Collar and Tie''......tut........

I don't think folks in my youth, had many changes of clothes. I know my dad didn't,  and if it was warmer, he left off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. Same thing when we went in holiday. Looking at the photos you see of parents and kids walking along the seafront, mum may have a short sleeved dress on, but dad was still in his suit.

Back in them there far odd days people had little to their name but their pride and reputation. The opinions of friends and neighbours was not to be ignored. Ladies wouldn't be seen dead going out in curlers or a pinafore. Men had few clothes, some of which were considered 'Sunday Best', and if they went out it was best bib n tucker and shiny boots - or else!! People, mainly women. were judged on how well the family were turned out, that, and the state of the front doorstep... Men walking on the front may have been sweating cobs, but at least his tie was straight.

"Whatever must the neighbours think",  was often a serious question.