Trent Bridge school for boys.

Trevor, the bloody man didn't change either. I believe he was science master at Ellis before my time and then came to you poor buggers as head. He came back to Ellis as head in the late 50s and was a complete tyrant. He called one lad out in morning assembly, whip his buttoned blazer down over his arms to stop him struggling, held him over a chair and thrashed the daylights out of him. He caned me twice for no good reason.

I went back to Ellis to install some stuff in the school kitchens I'd be 25/26 at the time and the first thing I did was look for Green, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective he had left.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was constantly slippered by Mr Hall at Beeston Fields juniors....he was pure evil.......... It made me realise that teaching was my future career and discipline did not have to be in the form of p

I was at Trent Bridge from 55/59 along with Michael B (although he has a few problems remembering) the new headmaster in 1955 Mr Green (later I think at Ellis) could be a rather disagreeable chap as

Drove past our old school on Wednesday as I was having a look at the 'old Meadows' School totally demolished. Many happy memories of the old place, mates and teachers. Kind regards, Tony

Oliver Barnett at FFGS must have been trained at the same Jap prison camp as Green.

Barnett once told me after being severely caned in both palms to take a chair. I replied 'thank you sir' he said 'bend over it you fool' .

Then it was six on the backside. My palms were red and hurt for days, but no way was I going to winger to anybody.

I've commented on Green before I think on an Ellis thread. The man was a moron who only ruled by bullying. Hadrill, the headmaster before would come out of his office and just stand there if a group of boys were being noisy.The boys showed him their respect by immediately going quietly about their business.That's what you call discipline....not dragging boys into the office for a thrashing.

Even the school teddy boy hardmen had respect for Hadrill, and they generally hated authority in any shape or form.

• Upvote 1

'53# hippo girl

think we lucky at Padstow Chrissie,.............never recall any of the Girls getting corp.punishment................most of us lads got the Strap,cane or slipper,but never thought much about it...............it was taken as normal.............and liked most of the Teachers.

• Upvote 1

I certainly didn't deserve the constant abuse I received from that awful teacher........maybe he didn't understand my scouse humour or accent ...... Or was too thick ( 6month trained ) to answer my intellectual questions !!!???LOL

• Upvote 2

Like fly..no sign of crying or giving in,at the Becket I got six across my backside.. and said "thanks"..he then strapped me across the face!!

This was the strap that held the window up or down in a railway carriage.. Hope it was a GCR one!!

Gosh, when I read these posts it makes me shudder....... How can teachers inflict pain on a child ?.........did we learn from it. ? No, it kept us quiet and as I have said time and time again, good teachers are born not made.......they can impart learning and discipline with pride and humility .........

• Upvote 2

Reading those terrible posts made me shudder too Hippo Girl, and I realise how lucky we were at our school where the worst punishment was detention or lines - and we felt hard done by! I know corporal punishment was a regular practice but that guy sounds barbaric. I remember a teacher at Mundella once throwing a blackboard rubber at one of the lads in class for not paying attention but can't recall anyone being caned.

On the same subject but not to do with school, I watched a programme on Cilla Black where she was singing 'Liverpool Lullaby' and noticed the lyrics had changed from 'You'll gerra belt from your da' to 'You'll gerra telling off from your da'.

• Upvote 1

No, there was no caning at Mundella, in seven years I can't ever remember teachers getting angry or bullying, everything was always quite laid back. Occasionally the PE teacher wielded his slipper, no big deal though.

At FFGS, the music teacher had me up in front of the class one day. He walked up to me and grabbed a handful of hair just in front of my ear and dragged me to the front of the room. He then proceeded to slap me across my face and I hit the other side of my head on a protruding nail on the wall. It bled a bit but he was totally unconcerned. I almost wet myself but smirked whilst walking back to my desk muttering ' f***ing queer w***er. The whole class erupted with laughter, but he didn't respond. Thankfully.

Sorry your right rubberneck it was I had him for maths in my finale year what a bloody misery.

TK mate of mine 13 years older than me was there in the war when they had some.......................lady teachers.

Do you remember and I hope I get this one right Wearing-Stuart a teacher that didn't last long.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a Trent Bridge Old Boy - 1955 - 1958 

Best wishes

Peter

• 1 year later...

TB Seniors 1951-1955 class 1b -2b -3b 4b form master  Graham Hind Headmaster  F.  Bateman

A great school attended by great lads.Spent some great times there I know what became of the school

but as to the whereabouts of the lads  ???  I hope they are keeping well