Images of Nottingham from different periods

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did this several years ago in another thread, but I'll give it another go because it's quite a spectacular difference, and it fits in this thread. Arnold Road near the junction with Hucknall Road.

A photo gallery of the same Nottingham areas from different years. I hope it is alright to put this link to my Facebook on here? https://www.facebook.com/gerry.chambers1/media_set?set=a.169636861

I started work in 1963 at North British & Mercantile Insurance who were in offices on Friar Lane above Tobys, the address being Vernon House, 14 Friar Lane, and I have only just realised that most

I started work in 1963 at North British & Mercantile Insurance who were in offices on Friar Lane above Tobys, the address being Vernon House, 14 Friar Lane, and I have only just realised that most probably this was so called because it was built where Dorothy Vernon's house was originally sited before being demolished, and presumably Vernon House built, in the 1920's following the final widening of Friar Lane.

Not an earth shattering realisation, but slightly interesting after so many years!

• Upvote 1

I think the "trackless" buses were introduced in 1927, so the pic could not be 1905. 1930 seems more reasonable.

Re the picture...1905? That early trolley bus doesn't fit somehow.

You're right methinks.

Nottingham Trolleybus system opened on 10 April 1927! An error no doubt, sorry about that. Perhaps it should have been 1929?

Definitely 10th April 1927. Friar Lane is interesting to me as I was a regular visitor to Gee Dees the model shop. (Model trains not female models!!). I was also a regular patron of the Maid Marion café calling for a coffee on the way home from work with a couple of friends. Anyone remember Tobys?

Always felt nervous in Toby's when mum took me there. It was the display shelves with crockery and ornaments that I shuffled round with trepidation . Nice stuff though, shame it's gone.

1930 looks right. That type of trolleybus was not introduced until 1930 (the sloping windscreen is quite distinctly different from the earlier trolleys). The colour scheme it is carrying with white roof and broad white band round the lower deck windows was abandoned by 1935, in favour of the all-green, with three white bands that was so instantly recognisable as NCT (even on black and white photos!) By the way, 1930 was the earliest that there were trolleybuses up Wheeler Gate - the route 10 (which became the 40 in the re-numbering of 1933). Trent Bridge was still trams at this time - the 2 which went to Mapperley Porchester Road via Woodborough Road (became the 35 motorbus, later the 31 shortened to the Old Market Square), and the 3 to Bulwell Market, which became the 43 trolleybus about 1934.

• Upvote 1

Responding to #9&10:

Tobys was a little too expensive for for me to do any shopping there I'm afraid.

I shared the feeling of nervousness with all the crockey, china and delicate ornaments within reach of me, as I often wandered around the store, fascinated by displays, and failing to get up the nerve to ask a gal with Juliet on her name tag for a date.

Ah well,,,

• Upvote 1

Re #3 Pooh, I would hazard a guess as more 1925 than 1905 ?

I think the trolley bus in question ia an "English Electric E11" introduced in 1930 & withdrawn in 1946.

The "oak beamed" building is The Moot Hall distroyed in the Nottingham blitz of May1941.

As the bus looks quite new I suggest the photo was taken 1930/1

• Upvote 1

Tram Rides through Nottingham (1902) BFI ... (6 mins)

This fascinating record of Edwardian Nottingham was filmed from the driver's platform of a tram on a single journey through the city centre between its two main stations. The sequence follows the same route as today's Nottingham Express Transit tramway, taking the viewer along Listergate and Wheelergate into Old Market Square before turning right into Long Row and on into Queen Street.

...............except that it doesn't follow the same route at all. Both go from Station Street to the Old Market Square, but only the short section along the end of the square is common to both routes. After the Old Market Square, they go off on completely different routes again.

• Upvote 1

OK - for those who don't remember (most on this site will!), the tram goes from Station Street right onto Carrington Street, across Canal Street cross roads (no traffic lights of course!) slap bang through the middle of where the Broad Marsh centre now is, bearing half right into Lister Gate, Albert Street, Wheeler Gate, OMS, right (past Griffin and Spaldings) along Long Row Central, left into Queen Street past the old GPO, right onto Upper Parliament Street, and then with a slight discontinuity left into Milton Street.

• Upvote 1

This image was on a certain auction site and says its of Nottingham but doesn't give a road name .

Wilford Road / Carrington St area ?

11161053575_f2b5d02ee3_b.jpg

I know what you mean and that huge building looks a bit like Battersea !

But if it is Nott'm , the building that appears at the top of the road , that I first thought was St Marys , also looks a bit like Lamberts factory on Talbot St . So could this be a street off the Mansfield Rd area ?

Pity can't read the name of the garage in the bottom left hand corner . Have repeated link as its ended up on a new page .

11161053575_f2b5d02ee3_b.jpg