Irons TV's etc running off light socket adaptors

^^^^^^^^You don't how true that is Rog, you are not even supposed to put up an outside light now. If you remember a few years back they changed the colour of the cores in cable, the new rules were bought in then, the new colours of course tell the authorities that that cable was installed after the cut off date.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I lived down Medders lots of houses didn't have many mains sockets (we had one in our living room, non in front room), so light socket adaptors were used to run TV's, irons, hoovers, radios, elec

A house I lived in at mapperley was the same.....came as a shock when turning the light on in the kitchen at night, the twintub burst into action as it had been left plugged in.

Down Medders we ad 1 socket and it wa round pin, we were lucky.

The prescient among us stocked up on red/black/green cable when it was being sold off as the new regs came in.

Which meant that provided you knew what you were doing, and did it properly and safely, you would not fall foul of the "man with the clipboard"

If I remember right Rob it was something to do with the package the vendor had to put together if they sold the property, certs issued by a qualified electrician for new works had to be included along with gas compliance certs. Don't if that is still operating now, it all seemed to go quite.

One of the problems we see now is the insurance companies. Faced with a big claim they will start digging and if they find DIY was the problem your likely to find out your not insured.

• 1 year later...

Our bedside lamp in America had an electrical outlet (socket) built into it, it also had 2 USB sockets, I've never seen this anywhere else in the world..... I put a photo of an American electric outlet (socket) on my facebook page as I thought it looked like a face & I called it a 'socket'  John (Ayupmiducks) said "Steve, when in Rome, it's called an outlet!" I said "sorry" & promised to use the correct American words & spellings while I was there.... John gave some good advice to my wife when she was bitten on her foot by ants which was "don't wear open sandals when walking on grass!" I was blamed as I said "lets go & look at that lake on Lakehurst drive!" We stood there on the grass looking but it had dried up, she then let out an ear piercing scream, lucky we had some steroid cream...

2 hours ago, colly0410 said:

Our bedside lamp in America had an electrical outlet (socket) built into it, it also had 2 USB sockets, I've never seen this anywhere else in the world

Sold them for years at Screw Fix & Wilco about a tenner.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-2-gang-sp-13a-switched-socket-3-1a-2-outlet-usb-charger-white/4087P?tc=GB1&ds_kid=92700019938272150&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1248154&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJbqgb2A4wIVSJnVCh2vgQQrEAQYASABEgKRJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

We had very few plug sockets & even less plugs when we lived in Brixton Road, nothing came with a plug on?  My Dad was always borrowing a plug off something, sometimes not even bothering, using matches to wedge the bare wires into the socket, I remember my Dad wired a light up in the coal house & every time you switched it on & off you got an electric shock, but we still did it :crazy:

• Like 1