Trent Bridge school for boys.

Chambers had round milk bottle bottom glasses.

Sat the girls at the front where he could see their legs.

Called two boys out for talking, gave them each a piece of paper and asked

them to write the number of strokes of the cane they wanted.

First put '1' and was given 1 stroke

Second put '0' and was told to sit back at his desk :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was constantly slippered by Mr Hall at Beeston Fields juniors....he was pure evil.......... It made me realise that teaching was my future career and discipline did not have to be in the form of p

I was at Trent Bridge from 55/59 along with Michael B (although he has a few problems remembering) the new headmaster in 1955 Mr Green (later I think at Ellis) could be a rather disagreeable chap as

Drove past our old school on Wednesday as I was having a look at the 'old Meadows' School totally demolished. Many happy memories of the old place, mates and teachers. Kind regards, Tony

Mick apologies,

I have just looked through some programmes for prize giving at the Bridgeway hall.Old 'Bills' Christian name was not William-his initials were A J Baines !

Why did we all call him Bill ?

Michael Booth has sent me instructions on how to post pics / docs. If I fail can I send them to you ?

Kind regards

Tony

Mick apologies,

I have just looked through some programmes for prize giving at the Bridgeway hall.Old 'Bills' Christian name was not William-his initials were A J Baines !

Why did we all call him Bill ?

Michael Booth has sent me instructions on how to post pics / docs. If I fail can I send them to you ?

Kind regards

Tony

Am I right in thinking Michael Booth came from Mundella to TB?.........if so he was in my class... tall lad, can you place me Tony... whats yr surname?

My Cousin Vincent Bentley & his mate from next door (something Fry?) claims to have wrote "Rutt is a barsteward on the roof." Still not sure if I was being had.

Mr Marciniak was supposed to soak his canes in oil, not sure if true but it flipping well hurt. He was a friend of my Dads & I thought he'd never cane me, how wrong I was.

Got walloped in assembly in front of the whole school by Pot Leg Bill for laughing at a gormless lad, he said "a boy over there seems to find something funny at the back" (I was smallest in the class so had to stand at the front) I knew he meant me & smirked & paid the price. I've never felt so embarrassed in my life. :)

Was it Kevin Fryer?

Ayup Hoggie, I knew you when you lived on London road, Dennis from Glebe street.

OMG.... Hello mate.... were you in Tilby terrace ... and didn't you have an old tv set in back yr with mice in it, I might be wrong .. its sure a long time ago. but great to hear from you

hoggie (#29), I was a Trent Bridge pupil and never attended Mundella school. John, my eldest brother, did though. I had a laugh when I read your comment (#32) 'and didn't you have an old tv set in back yard with mice in it'... :laugh:

So sorry... there was a Paul Booth in my class, some memories of meadows still make me laugh... Denshaw I remember was a really nice lad. nice to meet you

Post #30

Could be the name Fryer, can't for life of me think of his first name, lived on Waterway st..

Post 31

That's my cousin Jackie, she lived just off Meadow lane at one time, see her at family functions....

.Yes ... I remember her... I think there was a kevin Fryer

• 1 month later...

Hi Hoggie OMG I have just seen my name quoted on this forum, from yourself - did we know each other back then? I found that our class seemed to have the least profile on this forum for the year!!! in my class there was a kevin? Dunford, Kenneth Rust, Olga ? (from the Ukraine) - do these names ring a bell with you?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was at Trent Bridge from 55/59 along with Michael B (although he has a few problems remembering) the new headmaster in 1955 Mr Green (later I think at Ellis) could be a rather disagreeable chap as indeed were many of the teachers mentioned on this forum,anyway he was the first I understand to ban us going in the "rock gardens" and also banned christmas parties at the school after a slow hand clap when a projector broke down Christmas 1955.

Do I sound bitter,well there,s a reason you see this same headmaster had a teacher hold a boy down whilst he thrashed him also chasing him around the hall with the lad crying out this was outside the classrooms,not uncommon I suppose in those days but here's the problem,weeks later the boy was found drown in the canal he "fell "off the bridge near the railway station and the verdict was accidently drowning,I often think back, he was a loner and had that smell of poverty( i,am sure some of you will know the smell) so we all had little to do with him.

Sorry had to get it off my chest and this forum gave me the opportunity......

• Upvote 3

Trevor, that's so sad. How dreadful to think that this young lad (possibly) thought life was no longer worth living. There wasn't quite the same brutality from teachers at my school - Carlton-le-Willows - at that time. I know that certain pupils were disciplined but not in such an extreme way as you describe.