Wollaton Park PoW camp

Reading this topic for the first time. So many memories of relatives during the war and so many soldiers. I have a different story. My father was in the home guards as were most of the men where he lived. Men and women were needed for the Iron works, Steel works and the shipyard . So really I have no relatives who died in battle or POW.  Both my parents worked in the shipyard in different depts. There was a lot of bomb damage obviously in that area but they all came through it. Over at Walney Island you could still see the lookout posts on the beaches. 

• 2 years later...

I am posting here as although i'm pretty sure i have previously seen a thread relating to american airmen at wollaton park i now can't find it. On a trip to the park on friday with the grandkids i noticed there is a memorial there now, i dont know how long its been there so if the photo's are already on the site  maybe you could delete mine cliff ton or move them to the correct place if you know where that thread is, thankyou.

H.A., you might interested to know, my late eldest brother dragged me up to Canning Circus to watch prisoners of war being marched up Ilkeston Road, on their way to Midland Station, from Wollaton Park. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Antiques roadshow now on BBC1 is from Wollaton Hall.

Ah, I’ll have to find it on catch-up as we’ve been out all day.  I applied to go on it with some Albert Ball memorabilia that has been in the family since before he was killed, items that nobody else has seen. My Granny and her parents and 2 sisters lived close to the Balls in Lenton and knew Albert really well.  When I contacted the Antiques Roadshow they wanted photos and descriptions of the items, I did send what they asked for but in fact I was a few days late applying and was presumably put on a waiting list but I never heard a word from them, so the treasured photos and letters from the Front will remain tucked away in our house.  

• Upvote 1

The same items are still there in the Castle Ian.  Every time I’ve gone in the building over the years I’ve stood for several minutes at that display cabinet.  Such a handsome brave young man, and because my Granny told us so much about him it feels like he was family!  As this is a thread about Wollaton Park, I’d also comment that he apparently flew from France one time and landed on the Park, so Granny said!