Upper Parliament Street – Elite Cinema

Welcome to Nottstalgia graham_lea. I don't know the answer to your question, but there may be someone else who does - or who can find out.

Your question is rather unusual, and I can't resist asking why you want to know if that building may have suffered snow damage in the 70s. And how did you come to discover that it may have happened?

Ah... the Moulin Rouge on Mansfield Road eh?

Moulin+Rouge.jpg

With it's fillums from foreign fields, it's seat changing perverts, heavy smoke/perfume filled atmosphere, and varied charging young (and old) ladies.

Get yer fags from Finlays, a drink of Shipstones for courage, and dive into the pit of doom.

So me neighbour told me anyway.

I went to the Elite to see Roy Orbison once - joined the queue on the apex of Queen Street, what seemed like hours later - a uniformed commissioner came out and told us that Roy would not be appearing due to having a sore throat!

Tsk!

How many times did Roy Orbison appear in Nottingham?

I remember us lads going to see him with Freddie and the Dreamers as a support group at the ..........????

He then played on the same bill as the Beatles at the Odeon but didn't go to that one.

My mate and I went to see a film at the Moulin Rouge around 1968. I can't remember what it was called but we got all excited because it had been banned in Denmark. We found out why later on. Not because of sexual content (because there wasn't any). It was because there was a small scene where they burnt the Bible. If we had blinked we would have missed it anyway. (the scene not the film).

• Upvote 1

When i was courting my husband in 1964, on one off his weekend visits we thought we would be a bit daring and go to the Moulin Rouge.

Neither of us had been before or seen anything a bit naughty, so giggling like the pair of naive teenagers that we were, we made our way, heads down and found our seats. What a surprise we had when the film began and soon became clear it was a two hours long documentary on Venereal Disease. Yuk

Served Us Right! slywink

We never went again Lol

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap. Chance would be a fine thing. Not like today where teenagers are exposed to all sorts of smut. The culture then was to protect young people. Well it was in my circles. Even when courting, girls didn't mind a passionate snog but put your hand anywhere wrong and you soon got a knee in the nuts.

• Upvote 1

Could the film have been (sex at?) "Seventeen" Bilbraborn. ?

I remember going to see a film @ ML around 68-69.

Foriegn "17" about a youth on a train journey.

Boggered if I can find it on the net?

Can anyone remember a film called Prudence and the Pill? I went to see it at the Odeon around 1968 with my mate and our girlfriends. It was hilarious. I've never seen it out on a DVD.

Saw Mein Kampf at the Classic in the mid 60's. It went way over my head. Might make more sense nowadays though.

I had a few mates who lived at Bramcote Hills around the Thoresby Road area. We used to stroll down Wollaton Vale and watch whatever was on at the Lenton Abbey Essoldo (or Effoldo - LOL)

Can anyone remember a film called Prudence and the Pill? I went to see it at the Odeon around 1968 with my mate and our girlfriends. It was hilarious. I've never seen it out on a DVD.

Is this the one bilbraborn

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prudence-And-The-Pill-DVD-/350927144878?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item51b4e347ae

• Upvote 1

The Scala on Market street. I remember visiting there to see the first foreign films that I ever viewed. The two that I can still recall were , "Knife in the water" which I believe was the film that gave Roman Polanski his start on the road to fame and fortune, and the second was " Ashes and Diamonds" I can also recall going to the Scala to see the terrific and terrifying "Repulsion"