• 1 year later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing could beat the Co-op Big Store at the top of Parliament Street: for shopping whether it be groceries, clothes, material, furniture, carpeting - jewellery at one time for a meal or just a c

My dad worked at the co-op until he was old enough to be called up. I laughed at one of the tales he told me. Apparently a very posh lady came in and asked if she could purchase a garden seat with a c

I've never tasted snuff. LOL. But you are right. The Ultra left/communist/Marxist movement try to get into everything. Just about everything of influence in this country has someone from the Left in

I know which I prefer!

Me and my pal Mick Camps used to go into the Eddy's shop in the photo, searching through a wall full of shelves containing 78 records. It later moved across the road and changed its name.

#59. The Co-op next to Basford Crossings was No.1 Cinder Hill Branch (note two words, and might have been a hyphen). I assume, therefore, that the branch actually at Cinder Hill was Branch No.2.

Never seen this one before. An old Co-op on Alfreton Road; no surprise to find that today the site is occupied by a Tesco Express.

alfreton%20road_zpsjon4tcan.jpg

At least up until the 1920s, the Eddy's building here was a pub called the "Hope & Anchor".

• Upvote 1

Wonderful photo Cliff Ton! Never seen it before but i'm struggling to place where it is.

The only Tesco Express I can find on Alfreton Road is on the site of the former filling station, facing Bobbers Mill Road. Is there another one?

• 1 year later...

I was in Nottingham and at a loose end, and had my Collins card. 

Collins is basically where the Coop distribution centre was, including the furniture delivery, where I worked when I was not at college. One of my duties was to sweep the floor in the area where the lorries loaded up. Now it is a bit different, but the roller doors are still there, and I recognised a fair bit of the area. 

Flash back memories to Nev Bradley, Wilfie, Stu,Two Cyrils and Mr Mc'Cann who drove the big wagon to Skeggy. 

• Like 1