Found this interesting little site...

http://www.ripoffbritain.org.uk/

I would like to know why Utility companies charge daily standing charges on top of the actual gas electricity charges.

Why not just include them in the per unit charge vso that we can easily compare their prices?

Perhaps I just answered my own question?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm more scared of Mrs Catfan than the Dentist !

BAAAAANG !

Darkazana, post # 15. I absolutely agree with you that this Large Letter issue is a complete rip-off and the Post Office have had this rule in operation for a number of years now. Our local office i

I've been with E-on for a long time now. About three years ago they sent me a letter saying they were introducing a standing charge.

They hadn't had one before, it was simply a way of making more money.

It's the same with water charges, one element of my bill is 'Surface Water Drainage'

I live in a middle floor flat, I don't have any surfaces.

But everyone has to pay it, it's just another way for them to make more money!

If the City Council cleared out more drains, there would be less surface water.

In ten years of living in Basford, I've seen the gully cleaning wagon three times in Hucknall Rd. Nearly every one on the way to town is blocked not just with leaves but stones, soil, grit and general litter. It makes me furious when the little gutter cleaning machine comes along and gathers leaves, but brushes over the grates thereby leaving more detritus to fall through the grille.

If surface water can't soak through the drain, it will naturally roll downhill until it reaches it's lowest point and cause flooding.

Every gully should be serviced at least once a year, especially autumn time. Simples!

I once asked why I had to pay extra water rates for having a garage. I was told that it was for the water draining off the garage roof. So if the garage wasn't there then there was no water to drain from that little area of ground. Yeah! Right!

It is not a British rip-off but all the foreigners who own or have shares in the utilities companies.

They all think we are all thick.

It's the same as this b-----ks about the carbon footprint. All these politicians going on about how green Britain should be. Then we import all this food we could grow or produce here in Britain. How much in the way of emissions are we saving (not) here?

• Upvote 2

Carbon footprint my A$*E, From last week HGV driving tests must be taken with a loaded wagon, so if the training is with a loaded wagon then think how much extra fuel is going to be wasted.

My wagon averaged 5.8 mpg today.

• Upvote 3

Heard on the news this morning that yet another road safety group want to add another three seconds crossing time at pedestrian operated traffic lights. What do these brainless pr**ks want! single file traffic following behind a little Hitler bedecked In high viz clothing waving a red flag. It already takes an age on the so called ring road at the moment. Will the costly "improvements" make it better for motorists, not a at in hells chance .

Another group of half wits want it made law that drivers should lock their mobiles in the boot, and also do away with hands free kits so as to eliminate any distractions for drivers. What about banning talking to passengers or wives talking to husbands, or banning the consumption of food or changing a CD. They probably want future cars built like taxis with the driver is confined to a small cubicle.

You still see smokers light up and surely they aren't concentrating. I'd ban cyclists, they cause more accidents than anyone.

• Upvote 2

Most Cyclists probably drive cars too (No! not at the same time!) . It is my guess that bad cyclists are also bad motorists and Vice Versa. Roads are much busier these days and lorries a lot bigger. We need to separate cyclists from motorists on the busiest of roads. Cyclists really must take responsibility for their own safety. It is no use giving off about a lorry in the wrong place when you are maimed for life. As a young cyclist years ago I used to glance back when I passed a parked vehicle. It is always best to wait sooner than get knocked over.

Cyclists should be fined for not using cycle lanes. It makes sense to use them. I see a lot of passing red lights by cyclists and not having adequate lighting. And what about a bell!!?? If cyclists used a bell to warn of approach, it would be safer to walk along the canal towpath.

I have no beef with cyclists on pavements, but they should ride slowly and give way to pedestrians. I nearly got badly injured by a young cyclist riding down the steep hill pavement outside my home. He was clearly not in control and I only just managed to dodge him.

Maybe if motorists had to have a spell cycling on a busy road as part of their driver training for their test it would help.

Bad drivers are as irritating to other drivers as they are to cyclists.

Hospital car parking charges - Rip Off!

