Interest for Railway Enthusiasts

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't say that, it isn't true, it related to the morals of the time, whatever they were supposed to be, left overs from another age I suspect. Compared to some of the teenage filth that I get in the b

My Dad was a railway signalman, at Nottingham Victoria and later when the station closed, on the Nottingham to Boston line, he kept a note of all the trains that passed and drivers if he knew them in

See, a little bit of humour never does any harm. Well played all !

Re #45. I think maybe those two sides of a bridge were part of the single line from the GNR Pinxton line across the valley to the ex Midland Erewash valley line. There were once several freight trains used this from Colwick to Manchester back in the mists of time.

These are the only photos that I took on my one visit to Codnor Park and Ironville Station, Bilbraborn was clearly hiding out of shot at the time. These were taken early in 1966 when we walked all the way up the Nottingham/Erewash/Cromford canal from Wollaton to Butterley.

The first photo shows one of the last surviving B1's, 61030 Nyala on what looks like a coal train, pulling into the station. Whats interesting about this is that the train appears to be coming off of Codnor Park South sidings onto the down slow line, there was a link at this point on to the GNR Pinxton branch, but by 1966 this had been closed and pulled up. Presumably these sidings were there to serve the big works shown on the OS maps of the time, one of the buildings just about visible in front of the loco, what were these works for.

cp1.jpg

On this next picture, the train is heading North, presumably on the slow line as pictures of the station at the time show a different arrangement of buildings on the fast line, although the station was still open, the overgrown platforms suggest they were'nt used, as I think the stopping DMU's ran on the fast lines.

cp2-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Butterley works at Codnor Park was closed around that time and demolished. It was between the canal and the Midland Line. Only earthworks left there now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59613544@N08/5455257719/

I think some of us may have been confused as to the stations at Jacksdale and Codnor Park & Ironville

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3152757

I know I was because I did not know that there were two stations just the high level one on the old viaduct and yet I live just a hundred yards from Station Road in Codnor Park.

These pictures are really great !

Does anyone have any of the old GC south of Victoria towards Weekday Cross, Wilford and Ruddington?

Smiffy

These pictures are really great !

Does anyone have any of the old GC south of Victoria towards Weekday Cross, Wilford and Ruddington?

Smiffy

I've published loads of my own pictures on here before, some of them even featuring Bilbraborn in his 'youth'!!! You'll have to hunt them down in one of the railway topics under Nottingham Transport, there's several of the south end of Vic and in particular Weekday Cross junction. If I've time I'll try to find where they are.

• Upvote 1

Here's another, not worked out how to add more than one pic at the moment.

NottmVictoria_zpsed13b964.jpg

Smiffy

Smiffy: Insert yer first pic then hit the return key to take the cursor below the first pic and then simply post another. Repeat as many times as the server will allow.

• Upvote 2

Those photos of me in my youth posted by Firbeck are the source of much mirth from my grand children. Funny how my youngest grand-daughter likes me to show her all those old railway locations.

My Dad was a railway signalman, at Nottingham Victoria and later when the station closed, on the Nottingham to Boston line, he kept a note of all the trains that passed and drivers if he knew them in a notebook, I have 56 books filled with his notes, and I am wondering if I should donate them to York, train museum, because even though I cherish them, all they are doing here is gathering dust, in my attic......

• Upvote 5

If you do don't forget to copy them. Someone in your family might become interested. As a retired railwayman, I was fascinated by what signalmen on country lines got up to. Barbers, Pastors are two that come to mind.

The Goods Yard box at London Road Low Level was almost like a free café during the 1980s. I remember me and Firbeck being invited into the box at Ilkeston Junction when we were in our mid teens. He had some very interesting literature in a wooden chest.