Images of Nottingham from different periods

FCH , no I don't think it can be either of those roads . I lived for a while on Melton Rd and worked on Loughbrough Rd and there were no buildings like that to my memory . As said previously , Wilford Power Station didn't exist at this time .

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did this several years ago in another thread, but I'll give it another go because it's quite a spectacular difference, and it fits in this thread. Arnold Road near the junction with Hucknall Road.

A photo gallery of the same Nottingham areas from different years. I hope it is alright to put this link to my Facebook on here? https://www.facebook.com/gerry.chambers1/media_set?set=a.169636861

I started work in 1963 at North British & Mercantile Insurance who were in offices on Friar Lane above Tobys, the address being Vernon House, 14 Friar Lane, and I have only just realised that most

I think we can fairly safely say it isn't Nottingham, because of the date Wilford PS was built, and the surroundings in the original photo.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Lots Road, Chelsea, and it's interesting to take a look around the King's Road area. This isn't an accurate copy of the angle of the original, but you can get the idea, and with a bit of further manoeuvring I reckon I could get closer.

http://goo.gl/maps/2P5AI

Yes I was going round all those streets on streetview last night . The problem is , the postcard shot looks like it was taken from the top of a building which obviously gives a different vista to street level .

The church like building with the flat tower at the end of the road , I thought could have been the Servite church on Fulham Rd .

A couple of points - I doubt this is a main road, as by 1911 there would likely be trams and lots of other traffic. I would imagine a side road of some kind. Also, if my theory about it being Lots Road is correct, the view may be from south of the river.

"If it is lots road power station, then the street scene could be one of the roads off lavender hill"

Hippo girl one of the Mob??.................... slywink

• Upvote 1

Are we missing the (nearly) obvious ?

One view of Nottingham Street , Marlybone , London . Similar mix of buildings .

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=spencer+road+london&ie=UTF-8&ei=nE6eUv3lNuax0AXPrYCgAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

property-for-sale-nottingham-street-mary

There also used to be a Nottingham Street , Bethnall Green at one time but can't seem to find it now so maybe it got re-developed .

Similar buildings too in that area to the postcard and there would be more more industry in that area .

There was a photographer named 'Lewis of Nottingham" who took a lot of photographs of this nature around London during that time frame as well. Just to confuse things.

Old photographs with his badly faded stamp on the back could well be mistaken for titling the photograph as a Nottingham scene.

It doesn't really answer the question of what the photo shows, but I emailed the seller on eBay to ask if he had any further information.

His answer was "it was my uncle's - I suppose he could be wrong but it just seems unlikely. I don't know anything else about it. Best wishes, Dave"

So it could still be South London.

Oh well , nice try .

If you google "postcards , Wandsworth" a lot of similar images come up as though someone commissioned a series of photographs of the area . One is of All Saints Church, Wandsworth which looks similar to the building top right of the picture .

Whether that fits in with the position of the power station though , I am not sure .

I occasionally post on another message board that has many Londoners so will post the details there later .

This photo shows how Lots Road towered over neighbouring buildings. If my guess and my bearings are correct, our mystery street would be roughly in line with the pair of left-hand chimneys, heading across the river.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw006134

My guess is based on the distinctive overhanging bit on the left hand side of the power station, which seems to appear on the right of the power station in the original photo.

My best bet is Battersea High Street.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=chelsea&ll=51.472409,-0.173432&spn=0.005747,0.013937&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Chelsea,+Greater+London,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.472559,-0.173418&panoid=oVJuWye3gIvalAlppc7HDg&cbp=12,328.1,,0,0

Not much left after the Luftwaffe and local authority set to work, but a couple of tall old buildings on the left of the road in streetview look like the end of the tall block on the left of the original photo.

The way the road curves ties up with the photo too.

I looked on Old-maps.co.uk. If you type in the coordinates 526959 176482 and look at the 1:1,056 map for 1906-1919 you can work out the building the shot was taken from. It was the Southlands Training College for Girls, near the bottom of the screen, looking north along the High Street. The garagge is the recessed building opposite R in Street. The other buildings nearby all correspond very well.

A view from there would definitely show the power station, the other tall building on the south side of the river and the steeple of St Mary's Church. This has to be it, surely?.