I totally agree, hospital parking charges are disgraceful. With the parking charges being as high as they are at QMC you would have thought there would have been some level of security to prevent thefts from cars but there isn't any that I have seen . All there is are signs stating the bleeding obvious about leaving valuables on show.

There are a number of disabled only carparks which are handy for those who genuinely need them but I sometimes wonder how many carers /relatives abuse the system for their own appointments,

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

And now for the Post Office!!!

Grrrrrr

I received a card stating that an underpaid envelope was waiting for collection with a fee of £1.09.....09 for the under payment £1.00 for admin fees! I went to collect it as I suspected it was a birthday card from my Mum, which it was. I questioned why it was underpaid and it was because it didn't fit through their minute slit of a test opening, and was pointed out to me that it did state on the back of the card that it was classed as a "Large Letter". Now Mum at 82years old had not realised this, in fact until then I hadn't realised that this is now on the back of cards.

Just writing out some Christmas cards and realised that 50% of the cards I have bought seem like normal sized cards but because they have a 3 D effect they are also classed as Large Letters because they won't fit through the post office slit (which is less than half a centimetre). Who has letter boxes like that???

Just another con to get more money. I have never been a "don't send cards person", I have always regarded it as a more personal way to keep in touch but I feel I am going to have to reassess my thoughts on the subject.

Rant over but still feeling grrrrrrrr madashell

• Upvote 1

These days the public pocket is regarded as a 'charity' pool for all, no matter who. Any excuse for getting hold of your money which, whether we like it or not, is the most important thing in the world, bar nothing.

• Upvote 1

Watch out for unscrupulous sellers on EBay who use the price hike by Royal Mail to try and screw a few extra bob out of the buyer.

I now compare postage charges on similar items to get the cheapest deals.

Darkazana, post # 15. I absolutely agree with you that this Large Letter issue is a complete rip-off and the Post Office have had this rule in operation for a number of years now. Our local office is the main one in town near the Ice Stadium, which is a real pain when it comes to going there to collect underpaid letters, nowhere to park, too far to walk from the bus route. Then when you get to the front of the queue you find that it's something you don't necessarily want ....... I'm not saying I don't want Christmas and Birthday cards but you know what I mean! I always look on the back of greetings cards now before I buy them to make sure they can go regular postage. But then regular postage is now a ridiculous price ....... I've just bought over £40 worth of stamps for Christmas cards, mainly because I can't strike people off my list, and there's no way I will stop sending cards at Christmas. When people tell me they're not doing cards this year but donating to charity I feel like telling them that I do both !! Today I gave my postman a nice Christmas box so with luck he'll deliver any oversized cards without me having to go to the sorting office

• Upvote 3

I Dont trust the postal service there was an instance I read about somewhere in the UK when a postman instead of trying to post a parcel he just posted through a card to say that they were unable to deliver due to there being nobody in to accept the parcel, when in fact the householder was in at the time and the postman didnt ring the doorbell or even knock at the door or have any intention of delivering the parcel which had been alledgedley left at the sorting office when organising his delivery round.

Just laziness plain and simple

Instances like that are few and far between fch782c. Why would a postman go to somebody's door and put a card in the letterbox and not actually deliver a parcel? However, I'm not thrilled with the post at the moment. I posted a letter first class at the main post office on Queen Street at midday on Saturday, I think the last collection is about 6pm, even on a Saturday. It was an urgent letter but unfortunately it didn't arrive at it's destination in Bedfordshire until Tuesday morning. So much for 1st class post.

I've been sending birthday, Christmas and other cards via the Internet for a long time now. You can select a joke card or a normal one and add a message and it's all free. They ask you to look at a short advert and that's it. You have to log in, just as you do to Nottstalgia and that's it. Have a look at it and see what you think. It's fun and it's free and they also inform you when the card has been seen. Just like the newspaper site I put on here, I'm trying to save you some money.

www.birthdayecard.com/Free

• Upvote 1

#23 Michael,

I use the internet for folks abroad, or if I have forgotten a birthday, but prefer the conventional method for the more personal touch, and for some people who don't have computers.

I do pay for the service but at £7 a year for unlimited use, with excellent choice for any occasion it soon pays for itself and no adverts to watch.