• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm more scared of Mrs Catfan than the Dentist !

BAAAAANG !

Darkazana, post # 15. I absolutely agree with you that this Large Letter issue is a complete rip-off and the Post Office have had this rule in operation for a number of years now. Our local office i

I haven't been to the dentist in years and am no longer registered to one. As long as I'm having no trouble I have no intention to see one anytime soon!

Only cos ya scared :)

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention I'm on the old age pension and have no other income dental treatment is not covered totally by our Medicare for pensioners. There are I understand some limited procedures that can be performed at a city hospital which is 200 kms away and a big waiting list.If you haven't been to the dentist in years take my advice and go it could save you a lot of expense and pain,root canal being the worst.

• Upvote 1

I haven't been to the dentist in years and am no longer registered to one. As long as I'm having no trouble I have no intention to see one anytime soon!

Me too

BUT looking on the bright side? I have had dentures for years

And if they ache I just take them out and pop them in a glass :)

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

I used to go twice a year for checkups when we lived in Sacramento, $20 a visit, check and clean, rest was covered by my wife's companies insurance. Exceptional dentist, never did anything that was unecessary.

I had three crowns, each would have cost me $600 had we not been insured. Had I not had them, I'd have had three gaps. I don't know what he used as a local, but he didn't use hypodermic needles, but never hurt once when he gave me new fillings. I don't recall what the excess was I had to pay on each of the crowns, but it wasn't a lot.

I'm lucky to be in the catering trade. Managed to acquire loads of Christmas puds (which I shared with friends and relations), a load of pork pie, Ham and other stuff. All well in date and destined for the bin because of Christmas closures. Yum yum.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

RIP OFF BRITAIN programme team were in Victoria Centre today. I didn't hang around but I only saw one of the regular presenters, Angela Rippon. Don't suppose it will be on the telly for another year though.

• Upvote 1

Always liked Angela,remember when she danced with Morcombe and Wise,and ripped her skirt off revealing great legs?

• Upvote 2

A lot of these extra charges are bought about by government intervention.

I am in plumbing/domestic central heating and gas. It seems nowadays that new regulations appear about twice a year and they always put the price up to the end user. This year so far room thermostats and thermostatic radiator valves are now compulsory on all new systems, replacement radiators and when fitting new boilers.

In Oct smoke alarms and legionella assessments become compulsory in all domestic rented property, yes the landlord will have to pay but it will be reflected in the rent you pay. Everyone excepts that domestic properties are very low risk for legionella in fact no one can give an example of a actual case but it will still go ahead. I have heard prices ranging from £70 to £180 just for the assessment.

And you've guessed it ........................it adds to the amount of VAT collected.

Gordon Brown kicked it of with the electrical regulations limiting the amount of DIY electrics that can be done by the homeowner, the rest have seen it as a good thing and just carried on.

I doubt it Catfan, it's probably because we've bought a few tyres from there. But must admit that they are a decent bunch of lads in there.

• Upvote 1

#90 Newbasfordlad I've worked for myself in the past and as you know materials go up in price there's only so much you can absorb and then you have to pass it on to the customer unfortunately.

Wow, Britain has so many rules and regs these days, changed a lot since I left in 79.

In Australia, you're required to be a licensed elec to do work on anyones house, need a contractors license to do elecs for charge.

I did my own elec work as I was an elec, though not licensed, but still legal.

Here I do my own plumbing, elec and gas fitting, as far as DIY, there are few regulations governing it, major structure work on a house usually requires permits and inspections, but even that is limited to where you live.

Where I live, I'm in a rural community, I don't need planning permissions or inspection permits. Don't you love freedom!

Ayup,

If you came back to Blighty right now. You would not be able to do any gas work at all. Only registered engineers are allowed to install, service gas appliance's. That involves going for assessments in the appliance's you want to work on every five years at a cost of just over a grand. Then annual registration payments of just over £300-00p As a for instance you could not even work on your own chimney if it as a gas fire fitted down below.

Despite the qualifications you hold and all your experience the amount of electrical work you could do would be very limited, for instance you could not legally install your own outside light. People do but if something goes wrong and your insurers find out your household insurance would be invalid. The powers that be even changed the colour coding on cable cores 6 months after the regs came into affect so that they know the installation was carried out after the regs came into force..

#91 No Michael most of it is home grown, if you had European wide regulation you would not see some of the very poor standards allowed when you pop off to the continent for your jollies. This is one of the worries we have when we see foreign building workers coming over here, we have no idea what standards they are used to.

• Upvote 1

There's a lot of talk regarding having to replace car tyres at 5 years old, could be checked at the MOT test.

This will mean increased MOT fee & who do you think are pushing this idea ? Tyre manufactures !

• Like 1

check gas regs ISBN 0-7176-1635-5 reg 3 note 45, you only need to be tested and registered if you are carrying on a business working with gas, You can service your own, friends and relations etc so long as you do not charge' I know this to be a fact as was threatened with court action and eviction until gas safe backed me on this.

ps as regards tyre wear get a good soldering iron and recut the tread pattern! only joking, but have seen in done in the good old days! I always get my tyres at podders, 99% (I didn't count) of their cars are MOT failures, and what's first thing you do if taking a car for a MOT? make sure tyres are in good nick, even buy new ones