Moving to nottingham

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

McCarthy & Stone have just finished a new block of apartments on the Embankment, on the site of the old Becket School. With views and location like that, it's almost worth being old.

#68 I worked with a youth who traveled every morning from Newark to Nottingham & back, we had to listen every morning how many people had cut him up, braked early or late, drove to slow or fast, w

There was this young apprentice that had saved all his dosh & brought some rocket on wheels, he would tank it down the A52 Clifton Bouvard everyday then cut it last minute over three lanes into th

Me book of place names sez:

Kingston Upon Hull, alternatively called simply Hull, from the river Hull from early times [Hul 1228] the river name being either Old Scandinavian [meaning the deep one] or Celtic] meaning the muddy one]. So now you know.

Or `Hel.....Hell.! In the Poetic Edda, Prose Edda, and Heimskringla, Hel is referred to as a daughter of Loki, and to "go to Hel" is to die.

In Norse mythology, Hel is the ruler of Helheim, the realm of the dead. She is the youngest child of the evil god Loki and the giantess Angrboda. She is usually described as a horrible hag, half alive and half dead, with a gloomy and grim expression. Her face and body are those of a living woman, but her thighs and legs are those of a corpse, mottled and moldering.

Sounds about right for modern day Hull.!

An unusual find for the reason of the hull of a ship :

hull (n.2) dictionary.gif "body of a ship," 1550s, perhaps from hull ........resemblance of ship keels to open peapods or hull of the seed pod..... Alternative is from Middle English hoole"ship's keel" (mid-15c.), from the same source as hold (n.).
  • 2 years later...

Well its been nearly 3 years since I moved to nottingham, ended up in the sherwood area, and absolutely love it, still commuting to hull and that aint to bad , seem to time it so traffic aint to bad. But!!!!! After 3 years ive decided , nottingham people are the worst drivers in the country. Mansfield road! Yeh its busy, it as a couple of congestion lanes that narrow into 1 lane after a short distance, I get that,  but what I dont get , is when its not busy , why does everyone go in the outside lane? Kills me, everone surely knows the lane merges back to one, what makes it worst, is them same bad drivers then think its them who have right of way over the driver in correct lane! Is this just me ? Am I wrong ? And dont get me started on a164, I cant count the number of accidents near misses ive seen on that road. Really love the nottingham folk, but please sort your driving out

#68 I worked with a youth who traveled every morning from Newark to Nottingham & back, we had to listen every morning how many people had cut him up, braked early or late, drove to slow or fast, wrong lane, this was at 5 in the morning! There was lad who lived that way & started car sharing with him, it only lasted a week, he said this youth was shouting at everything on the road, even sheep in fields.

I have always found that those that moan about other peoples driving are actually the ones at fault.

• Upvote 3

Everybody thinks they are a good driver and all the others are rubbish.

Most people will admit to being useless at something; eg, "I can't do any sports" or "I can't tell jokes" or "I can't draw" or "I can't cook"........ but you'll never hear anyone say "I'm a terrible driver".  It's the one thing where everyone has a good opinion of themselves.

• Upvote 1

You're right there Cliff. I'm normally a terrible passenger as I think I'm better  than my driver. 

I can admit to not enjoying driving I avoid where ever I can, could be something to do with living off Crown Island, can't  stand sitting in traffic, I have pulled off Middleton Bouvard down a side street & left the car & walked & fetched it later. My last car we had it from new, it failed its MOT after 11 years on tyres, the tread was fine, it was the walls of the tyres that had cracked & perished it had done 8000 miles! 

John D Laudermilk wrote and sang it. It was later recorded by the Nashville Teens.

There was this young apprentice that had saved all his dosh & brought some rocket on wheels, he would tank it down the A52 Clifton Bouvard everyday then cut it last minute over three lanes into the slip road, few occasions I managed to time it just right so he could not get in & send him over Clifon Bridge, I waited in the works car park to laugh at him, he was that insenced he slammed his door that hard his front window shattered, laugh nearly shat myself.

Last seen with the engine on his lap taking gas & air while they cut his legs out.

• Upvote 2

#74 The answer is (if anyone cares) is The Humber Bridge Song by that almost local band the Ripley Wayfarers. First heard it at the Ripley Folk Club

in the Horse and Jockey. It is on their album Chips and Brown Sauce, a great local delicacy.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Re# 78, I was amused by what Jill said about Goole being desolate. As it is a dismal afternoon I recalled some of the best / worst towns and cities I'd visited during my times following Forest. 

Worst.... Bradford, Halifax, Luton, Wolverhampton.

Best......Southampton, Brighton, Ipswich and Norwich. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry Carni, I've only seen the roads leading to Molyneaux. Cheer up gel. 

• Upvote 1

#82................nearly concur fly,........Luton awful and Bradford,but loved Brighton and Norwich,and just to cheer Carnie up and Wolverhampton.....

I've passed through it twice recently and as you say truly horrendous. Traffic lights everywhere, you need three sets of eyes there.

I followed my satnav heading north, and I ended up in the bleddy bus station after going the wrong way down a one way street.