Interest for Railway Enthusiasts

I just found an Advert in The Daily Mirror that could be a nice Christmas present.

The 6 A4s are reunited for a 'Great Goodbye' at ' The National Railway Museum' at Shildon in Feb 15th-23rd 2014.

Check details on the Internet.

The advert is for a coach trip so it could be handy for anyone who can't drive. :)

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't say that, it isn't true, it related to the morals of the time, whatever they were supposed to be, left overs from another age I suspect. Compared to some of the teenage filth that I get in the b

My Dad was a railway signalman, at Nottingham Victoria and later when the station closed, on the Nottingham to Boston line, he kept a note of all the trains that passed and drivers if he knew them in

See, a little bit of humour never does any harm. Well played all !

• 6 months later...

One of the World's largest steam locomotives has been moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming to be restored to operating condition! I would LOVE to see this thing steamed up!

Videos HERE - Then check the links for more information.

• Upvote 1

Footballers, and lots of other things. Quite a mixture in that class. But me favourite non-pacific ex LNER locos were the D10 and D11 Directors.

• Upvote 2

I used to love the sound of the railway, particularly at night when tucked up in bed.

The nearest railway was over a mile away, but on cold nights the sound would carry and you could hear the faint distant clatter of wheels on rail joints as an express train passed through Ruddington and then on towards Wilford. Sometimes a whistle would echo as an train moved away to the south. Engines of eastern region origin had a high pitched shriek, whilst midland types sounded more like a ship.

When we stopped at my aunt's house the sound of the railway at night was different. Engines shunting, trucks banging together like dominos, the slow wheezing chuff chuff, building up to a deliberate steady rhythm as a heavy freight moved by.

I closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep, picturing the scene from my bed and trying to imagine where they might be going. I was soon off to sleep.

Each a glimpse and gone forever.

Smiffy

I used to love the sound of the railway, particularly at night when tucked up in bed.

The nearest railway was over a mile away, but on cold nights the sound would carry and you could hear the faint distant clatter of wheels on rail joints as an express train passed through Ruddington and then on towards Wilford.

Exactly the same for me on the same stretch of line; except that in my case, from the window in the back bedroom of our house you could also see the trains on that line over a mile away - they appeared for a few seconds in a gap between houses and trees. During the day, being so far away, you could only see it as a dark shape of a train with the steam coming from the chimney on the engine; but at night when it was a passenger train you could see the string of lights from the carriages moving across the horizon.

That same stretch of former line is now being used for the new tram extension; so presumably if I was still in that house I could look out of the bedroom windows to watch the trams in the distance.

• Upvote 1

My favourite L.N.E.R. loco(no 6-6-2) is a C12 tank locomotive (originally G.N.R.)

Was it 67363 a regular performer on the Annesley Dido from Bulwell Common? A 4-4-2Tank.

• Upvote 1

Smiffy - you're right about the whistles. The LMS hooter was adopted from the Caledonian Railway, but if I remember right, not until Stanier came on the scene, around 1930. So I think I am right in saying that Black Fives, 8Fs, Jubilees etc. plus the various 2-6-2 and 2-6-4 tanks had the hooter, but in the main, older stuff, like the Midland 4-4-0s and Horwich Crabs retained "whistling" whistles!

• 1 month later...

Basfordstation_zps1a4862d5.jpg

There is a depressing photo of Basford and Bulwell station in its death throes in one of the threads - can't locate it. Thought I would post a couple of pictures of how I remember it.

Top picture shows 63863, taken from Dobbie Bridge by T G Hepburn, where I began my trainspotting in the late 1940s. The bottom picture, taken by H C Casserley, looks in the opposite direction from the station over-bridge and shows 61281 entering from Daybrook. Dobbie Bridge is in the background.

• Upvote 1

Footballers, and lots of other things. Quite a mixture in that class. But me favourite non-pacific ex LNER locos were the D10 and D11 Directors.

Luckie Mucklebackit!

As a matter of interest the cost of a 2nd class single ticket with seat reserved from Colombo (Sri Lanka) to Matara (c250Kms) is £2.

Have all the stations on the Nottingham Suburban Railway now been completely demolished?

Luckie Mucklebackit!

I used to have 'Luckie Mucklebackit Forever!' inked on the back of my haversack at High Pavement (everyone started with a shiny new satchel in the first form but soon graduated to army-style haversacks). No-one knew what it meant.

One of the Scottish 'Directors', I think it unlikely to have been seen at Victoria - I just picked the name at random for the fun of it.

By the way, if anyone's wondering, Luckie Mucklebackit is the name of a character in the novels of Sir Walter Scott, much mined for locomotive names - but does anyone read them these days?

• Upvote 1

#16 Luckie Mucklebackit (BR number 62660)

One of this class still survives and forms part of the national collection.

62660 Butler-Henderson.

Other likable names in the class:-

Baillie MacWheeble (62671)

Evan Dhu (62673)

Flora Maclvor (62674)

Edie Ochiltree (62677)

Haystoun of Bucklaw (62682)

Hobbie Elliott (62683)

Wizard of the Moor (62684)

Laid of Balmawhapple (62691)

Roderick Dhu (62693)

Another intriguing name but from the D30 class:-

62440 Wandering Willie.......

My favourite from these was 62430 Jingling Geordie.

Smiffy

Basfordstation_zps1a4862d5.jpg

There is a depressing photo of Basford and Bulwell station in its death throes in one of the threads - can't locate it. Thought I would post a couple of pictures of how I remember it.

Top picture shows 63863, taken from Dobbie Bridge by T G Hepburn, where I began my trainspotting in the late 1940s. The bottom picture, taken by H C Casserley, looks in the opposite direction from the station over-bridge and shows 61281 entering from Daybrook. Dobbie Bridge is in the background.

Not heard the phrase Dobbie Bridge in ages. Grand parents lived on Saxondale. Im only old enough to remember the old railway bridge being taken out, and the goods shed being demolised.

Gary

Another intriguing name but from the D30 class:-

62440 Wandering Willie.......

When the chairman of the LNER William Whitelaw (grandfather of the politician) had a Pacific named after him in the 1930s he used to joke that there were two other engines also named after him:

The D30 4-4-0 'Wandering Willie' mentioned above and the J36 0-6-0 'Ole Bill' (LNER no.9661)

Catfan, that is blasphemous language. Stand in the corner immediately. You've been on here long enough to spot some difference.

• Upvote 2

I'll be provocative, and say "and I thought all cats were the same!"

Get in the corner Stephen !!!

• Upvote 2