• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing could beat the Co-op Big Store at the top of Parliament Street: for shopping whether it be groceries, clothes, material, furniture, carpeting - jewellery at one time for a meal or just a c

My dad worked at the co-op until he was old enough to be called up. I laughed at one of the tales he told me. Apparently a very posh lady came in and asked if she could purchase a garden seat with a c

I've never tasted snuff. LOL. But you are right. The Ultra left/communist/Marxist movement try to get into everything. Just about everything of influence in this country has someone from the Left in

Stew had left just before I joined them Mick.

Dave Downing (boss) used to live on Bunbury Street.

The Co-op piccy reminded of when I worked on their mobile shops from Meadow lane. We had a Guy van, like a furniture removal van size - proper problematic when going to distant farms I can tell yer. Hehe.

Cheers

I remember the big mobile shops that parked outside the old Wooden Greengrocery.

Did Electrical maintenance there and the Garage and Pork Factory, late 60s.

Remember having cheese on toast in the canteen also frequented by 'the feccy girls' from the bakery and numerous dustmen from Eastcrofts.

• 4 months later...

I first worked as a Sat'day lad at Parliament Street for a little while, before moving to Ascot Road where the non-food warehouse was. (1978-1983 ish) It did have a genuine cameraderie about it.

I recall the old Bedford vans which had to be primed with easy-start on a cold morning to get them going at all. A strange place but I loved it.

• 1 month later...

Yes I remember that co op on Lenton Blvd, you can tell their former buildings a mile off, somewhere up near the roof there should be a date slab? and wasn't their (or The CWS) HQ on corner of the blvd and Derby Rd? or at least the later office block built next door. Another former co-op is on Radford Rd near Valley Rd, and who recalls "wno's" co-op the now gone one on David Lane originally was? The Melbourne Rd one has been empty years

Yes I remember that co op on Lenton Blvd, you can tell their former buildings a mile off, somewhere up near the roof there should be a date slab? and wasn't their (or The CWS) HQ on corner of the blvd and Derby Rd? or at least the later office block built next door.

Date bricks are actually on Church Street round the corner https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.94881,-1.174806,3a,37.5y,351.05h,136.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWLHbvU0z1fU_E0jU_V2IcA!2e0?hl=en

Head Office was the old building with the new, sympathetic extension beyond. It's now all student flats.

office-1.jpg

The very one cliff ton,and a nice shot of the lovely Basford flats as well.

Yes that's the shop, and benjamin has the right co-op owners, Cinderhill Co-Op Society, can't recall where it said that to be sure, I think it was some very old painting in black and gold on the glass at top of the windows? The woman looking about to climb the stairs looks remarkably like my late wife, thought it is her soon as I saw it (48 years experience), did live at old basford then and she did shop at "the dairy" at side of footbridge. The Crossing and signal box were originally called Lincoln St Crossing and the road crossed at an acute angle from Vernon Rd/Southey St to line up with that road, In later years the crossing was realigned to connect to David Lane and renamed

The very one cliff ton,and a nice shot of the lovely Basford flats as well.

Yes, a good photo. Also shows part of the Ministry of Social Security building the other side of the church (old and new), and the Horse & Jockey beyond that on the other side of the road.

A typical Co-op shop style with separate departments cast into the stonework. A rare opportunity to preserve an old building of character...so they demolished it.

Somewhere I've seen a photo of the David Lane Co-op taken from David Lane, with the crossing at the top of the photo. Darned if I can find it, it isn't on PTP, I thought it was on here on another thread?

We have a small coop at the bottom of the street, wife goes in most days for something, she got a money off voucher the other day, £5.00 off your next transaction, seemed ok but reading it properly you have to spend £50.00. I doubt if we will be using it.

Cliff Tons photo shows the original set up of the crossing, please don't think I am preaching to the perverted but as you can see the crossing/road points to Lincoln Street, as well as tram line on Vernon Rd Apart from the footbridge and large wall between Vernon Rd and the railway everything has been demolished except the large block on the left which were/are 4 shops with living accom above though originally there may have been 6. The nearest of the 3 story block across the road was a pub The Butchers Arms? pre ww2 one of the 2 story shops nearer the camera was a greengrocers owned/run by a genuine American Indian though where his name Darkie Robinson came from I don't know! post ww2 another of those shops was a bike one, the owner a Mr Martin actually made the frames for his bikes on the premises, I did not know it but around 1960 I had one of his frames, incredibly light, when I took it to be sprayed AC Sports on Haydn Rd recognized it and I got it back c/w "made in old basford" transfers as well as Martins badges on downtubes and headstock

In the aerial photo is "The Tour of Basford" taking place? lol Around the crossings used to flood often esp the block of cottages on Southey Street whose gardens and front doors were below street level, and you can see how high the leen is.

My dad worked at the co-op until he was old enough to be called up. I laughed at one of the tales he told me. Apparently a very posh lady came in and asked if she could purchase a garden seat with a canopy. One of the younger staff said to her ' A can of what?'

• Upvote 2

And the overhead of your pic Cliff Ton..with the back of the Co op :biggrin: 1930s

2ihtqw1.jpg

#69 so many memories in one picture,the shop where we bought penny suckers' the bridge over the leen we used to balance on' the bridge where we choked on train smoke' the trees of Vernon park' the picture house where we went for the 5 penny rush' the shop where we bought dinkys' and of course the cinderhill coop,brilliant poohbear.

• Upvote 1

Yes I remember that co op on Lenton Blvd, you can tell their former buildings a mile off, somewhere up near the roof there should be a date slab? and wasn't their (or The CWS) HQ on corner of the blvd and Derby Rd? or at least the later office block built next door. Another former co-op is on Radford Rd near Valley Rd, and who recalls "wno's" co-op the now gone one on David Lane originally was? The Melbourne Rd one has been empty years

It wasnt so much as a HQ as a data processing centre back in the late 70s. They had huge computers there which probably had less processing power than my smartphone. I still have a plastic briefcase with a Co Op stencil on it which was used to transport till rolls to Lenton.