Saturday club, Albert Hall, 1960s and 70s

Ay up my owds!

Im wondering if there's anyone here who remembers The Saturday Club, run by Miss M Beazley, at the Albert Hall on Derby rd? It was a kind of creche/club for under 10's (I think), mainly for disabled and underprivileged kids.

I went during the late 60s (eligible under both requesits!). We used to play board games, have coffee, tea or squash and a biscuit, then finished by watching cartoons on a big projector screen. Every Xmas we would have a slap-up dinner on long trestle tables. There may even be photos in the Evening Post archives somewhere of me with a Crimbo hat on!

The club finally closed its doors the late 70s, and in 1985, nearing the end of her life, I'm guessing, Miss Beazley sought all her old 'children' out - including myself - and presented us each with a Peter Rabbit mug, and plate, the very same ones we used to drink from. I still have mine.

I'd love to find out if it was a one man operation - Miss Beazley (marinanne I think her name was) seemed to be the last of the Victorian spinster philanthopists -or if it was part of a larger organisation.

Any help very much appreciated, I'd like to write a short story based on some of my experiences but would like to flesh out some more details if I can.

Miss Beazley was a lovely old dear, I have fond memories of her...

• Upvote 4

Hi Dunkirkduck,

Unfortunately the online news archive for the E. Post only go up to 1950 . Can't see any mention of Miss Beazley or a Saturday Club .

Of course your Miss Beazley could have been born out of the county but there is a birth for a Marion V. Beasley born in Mansfied in 1915 .

thanks David.

I think it was run by, or has something to do with, The Guild of the Disabled or some such title. originally it came under the name of the Guild of The Poor Wee Things (what a title!) I am come back home (Notttm will always be known as home for me) in January. Where might I view the later Evening Post archives?

The Saturday Club (as I knew it was called) closed when teh Albert Hall became too run down, and was replaced by a similar 'club' run only in the summer holidays by County Hall, and held every day in a guide hut in West Bridgford, I used to love that too.

There are some stories mentioning the Cripples Guild meeting at the Albert Hall but they are way back in tbe 1920s.

I have just done a quick search for Evening Post archives and there is this answer from 2 years ago

"Nottingham Central Library on Angel Row in Nottingham hold copies of the Evening Post on microfilm in their local studies section. http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1779"

Might be worth giving them a ring before you travel to check viewing days .

In those days the Albert Hall was run by the Methodist Church. It was one of the City centre missions run by the church. I would think that was the backing for the Saturday Club.

• 2 years later...

That name is vaguely familiar to Mrs Catfan. Although not attending that club she did go there to the church, youth club & girl guides. As a teenager she taught young kids at the Sunday school.

10 hours ago, dunkirkduck said:

I know it has been a long while Cliff but your link was fantastic! There's even a photo of me in Chapter 10. Thank you!

10 hours ago, carni said:

#7, I missed that Link in 2013 Cliff Ton. I shall enjoy browsing through that lot Miduck. Shunt tek me too long? 

Amazing  :rolleyes:   3 years ago, so I don't really remember posting that link..  The reason I found it in the first place was because it had a connection with family history research I was doing at the time. It's basically the history of the Methodist Church in Nottingham, and the Albert Hall section just happened to be there.