Children in Need

I think the 'Liberal Conservatives' will destroy this country, with their open borders!

Anyways, when I was a kid in the late 50s early 60s we had very little, and often no money for food.

For a short time we lived in a caravan in a field in Lincolnshire, at a place called Bucknall. We had no money and the caravan was not connected to Gas Electricity or water.

In fact come to think of it, I don't remember where we got water from, there must have been a tap somewhere, Also I don't remember any toilet?

I remember walking in the fields of Lincolnshire looking for wood for the fire because we could not afford the small bags of coal from the local store.

We stayed there over Christmas 1962, into the new year through one of the worst winters ever.

Freezing conditions and heavy snow if you remember. Christmas day I remember Social services bringing us some food and me some Christmas presents. Some second hand toys, nevertheless very welcome when I had none. I can still remember to this day, one being a Popeye game.

I would have considered at that time that I was a 'Child in need'.

This may still be happening with the homeless that we have now and all the illegal immigrants over here. Who knows how they are living or where? If they don't have a fixed abode they tend to drop off the radar.

This may still be happening with the homeless that we have now and all the illegal immigrants over here. Who knows how they are living or where? If they don't have a fixed abode they tend to drop off the radar.

Well. the illegal immigrants could always return from whence they came.

• Upvote 1

#26 Mick2me

I read your story above and it filled me with sadness for you. You also inspired me to write about an image that has been in my mind for many years, tho i can't put a year on it.

Whilst walking through Nottingham on my way towards the Square on a very busy pre Christmas Saturday, every one around rushing to get those last minute presents, all lost in their own aims for the day.

The crowds of people all coming towards me with arms full of bulging Christmas shopping bags, trying to avoid each other in the rush, i think it was on Exchange Walk. Suddenly through these people, walking so fast came a pair so sad, A mother and little girl, no coats, looking down at the floor, disheveled and panic on their faces , holding hands and the mam clutching a carrier bag, the little girl a doll. I carried on that day but i have never forgotten them,What were they running from and where were they going. It was over in a moment but with me forever. I cry as i write this memory. That is a Child In Need and also a Mother.

• Upvote 3

In 1950s Bilborough there were loads of children in need. If you walked around the playground eating an apple there'd always be a couple of kids following you saying "Gizzacore, gizzacore". They were that desperate for food, all they wanted was your apple core.

Another example of poverty in the same era was if you walked down Old Coach Road near christmas, just as you approached the train bridge on the left had side was a naturally occurring coal seam. Nothing to shout about but if you rummaged around you'd get a bag of low grade coal for christmas. There were times when hundreds would be down there (us included). We kids thought it was great fun. I wonder if Bilbraborn can recall it?

• Upvote 1

Family Allowance free school dinners free milk free orange juice free bus tokens free education for all kids hardly in need when youd bin scrumping every kid in the school wanted a apple that was kids not starvation nowt to stop any kid from scrumping things were tight but unless you had parents who couldent work or who wouldent work you got by all of the above applied to those who did not work real poverty was witnessed by our grandparents who did not have welfare state or work.

I remember 'National Assistance' the forerunner of 'Social Security'.

This entailed sitting with me mam in a large waiting room with lots of other people,

before being called to a counter where you sat on a chair to talk to a man behind

a glass screen. The chair was provided because you were usually there talking for some time.

I hated it as we seemed to be in there for hours, before we got any money!

No giro through the door in those days, though after the ordeal, Mam would take you to

a cafe for some dinner, usually Woolworths. Also sometimes some new shoes, mine at the

time always seemed to have a hole in the sole which eventually extended to the sock when the

piece of cardboard I had put inside also wore through.

Poverty is a strange subject. Anyone can portray themselves as poor. But I have known in the past of people too proud to ask for help.

When I lived in Glasgow I lived among some very poor people. But they were poor for various reasons. There were dads (and mums) who were alcoholics and others who were gambling addicts. And others who were both. Across the road from us lived a family with 14 kids living in a 2 roomed tenement. Yes 2 rooms only. He gambled every penny and drank all sorts of weird freebies. There was no gas or electric - all cut off. All the windows boarded up. the kids spent most of the time hunting around derelict buildings for wood to burn. Everything was cooked on the open fire and it was usually scavenged waste. The kids were lovely and we adored them and tried to help their mum the best we could. The eldest daughter left school and got a job to help out eventually. She was my eldest sons godmother. The last I heard of her she was living in London.

That was true poverty. Self brought on but they needed help. But that was the early 70s and no-one cared.

Modern concept of poverty.

Got no Iphone5, only this soddin Iphone4a!

Looks like I am stuck wiv mee windows 7 computer too!

No HD on this damned CRT TV!... Badly need PLASMA!

Bin wiv Sky fer, like, five year, started at 25 quid a month,

nah seems to have increased to 65! an thats not includin Sky Sport,

wiv the football season comin up anaallll...

bu99er this slow Virgin 30mb broadband, cant afford Virgins 100mb

Pizza hut is getting expensive too, had to give up the Three Meat Special

and make do wiv their Margarheta!

Price of gas! Good job I dont cook at ome!

Nowt I can do about electric tho!

An how much is it gonna cos me ter get this tattoo changed from

'Chantelle' to 'Sharon'

But theres always someone woss off than you

Theres them that have ter role ther own fags anaall!

Proper fags is a luxury BUT am not gonna go back to 'Old Holborn'

Ayer there Duck.... Is That Giro cum yet?

NAH! Damned Social!

Soddit aaam gooin dahn pub!

Ter drown me sorrows!

Wheres them car keys?

(mick2me 2013)

• Upvote 3

Give your money for charity's sake, take no account if some would fake

An empty pocket, some do - but don't knock it

This sounds to me like good advice, so I'll see to it in a trice!

Here's some for the poor, I should really give more,

And a little at least for the mystic east.

Now cash to help snow leopards survive, I'm nearly skint, but I'll contrive

To put some aside for those who've tried

At social care - Hmmm! Don't forget the bear!

And listen, can't you hear the pleas of those unfortunates with a disease?

And those whose corn crops have no ears? God! I've been helping them for years!

But what of the lads who go to war? How for the government? They should do more.

Now let us not forget to mention those poor folk who starve on pension,

All are cold and have no heat and never have enough to eat.

I've served my conscience, I'm content. Oh dear, I think I've over spent.

Go to charity??? I refuse! I'll go out a selling you some 'Big Issues'!

• Upvote 2