Images of Nottingham from different periods

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did this several years ago in another thread, but I'll give it another go because it's quite a spectacular difference, and it fits in this thread. Arnold Road near the junction with Hucknall Road.

A photo gallery of the same Nottingham areas from different years. I hope it is alright to put this link to my Facebook on here? https://www.facebook.com/gerry.chambers1/media_set?set=a.169636861

I started work in 1963 at North British & Mercantile Insurance who were in offices on Friar Lane above Tobys, the address being Vernon House, 14 Friar Lane, and I have only just realised that most

This picture looks promising . From St.Marys church website .

Though the aspect seems just slightly out , compared to the middle church spire in the postcard.

I have found a mention of a garage on Althorpe Grove in the early 1900s . That road seems to have vanished and been replaced by the Althorpe Grove estate .

The sign on the garage on the postcard looks to be an old B.P.union jack sign.

http://www.stmarysbattersea.org.uk/Gallery.html

Just a thought , the mounds above the roof tops could be on the far side of the river...... coal for the power station !

A view of the church spire from the other side of the river

http://rbkclocalstudies.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/st-marys-church-battersea-from-lots-road-jb5-box.jpg

note the tall chimney to the right, which appears above the house rooves to the left of the spire on the original "Nottingham" image

Also this shot, taken from further down the same road as the "Nottingham" shot (nearer the power station)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34794537@N02/5427808500/

The roofline of the power stn looks a bit shorter in this shot, because originally it had an overhanging structure at roof level at each end.

This shot (looking the other way up the High Street) may possibly show the building the photo was taken from at the far end on the left

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34794537@N02/5777723775/in/photostream/

Oh dear , Poohbear , I'll have to take the blame for this thread but the postcard did claim to be of Nottingham !

Back to info for Londonstalgians , from some further info received there is this aerial shot. Everything seems to match up , even the cluster of chimneys to the right of the original . Only slight concern is the angle of the large building marked C .

11218120446_e260654cba_c.jpg

11218325053_7ce30e73ca_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

That really clinches it for me - the only problem is your X on the first photo is too close to the river. If you look at the "Nottingham" shot, the viewpoint is almost in line with the 2 RH chimneys of the power station. That would make the profile of the large building on the right more side-on.

Of all the roads in the area, the northern half of Battersea High Street is the only one on the right alignment. It also curves the right way. As I mentioned in a previous post, 2/3 of the 3-storey buildings in the middle of the "Nottingham" shot are still there if you look on Google Streetview - though little else has not been replaced.

Notty Ash , you are right about the x in the top image but I ran out of photograph !

By the way the large building marked C was the Hovis flour mill and even the single tall chimney in that building seems to match up in both photos . If you google that mill / factory you get even more images .

Hippo girl , hope you enjoy yourself in London , I think it would be really difficult to spot anything at ground level now as there is so much redevelopment but you never know !

Your best bet is to wangle your way into a flat in Meacham Court, a highrise just off the High Street Battersea, close to the Castle pub. You would then get views like this, almost the same viewpoint as the "Nottingham" photo

91853_1977410_IMG_01_0000.jpg

High Street is the road running left to right, with the pub just below us. You can see one of the chimneys of Lots Road Power Stn on the right.

On the far side of the High Street (partly obscured by scaffolding and plastic sheeting) is the remaining 2/3 of the 3 storey houses in the middle in the "Nottingham" photo

Could that street scene be at side of broad marsh

That would be Sussex Street leading on to Middle Marsh and the bottom of Middle hill/Drury Hill/Garners hill.

Sussex Street was very narrow .

• 2 weeks later...

Love these past and present photos .

Remember going to the Scala for the non stop cartoons in the mid 60s . Looks a bit sad now with all those empty premises .

• Upvote 1

Good Grief, this is just around the corner from me. What a change !