Does anyone have any idea when the Cinema closed on Haydn Road? My son who is a musician, has recently discovered this fact & apparently only a small part of the building[an archway i think?] is left & it just about gives the impression that is was used as the above.It is presently being used as a recording studio.

Not sure Mick,I am just using the info I was given I will check next time we speak,I thought you might have some pics seeing as you are the researcher from hell!

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Still havent asked my son the location & I spoke to him in Nottm last night flyswat if i had a brain I would be dangerous :(

:tease: I wouldn't worry Caz, with my little experiance of women i have found them all the same...... :tease:

• 4 weeks later...
Caz Posted: Feb 15 2006, 01:00 PM 

Does anyone have any idea when the Cinema closed on Haydn Road? My son who is a musician, has recently discovered this fact & apparently only a small part of the building[an archway i think?] is left & it just about gives the impression that is was used as the above.It is presently being used as a recording studio. 

abouttime It's an owd un but once i get me teef into sumut i never let gow....must be the animal instinct you know.... :tease:

:yahoo: Here we go again time on my hands, beats sitting here all day reading the tripe that some people, not mentioning anyone in particular, but they know who they are, BiP wooooops that's me silly.....anyway....

:tease: Came across this thread by chance, bored you see, so i thought i would investigate what Caz was saying about the closure of the cinema on hydn road.

went from one end to tuther there wasn't an arch to be found, not knowing this part of nottingham very well nor the whereabouts of the said cinema i was working blind so to speak.

i think it was mick who mentioned the post office so i parked up just up Burnham street and walked back to the Post Office, nothing could be found of arch or said cinema apart from one old building which over many years looks to have had extension to it either side of it [ seee below at pic ]

so what do you reakon ? is the building in the middle of the other extensions the said cinema or am i completely off the mark here..

no one has said which side of Hydn Rd the cinema was, that might have helped me...

post-51-1143728151_thumb.jpg

Mmmmm just don't know Bip,it certainly looks like it could be, as I was working on scant info anyway it was always going to be hard to find. When I get to talk to my superstar son [who is doing a gig in Newcastle at the Carling stadium this weekend by the way!!] I will ask him for the address of the above cinema? Thanks anyway Den,you have the nose of a Beagle. !rotfl!

BTW did it have any signage on outside of the building at all?

:Kiss: No signage Caz...here's another pic what do ya reakon? looks as if it could well be it..........

I'm glad you said "the nose of a beagle....!

post-51-1143808113_thumb.jpg

Where in relation to this photo is the Post Office?

:Kiss: No signage Caz...here's another pic what do ya reakon? looks as if it could well be it..........

I'm glad you said  "the nose of a beagle....!

post-51-1143808113.jpg

At the end of the new building, and across the next road on the right, on that corner stands the house where I lived in 75, my old inlaws house, just before I got Married.

• 3 weeks later...
I used to live on Haydn Road Caz,

Where is the arch?

Apparently it was next to the school on Haydn Rd.I will just check Bip's photos & see if it's on there.

Nope it's not.

I think the school is/was on the left hand side of the road coming up from the bottom not the sherwood end ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Another old thread.

But if you go down Haydn rd from Mansfield Rd past the school, it 's on the 1st corner after the school on the right.

Here's a pic of it when it was a cinema, apparantly called The Kinema Picture theatre:

DCHQ504785.jpg

they really ruined the building by putting on that horrid frontage.

The front part of the building, the really modern bit, became Stumps - they were like Meridian further down the road and manufactured clothing - used to pass it every day on my way to Haydn Road School. From the photograph it looks like the older part may be separate premises - there is one entrance on Haydn Rd and one on Cameron Street.

• 1 year later...

The 'Kinema' closed before 1948 (which was the date I started at Haydn Rd School).

I remember it as 'Richard Stump Ltd' women's clothing manufacture - dresses, skirts etc - right through the 1950's and 1960's. The double door works entrance was on Cameron Street which must have been the old cinema exit. The original cinema entrance was on the corner of Haydn Rd and Cameron St. and was curved with a decorative 'art nouveau' parapet. The building had a smooth cement rendered surface painted cream. At dinner times during the summer the factory doors would be wide open and we schoolkids could hear the clatter of machines and hear the workers singing along to amplified radio/records.

I know it was built in 1913 and closed during the second world war - I haven't got an actual date. Funny thing I was in there on Sunday and amazed to see the arched roof was still there.

Hi Den,

The top floor is a recording studio, some of the other space is taken by an architects company - not sure about the rest of the building. The horrible sixties bit that was Stumps is now a kitchen design company, the outside of that looks like it could do with a lick of paint.

I'm not sure if the cinema had a balcony, I'm assuming it did because the space to the ceiling was substantial; no idea if/when a first floor was added.

On Picture the Past search for image DCHQ504785 - it states the cinema closed on Wednesday March 12th. 1941.

Den, thanks for the nod on the picture, didn't know about that - managed to get a copy this morning. I seem to be on a good run at the moment, got 3 in Left Lion as well.