Images of Nottingham from different periods

Lamberts factory was at the top of the Talbot Street/Derby Road area so the factory chimneys would appear higher in the photo.

I say south London area.

Looks too flat for Nottingham.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did this several years ago in another thread, but I'll give it another go because it's quite a spectacular difference, and it fits in this thread. Arnold Road near the junction with Hucknall Road.

A photo gallery of the same Nottingham areas from different years. I hope it is alright to put this link to my Facebook on here? https://www.facebook.com/gerry.chambers1/media_set?set=a.169636861

I started work in 1963 at North British & Mercantile Insurance who were in offices on Friar Lane above Tobys, the address being Vernon House, 14 Friar Lane, and I have only just realised that most

I don't think it's Battersea - as BulwellBrian mentioned, that had its four chimneys at each corner, which the mystery photo doesn't.

batter.jpeg

At one stage in its life, Wilford Power Station had four chimneys, although I don't think that is the one on the photo because the surrounding area doesn't match.

wilford-2.jpg

could be wilford power station clifton pit was next to it .

street sceene could be bottom ent montpeliar rd

The postcard seller on ebay says its about 1911in the title .

I'm wondering if the photographer is from Nottingham and the seller has put 2 and 2 together and made 6 ?

Cliff Ton, I was thinking of doing the same , if we got no further .

As notty ash said , North Wilford Power station didn't open until Sept 1925 so it can't be that . However just scanned in this image (badly !) taken from Lamberts Tower , Talbot St , in 1900 .

As you see , it says its a view to the N. West and just on the horizon you can see a large factory with 4 chimneys that the caption says is in the Alfreton Rd , Russell St area . It certainly looks a similar shape to the postcard building in the distance....is it any help ?

11176350144_1b3df38e5f_b.jpg

Looking at another shot to the North North West from Lamberts Tower this shows the Church steeple of All Saints Church on Raleigh St ., which again looks like the steeple just to the right of centre on the horizon in the post card pic . Can you plot it with that ?

11176324096_fecd6942af_b.jpg

I think that might add to the confusion rather than solve anything :unsure:

As several people mentioned earlier, the buildings in the foreground of the original photo don't look very Nottingham-ish, and I'd still put money on it not being round here.

Also on the original, it looks to be a fairly flat area with no noticeable gradients, whereas the Arboretum area is fairly hilly.

I think there are more than two chimneys in the original postcard image , its just because its face on , 2 are hidden .

I probably confused the issue by posting the image containing the Arboretum . It was the location of the church I meant to highlight .

What about if the view is from the other side of the large factory that is said to be on Alfreton Rd / Russell Street area . I don't know exactly where the factory is supposed to be but have marked it with a fig .1 . All Saints Church on Raleigh St marked with a fig. 2 .

That could put the postcard street somewhere between Ilkeston Rd and Alfreton Rd marked with a ?

I am not sure of the topography so that could defeat this theory .

11177422584_07961c79c6_b.jpg

NBL

I did wonder about that but Its more than 30 years since I would have been around there , so thats my theory gone !

I would think Lots Road Power Station near Chelsea is a reasonable possibility, having looked at a few more photos.

This one http://rbkclocalstudies.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/lots-road-power-station-1921.jpg shows 4 chimneys, a featureless roof and a bit sticking out on the right, with a hoist or conveyor sloping steeply down to the right of it. On our photo, there is an identical feature. The proportions of the whole building and the chimneys is about right too. If so, then we could be looking across the Thames from the Clapham/Battersea area.

Greenwich power station was very similar in appearance, but I can find few good photos of it.

Certainly the houses look similar in that area but theres been so much rebuilding its difficult to get your bearings !

have tweaked the original image to see if it helps users 11161053575_f2b5d02ee3_b_zpsc6bfa9e4.jpg

Maybe just a shot in the dark but last night I emailed this picture to my dad in Vancouver. Some years ago he worked as a field telivision engineer for Redifusion and one of his areas was West Bridgeford. Could this image have been taken from Loughborough Road or Melton Road?

• Upvote 1