Wollaton Park PoW camp

This subject has been mentioned before on Nottstalgia, but it's buried somewhere in other threads and is almost impossible to find.

For a location reference; at the top centre is the junction of Wollaton Road & Russell Drive (what is now Wheelhouse pub).

KKYmAm8.jpg

I vaguely remember huts at the Wollaton Road end. I think that in the 50s and maybe 60s they were used for changing rooms for school sports.

My mum used to talk about the POWs at Wollaton Park. She used to tell me that some of the German officers were really arrogant

You're right bilbraborn, when I was at Forest Fields Grammar School in the late 50's, early 60's we used to get changed there in readiness for cross country running. I used to hate it, but as long as I beat the fat kids I was satisfied.

I much preferred it when we played rugby at Mill Street Playing Fields just off Bagnall Lane. Detested rugby too, but as long as I finished up filthy dirty and muddy the teacher assumed I'd had a good game.

At least you could watch the trains on the Ex Great Northern line on the viaduct . Happy days!

• Upvote 2

Unlike you I loved Cross country running. It beat being under the glare of the games teacher. In winter we used to divert to my mates house on Melbury Rd (Bilborough) for a cuppa coffee. In summer we used to run as far as the sandhills near Strelley Village and sunbath. Would've been nice if we could have watched some trains though.

I remember going to watch the school rugby team playing away at Kings School in Grantham. Right next to the ECML it was.

as well as german pow there were a lot of italian pow too who once italy became an ally of britain were allowed certain freedom within the city untill they were able to be sent back home to italy some never returned but stayed and married local girls and set up homes in nottingham, bakersfield being one area prisoners from the camps in colwick woods and woolaton park went to live after the war. many went back leaving local girls and women with there ofspring i know several people know in there late sixties who had italian pows as farthers some have kept in touch others who did not.

When I was Lab Technician at St. Bernadette's RC school on Sneinton Dale in 1967-9, I must have come into contact with some of those offspring.

Here's a thought. Those POWs on Wollaton Park must have been neighbours to the American 82nd Airborne who camped on Wollaton Park in preparation for D Day.

Can anyone remember a big military tattoo type thing on Wollaton park, would have been early 50's ? I remember the noise and searchlights, and my brother got into trouble for bringing home live blank ammunition they had "found" on the park.

We lived at Lenton Abbey estate at the time but left there when I was 5 in '53.

Yes banjo, I was there. I don't know what the occasion was , perhaps celebrating the coronation .

I would be about eight at the time. Somewhere I have a photo of myself dressed as a pageboy for the event. I had white tights, a black velvet tunic with gold braid as a belt, and a black velvet hat with a large white feather. I must have looked a right twat.

It's things like that which mentally scar kids for life! I never forgave my mother for that.

Cliff Ton

I think this is the original thread you are referring to , from 2008 :

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4769

There is no mention in the E.P. of the camp in the news archive that I can see . Only mention is , in a Gloucester newspaper that says building of a camp will be started in Wollaton Park in January 1945 so quite late on the war .

10850441154_6a96a06d89_z.jpg

Still prisoners there in April 1946 , this from the Gloucester Citizen :

10850379904_06f5c4bb51_c.jpg

There is also mention of a traffic accident in 1950 involving an army lorry from "Wollaton Park camp" so must have still been in use then .

Dunkirkduck, There was loads in the Nottingham Post about 82nd Airborne on Wollaton Park. There have been re-unions with the old boys coming back on anniversary days. I copied every item about them and still have them filed away. I believe there may have been a special officers camp at Player's recreation ground on Aspley Lane.

• 2 years later...

My Mum often told me of seeing German Pow's walking into town on a Sunday from Wollaton Park...they were not allowed to use the buses (?)

Where Sisson and Parkers used to be my Mum witnessed a very upset woman..belting a German with her bag!!..A pink circle on the back of his coat..some houses in the Lenton area invited these men in for a tea on Sunday evenings.

My Mum also went to see the American troops..that were stationed at Wolly Park..during the 40's they threw Juicy Fruit and a huge tin of jam over the fence..she never ate jam again...must have lived on it!

I remember the Tatto on Wollaton Park. It was for the Coronation. I lined up with my Mum and saw QE2 and Phillip come down Derby Road in the Royal Roller and drive through a gate way that was made in the wall opposite the University playing fields so they could drive in. ( About 300 meters from Beeston Lane End, Gatehouse) I think you can still see the repaired brickwork. It's where the AA and RAC repair motorcycle and sidecars used to park and salute members who displayed their badges... ( Remember them?) .  After the Tattoo we Abbey Kids spent hours searching for and collecting the discarded brass bullet and shell casings that hadn't been picked up.  I remember the ferns being burned from the hole in the wall (Gate way) on Derby Road to make a path to Lime tree grove for the Queen to drive along. I think she must have officially opened  the Tatto. 

• 2 months later...

My uncle who was on leave from  RAF reconnaissance (shot down over France) befriended two POWs and they eventually went out on outings with all the family who lived on Western Boulevard and Ringwood Crescent. Once the war was over, they were sent out to work.  The man called Lewis worked at Wilwell Farm on Ruddington Lane near the old brickyard. He eventually became a farm manager in Shropshire I think. The other man (I don't know his name) went back to Germany. There is a photograph of them both on a day out with my grandmother, great aunts and uncle, mother and sisters (before I was born). It would be about 1947.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great to see this photo. My grandfather was a POW at this camp. He was on a minesweeper in the North Sea that was destroyed, then passed out in the sea and when he awoke he'd been captured by the British. He stayed on after the war as he'd met my gran who was from Nottingham. She used to take the POWs food packages in Wollaton Park after the war was over before they were repatriated. 

• Upvote 1

Welcome Markoos. I never realised that the 508 Cafe existed. I must pay a visit soon.

Edited. Just seen that it's near the children's play area. Mmm, maybe I'll leave it. 

• Like 2