Jackie Pallo and old-style wrestling

This has been on BBC4 at least twice in the last couple of years. For anyone who remembers watching wrestling on ITV World of Sport, it'll bring back all the memories (and is anyone surprised to find it was all fixed ?)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit late, just found this topic.  I used to go to Wrestling at Vic Baths.  Along with some mates we used to stand on the balcony. (Cheap Option).  On the way in always asked for "Next weeks Bill"

I used to watch the wrestling on World Of Sport, it was on from 4 - 5pm on Saturday. My mum used to love Les Kennet, if my dad came in while we were watching it he used to say it was rubbish. One of m

Aaaaahh.. It all transports me to a time of Black and White telly, coal fires and foggy Saturday afternoons in November.  Kent Walton.  Mick McManus, seeming almost normal alongside the likes of Adria

Tibor Szakacs, Steve Veidor, Alan Dennison, Johnny Yearsley, Clive Myers, Steve Grey, Mark Rocco, Bert Royal to name but a few more.

Saw several when they held wrestling on Skegness sea front in the late 50's-early 60's.

Sometime around 1966..ish, we used to drive out to Trowell Services as it was the only place open for a late scoff. A bloke behind me in the queue asked  'Ave Yer Gorrany Lamb Cutlets Luv?'  It was Jackie Pallo... and the answer was 'No'.

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Some other names. Ian Campbell, Johnny Eagles, Les Kellet,  Zebra Kid., Billy Howes, Steve Logan, Johnny Kwango.  Masambula, Joe Critchley. 

Classic memories there Mr Meeseeks. The wrestling on Saturday afternoon was a must for my mum, Was it Kent Walton that commentated?

Pat Roach (Bomber) from Auf Wiedersehen pet was a pro wrestler too and I well remember the scene in Never Say Never Again during a fight with Bond he was slammed into a cabinet that contained all sorts of glass bottles etc. and fell forward dead with shards of glass sticking in his back.

31 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Sometime around 1966..ish, we used to drive out to Trowell Services as it was the only place open for a late scoff.

DJ360 Do you remember the back way, Waterloo Lane, from Trowell Services to the Festival Inn?

Many a night you could hear moans and groans from the churchyard opposite the Inn

Fortunately I don't remember that Oz.  I wasn't driving in those days.. Just a passenger in the back of an A55 Cambridge van in which we had many adventures..  :)

Hi Beekay it was great reading about the wrestlers of days gone by,you said you could not remember who his partner was i believe it was Vic Faulkner.In 1965 when i was stockcar racing at Long Eaton they presented the trophy to the winner of Grand Final.I think they were a tag team.

• Upvote 1

I used to watch the wrestling on World Of Sport, it was on from 4 - 5pm on Saturday. My mum used to love Les Kennet, if my dad came in while we were watching it he used to say it was rubbish. One of my uncles was in the dressing room and heard the wrestlers going through what was going to happen in their match. 

For my sins I watch WWE, even been to a couple of the live shows over here (had a thing about Kevin Nash, Big Daddy Cool, a gorgeous 7’ hunk with the most perfect pecs I have ever seen, even better in the live shows!). I went with 2 friends who had never seen it, after the show finished they wanted to know when they were coming back again so we could go again. One memory that sticks with me is taking my friends grandsons, one of them loved the Undertaker. We didn’t tell him that he was appearing in the show. The expression on his face when his entrance music started is something I will never forget. 

It always makes me laugh when people say “you know it is fake” .....  no really ..... would never have guessed!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aaaaahh.. It all transports me to a time of Black and White telly, coal fires and foggy Saturday afternoons in November.  Kent Walton.  Mick McManus, seeming almost normal alongside the likes of Adrian Street, Kendo Nagasaki and the rest.  Forearm Smash, Irish Whip, Half Nelson, Body Slam.....  As I recall, they also used to show Ten Pin Bowling...  It all makes Golf seem almost exciting...:laugh:  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...