Moving to nottingham

Oh Benjamin, your not creeping again are you? Are you hoping she's going to sing for you. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

McCarthy & Stone have just finished a new block of apartments on the Embankment, on the site of the old Becket School. With views and location like that, it's almost worth being old.

#68 I worked with a youth who traveled every morning from Newark to Nottingham & back, we had to listen every morning how many people had cut him up, braked early or late, drove to slow or fast, w

There was this young apprentice that had saved all his dosh & brought some rocket on wheels, he would tank it down the A52 Clifton Bouvard everyday then cut it last minute over three lanes into th

I'll tell you one thing, ill give you ten out of ten for trying. 

Luton is a dire hole of a place..twinned with Chernobyl me thinks!

Don't like Cardiff neither.

Exeter is a grand little spot.. as is Huddersfield.

If i was to move back to Nottm....it would be Bottesford or the like.

Rooftop Apt near or in the Park would suit... bit near family though!!

Talking of dire..... Watford definitely comes into that category.

Yes IAN.....................Love Exeter wife family all down there,visit often.........wouldn't live in a Village again (except Bestwood) think next move will be a nice apartment.........Nottingham or Spain either will do................

In 1972,our Corporation house had to be vacated..the cellar was flooding,there was no damp in this house on Skynner st.the gaps under the doors and ill fitting glass saw that there was ample ventilation!

We viewed several houses in areas i shuddered at - Broxtowe, Aspley and Clifton ( Dunsbury Close?) Eventually we opted for Grind - on as we called it.

Wonder where I'd move to now?

FLY2 #82 Those brought back some memories of following the Reds. By far the bleakest place we went to see the Reds was Turf Moor at Burnley a beautiful emerald green sward of grass, a wind that went straight through you and pi**ing down with rain, no wonder the grass was so green.

My worst ever away trip was with a mate who was an avid Stags supporter of Geordie heritage who convinced me to go up north to see the Stags play a colliery team, Tow Law in the first round of the FA Cup in 67/68 at Ironworks Road. If I remember correctly the ground had quite a slope on it from wing to wing which the Stags could not handle and lost 5-1

Yes Oz, Turf Moor was a bleak and charmless place, however, on a similar note, so was Oldham's ground. Elwood Park. I once attended a league cup match there, and when we left Nottm, it was brilliant and sunny. By kick off, it was dark, cold and windy in the open section, and the Forest fans were clearing up rubbish and sticks and lightning small fires to keep warm.

I seem to remember a lot of these South and West Yorkshire / East Lancashire places were cold, uninviting and thoroughly depressing. Preston Park at Tranmere, Birkenhead was another. Then of course, for coldness there are the places such as Grimsby, Sunderland and Hull. Oh my God, I've never been so glad to get back to the car as I was at Grimsby on a sleeting windy February night. Great days though, and I wouldn't have missed them for the world. 

• Upvote 1

FLY, Boothferry Park, having to go round via Goole,  Roker Park and after the game at the West End club, serious headaches.

We must have been at some of the same matches. Like you, I would do it all over again if I had the chance.

The only place that would tempt me back to Nottingham is Trent Bridge. A nice apartment overlooking the Trent. Just a walk away from fishing or doing a bit of indoor rowing and drinking at one of the boat clubs. Not old enough to settle for an apartment yet though.

• Upvote 1

Oz, at the old Roker Park, we used to frequent The New Derby pub. A big home stronghold, but we never had any bother there.

Stockport County was another desolate dump too. 

The worst ground for ambience and amenities was QPR's Loftus Rd...... Dire. 

One of the best was Crystal Palaces Supporters Club. Good food, friendly fans, and the beer wasn't too bad for southern pi55. 

Most fun had...... Celtic away, worst nightmare....... Lyons away. 

4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Your better this side of the Trent. 

Agree RR. Quite like the old leather works conversions and that area facing the rowing clubs.

The ones pictured by CT are £300k + ~ £4K pa maintenance. Bread and Lard Island? Nah :rolleyes:

And no character either, Loppy! I love old buildings. They might be draughty or even drafty, crooked due to settlement and need a lot of work but I'll opt for that every time over modern architecture!

As for ghosts, they are mainly just memories of the past...and we all love those, don't we?   ;)

• Upvote 1