Just wondering what reasons there can be for someone not being found on a census. In this case the 1901 census.

The people I am looking for are: John William Cooper, born Burton Joyce 1878, and Annie Elizabeth Cooper nee Horton born Newark 1875. Also on that census would be Florence Rose (My Grandmother). She had her mothers maiden name of Horton when born (1896/7) but acquired Cooper at some stage. John and Annie were married in Nottingham in June 1901. I can find them on Derwent Street, Medders on 1911 census, but they are invisible nationwide on the 1901 census.

Were censuses held in October that far back like they are now?

I've done a lot of my family history research, and I wonder if it is just coincidence that I also have a number of gaps in the 1901 census. I can trace people in 1891 and find them again in 1911, but they disappear in 1901.

The explanation may be that whoever did the transcriptions into digital form was not very good at the job. They mis-read entries on the original documents and didn't copy them accurately into the digital version, and that inaccurate version is what we are all now forced to look at.

I assume you've used the "or similar" options on searches to allow for minor spelling differences; but unfortunately it's not wide enough to compensate for poor original transcription.

That's exactly the way it seems to me. I found many spelling mistakes. Basford becomes Barford and Newark become Newash. John William was an electric crave driver

My Grandfather and family disappeared from sight after the 1891 Nottingham census which caused me a lot of confusion.On widening the search....and quite by accident,I found him and his family lodging in St Pancras in 1901.

His unusual trade caught my attention otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue.Nobody in my family had the faintest idea that he had spent time in London and they all came to a brick wall until I found him....chance in a thousand.

As for spellings with my sons wife 'Stark' Her family once again completely disappeared until I found them under 'Stork' never trust the spelling of names.

Sometimes, with searches on Ancestry, FMP, etc, less can be more. If you put fewer details in their searches, you get more results but ploughing through them can help to find those whose names were wrongly transcribed.

Bear in mind that enumerators could have written them down incorrectly, or the web sites' own transcribers may have misread the enumerators handwriting.

One of my ancestors, for whatever reason, gave a middle name as his surname, and it was only because I was able to build the details of the rest of his family that I found him. He may have done this through distrust of authority after his dad was given a one-way ticket to Australia for borrowing a chicken, or he may just have been an awkward git, I don't know!

Or it may be as simple as they weren't at home on the day the enumerator came knocking!

The Census that year , 1901 was held on 31 March so before they married .

I can't John or Annie or young Florence after a quick search on the 1901 Census either . I can see John William Coopers parents living alone in Burton Joyce though .

Thanks. I was wondering what date the census might have taken place. I guess I might find John W. Cooper shacked up at the Horton's :Shock:

Are you sure that Horton is her "maiden" name ?

Just wondered if it was Annie Elizabeths 2nd marriage when she got hitched to John William Cooper ? . Is it possible she was first married to a Mr. Horton ?

i have a similar problem with my grand mother in 1891 census when shewas 13 i found her mother brothe and sister in radford workhouse in this census but not her her father having died age 26 shortly after the 1881 cencus the 1901 census shows her living withe her mother and siblings in lee st radford.its really frustrating not knowing if she had to go into the workhouse with her mother or if she perhaps was looked after by relitivesor was in service and just left of the census that year.

This may be some other Coopers and a Horton and nothing to do with yours .

In the E.Post is a traffic accident report on Derby Rd, Nottm , in Dec 1927.

Crossing the road were Miss Annie Dickens Cooper aged 75, living at 17 Canning Tce,

Emma Smith Cooper of Poole Rd, Leicester

and Florence Horton , 37 Midland Avenue . Nottm

Annie Dickens Cooper died after being hit by a motor cyclist.

Had a quick look last night and couldnt find those Coopers on any earlier Census but do you recognise the names ?

• 2 months later...

I seem to recall that the 1901 census was transcribed for digital by prisoners, and that not a very good job was done of it, whereas the 1911 census was done by a private company, who did a lot better job of it. (I may be wrong - I often am!)

• 7 years later...

The Census 2021 letter is about to drop through you letterbox, telling you how to do it online :crazy:

Some remoaners asking you to state your nationality as European :rotfl: get over it you lost, bet they don't want the vaccine either? englandflag

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/europe-news/brexit-2021-census-7658020

EvFl1EEXcAMfPTW?format=jpg&name=large

We haven’t had anything in the post apart from that purple form.  It’s Census Day tomorrow isn’t it?  
EDIT.   Just googled and it’s 21st March.  

We’ve already submitted our census online.  If anything changes before 21 March, you just have to inform them!

50 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

What happens if you're both involved in a freak yachting accident before the 21st?

Our Powers of Attorney will tell them if we aren’t in a fit state to do so ourselves!

No yachts round here but the way the fens seem permanently at risk of flooding (not enough dredging I think) we may float away on an upturned table.

41 minutes ago, Beekay said:

True, all true. I've even joined the Fenland Mountain Rescue Team. Emergencies only.

We do live on the lower slopes of a hill - but not a mountain.  You can still come and rescue us, though, if you like.