Jackie Pallo and old-style wrestling

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit late, just found this topic.  I used to go to Wrestling at Vic Baths.  Along with some mates we used to stand on the balcony. (Cheap Option).  On the way in always asked for "Next weeks Bill"

I used to watch the wrestling on World Of Sport, it was on from 4 - 5pm on Saturday. My mum used to love Les Kennet, if my dad came in while we were watching it he used to say it was rubbish. One of m

Aaaaahh.. It all transports me to a time of Black and White telly, coal fires and foggy Saturday afternoons in November.  Kent Walton.  Mick McManus, seeming almost normal alongside the likes of Adria

I lost interest in wrestling after I found out it's all acting, if I wanted to see a play, I'd have turned to BBC2.

Boxing's a serious sport, pro wrestlings just pure acting, any accidents are just that, they spend hours rehearsing!! The pro wrestling they have here are performed on special rings, the one the big actors "play" on, we'll call it the stage, is mounted on springs with a sub ring underneath, amplifies all the sound effects..LOL As well as giving a lot softer ring when they land badly.

How anyone can get excited by two big blokes putting on a staged show makes me shake my head.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I was reminded by a relation recently about my passion for wrestling when I was a youngster.

I did indeed love the grappling... but it was Bob from Dennis & Roberts who took me on Thursday or Tuesday nights to Victoria Baths and the odd time to a big bout at the Ice Rink.

Imagine that today?..I'd walk over the footbridge at Vic Station and meet Bob at The Forrester's Pub,hand him 10 Woodbine ..me Mam had bought and stroll to Vic Baths.

Most Baths within Nottm Corporation could be hired for boxing, or even badminton.

Refreshments were limited..i always went for the drinking chocolate in plastic cups...and corned beef cobs!

Mike Marino,Les Kellett,Jackie Palo,Adrian Streets and Bad Boy Bobby Barnes..drew a big crowd...quite literally old dears with handbags and brollies would attack Kendo Nagasaki... the Compere had to duck as some old'uns threw a cheese bap...or worse!

Very little blood in reality.. I knew it was 'fixed'..but often a grudge match occurred. Tug Wilson and Cat Weazle were great..saw Pat Roach long before Auf ....

We'd visit Greasy Lil's on the way home just up from the Booking Office on Huntington Street...back home for eleven.

Never saw Bob Transit van after I moved to Bulwell... and Dennis & Roberts went all swanky and moved into the new Victoria Centre.

"Easy Easy Easy".

ORIGINAL-_WRESTLING-_POSTER-1970s-_VICTOThundercloud_and_Whitecloud_Poster.jpgORIGINAL-_WRESTLING-_POSTER-1970s-_VICTO

• Like 2

I don't think my mam ever went to a live wrestling match, but she loved it on the telly. Being only 1 telly in the house, I had to endure it too if I was around. No sitting in your bedroom in those days. . Saturday afternoons if I remember rightly. She had her favourites, and if they were winning or losing, didn't matter, she'd stand up and shake her fist at the opponent,  yell at them, egg on her favourites etc. She was the entertainment itself, for me.

• Like 1

Dad had to stop going to the wrestling at Vic baths. he used to get so excited that he would thump the spectators in front of him on the shoulders and heads. He was normally a quiet, gentle man but could not restrain himself.

There was a lot of skill  demonstrated in (and out) of the ring  Les Kellett never ceased to amaze with his ability to pop back up on his feet when thrown across the ring.....and Jacky Pallow flying off the corner posts and being thrown over the ropes into the front row.

Think I mentioned before but many years ago I went to my local for a 6 pm sundowner and parked outside was a shiny new ford Granada, like the one that Graham Hill advertised (horrible car). Wonder who owns that I thought. Anyway, enters the pub and there at the bar was Steve Logan. "Have a pint with me" he says, which I accepted. We had a couple together and a chat. He was wrestling in Stafford that evening and liked a few pints before being thrown around the ring and getting stamped on :Shock: What surprised me was that he was only a small man. He looked so big and frightening ont' telly. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Les Kellett was brilliant, as was Tibor Zsakas. Seen them many times at Skeggy as a youngster.

I couldn't stand Jackie Pallow. I thought he was a sly, devious cheat ! 

Great entertainers though............wish i was half the rubbish wrestlers they were,,.....me Dad and Grandma loved them.........can't beat a good ''Forearm Smash''...........or even a ''Flying Drop-kick''........one of my ex wives would have been good one.....no acting with her she meant it.........bless her........lol.

Quite right Catfan..some played up to the cameras...but a cheap night out for 60p.

The fella that took me had to queue several days before for tickets! ...it was

that popular.

Character building for a Lad like meself 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Bit late, just found this topic. 

I used to go to Wrestling at Vic Baths.  Along with some mates we used to stand on the balcony. (Cheap Option).  On the way in always asked for "Next weeks Bill". (The bouts coming on following week in poster form) A good poster for sticking on your bedroom wall.  If asked why you would reply "for my Grandma's Shop".  Eventually  the regular bloke on the door would be save one for me. Good move, if "Next Weeks bill had some top named bouts on e.g Jackie Pallo, Bert Royal and his Bro'  etc. etc they would hard to get hold of.

Remember one Thursday night when the Beatles were at the Odeon in town, Ted Beresford,  the Promoter/MC (Little bald headed bloke in a DJ) made all his announcements wearing a Beatle wig.

Saw a post somewhere in Nostalgia re Billy Two Rivers(BTR) getting carried out of the ring. Not sure who his opponent was, First round, BTR was continually being thrown into the corner post (Scripted?) but he went down after his back made contact with the post for the umpteenth time, eventually being carried out by St Johns.  Made for a short evening as he was the Bill topper.

Leon Arras, from Barnsley, was a regular.  Turned out he was Brian Glover the actor. (Amongst other parts he played the Sports master in the film  KES).  A few odd characters, Ricky Starr, the wrestling ballet dancer. A wrestling Vicar from South Africa. (Can't remember his name) Zando Zarbo billed as the Afro hair styled Wild Man of Borneo, probably another scrap merchant from Sheffield, Akmed the Turk. Some other names. Ian Campbell, Johnny Eagles, Les Kellet,  Zebra Kid., Billy Howes, Steve Logan, Johnny Kwango.  Masambula, Joe Critchley.   I'll have to dig my old autograph book out for more names. Jackie Pallo's in there.       Enjoyable entertainment at the time. When you are 16.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Back in 1968, my dad and I were taking coal to Bowaters paper mills at Ellesmere Port. We both took our 26 tonners into Keele services on the M6., parked up and got our cups of tea. Only been sat down a few minutes and this little bloke came over and said " have yer got a light mate " ?

Gave a light from me fag and off he went after saying ta ! My dad said to me, " do you know who that was ?" I replied no idea but he looked a bit of a rough bugger ! Dad, smiling at me said, " It's Mick McManus " !!