Words from Boys FromThe Blackstuff giz a job i sometimes feel is a better way to recruit most of us can remember when you could secure a job over the phone and start monday with NI card in hand this method generally worked but in this day and age of vast amount of personell/HR it does not seem to produce compitance example wanted to send 2 boxes to USA paid and agreed time for collection 3 hours after collection time no one arrives .when you complain they think it is acceptable sitting in waiting for a service you have had to pay for in advance i might be a miserable old git but everry thing seems to be done without common sense inluding the law .what do you think am i wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Quiet right Sir!

When I wus working fer Tesco on Granby Street (now Maid Marion Way. My Tesco manager, Ernest Russell Roberts sent me down to take note of the prices of certain goods that Macfisheries on South Parade were charging.

They offered me job on the spot!

Good job I wasn't tempted, as they went broke a few weeks later.

And as for waiting in for deliveries....

• Upvote 1

Did you know Derek Dore @ that Tescos (around 1970)?

Yep sure did Sir. (I thought it was Derek Done though)

He was managing Tesco's on Goosegate at the time, or thereabouts.

A few names I wouldn't mind hearing from are:

Ray Miles (butcher), Rita, Brenda, and ? Goodman.

TTFN

Fancy being a Maths teacher? You don't need a degree in Maths, or even A-levels, to work in teaching at this place. Being able to count past ten might be advantage.

We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, reliable, and self-motivated Unqualified Teacher of Maths to join The South Leeds Academy, starting as soon as possible.
The ideal candidates will possess a minimum of 4 GCSE’s (Grades A*- C) including English and Mathematics or equivalent. Experience of working in a similar role would be desirable.
  • Upvote 1

Albert Einstein didn't have any formal qualifications, but he taught his subject. He was actually reported as being a lazy student at school.

Going back to my photo in #9 of the Elmo store; I don't remember that name at all.

But a search of Nottstalgia shows the name has been mentioned a few times and there were Elmo stores at Mansfield Road, Sherwood, and Radford Road - and probably several others as well.

That'll be here, then......

tesco-2.jpg

By gum yer reet too mate!

I remember at the opening we had Miss East Midlands (I think that was her title), and Terry Hennesey to cut the tape.

We'd worked all night using Woolworths baloon inflaters, and putting coupons in each of the hundreds of balloons, and had a reet job getting em all up into the nets on the ceiling ready to be released - the crowds were given a cocktail stick to burst the balloons with.

We advertised coupons for free beans (Cross & Blackwell 5oz diddy tin), toothpaste (Gibbs SR tiny sample tube), Free biscuits (Crawfords custard cream, Bourbon or Digestives (Sample pack with 4 biscuits), money off coupons, and... coupon for free giant turkeys! (There was only one of them)

The store never took off really, it was in the wrong location - but it was built and traded by a company called 'Adsega' and Tesco bought them out. I also worked later at the Derby old Adsega one in Duckworth Square as was..

They had many guest appearances to try and boost sale, I recall The Brooke Bond chimps - that caused panic and put some staff in the A&E at the General hospital (including me), and Pat Phoenix (Elsie Tanner from Coronation Street). That also ended up with a visit to the A&E for me!

It was sheer pandemonium. We'd stacked some boxes of baked beans around a table and chairs, covered them in crepe paper to make it look nice, and the idea was for her and her body guard (both continually smoking Rothman's King size ciggies) to sit for ten minutes signing autographs for the crowds.

We (the staff) had to link arms, and let a couple at a time through to her, but after 50 minutes a stampede was starting that we could not control. She had to be rescued to do her mock shopping and pick up her check.

The old ladies a recall were crying and sweeping 'Marry Len (Fairclough) love... marry Len...'

When she finally managed to get away, we'd probably had more stuff knicked that sold that morning!

Anyroad up, someone pointed out the blood coming from me ear-hole.

A week later, a freelance photographer came int shop, with photo's he's took from the stairs that went up into Williams furniture section, of staff, and sold em for about 2/6d each.

The one with me in it, solved the mystery of me bloody ear-hole - it showed an old dear stabbing me in it with her umbrella in her determination to get through to the actress!

I also recall stocking some sea-weed ciggies, and on the first day they sold like hot cakes, and an agent for Phillips tobacco gae each of the staff a pack of 200.

A few days later they had to be withdrawn - you lit one and on the first drag half the fag disappeared, on the third only the filter remained! Can't remember the name of em, but they were dead cheap.

Ah memories eh?

TTFN

• Upvote 5

Going back to my photo in #9 of the Elmo store; I don't remember that name at all.

But a search of Nottstalgia shows the name has been mentioned a few times and there were Elmo stores at Mansfield Road, Sherwood, and Radford Road - and probably several others as well.

Tesco also bought Elmo (a South African company) up, and used the name for a while on some of lesser performing stores.

I worked at the Radford Road one for a week or two, during which time a woman brought back a tin of meat and complaint it gave her stomach ache.

It was a tin of Kit-E-Kat! Honestly!

Hehe...

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 22/11/2013 at 0:29 PM, TGC said:

A few names I wouldn't mind hearing from are:

Ray Miles (butcher), Rita, Brenda, and ? Goodman.

TTFN

Not quite got it right........this quote copying.........ill get there...................lol.

On 22/11/2013 at 0:29 PM, TGC said:

Just come across this topic.................anyone know what happened to TGC ?........he was a good humorous poster when i joined 3 years ago,

copied the above post because i knew Derek Done when he worked for Savemore supermarkets who were part of Farrands/Marsdens,.......last saw him when he managed a 'Savemore' in Burton-on-Trent circa 69'........anyone who knows BOT...........Savemore was on Horninglow road............

Not really sure what happened to TGC, Ben.  He was a good poster.  I think he had a blog as well.   You might want to check back through his posts and see if the link is still there.  Then you could check to see if he is still blogging.  It is sad when folks just disappear, especially when they were good regular posters.  I always hope they are o-k, but there is no way to find out.

• 4 years later...