Bramcote born and bred.

Looking for any information about Nottingham Ordnance Factory during the War years please. Trying to trace my father (long gone) but hoping to find some information. Am now living in Scotland but went to Bramcote village school and Stevenson St. school and Arthur Mee school for girls as it was then around 1951 to 1955.

Welcome Scotham. My Dad served his apprenticeship at the Royal Ordnance Factory, leaving to join the RAF a week before his 21st birthday, December 1942. On de-mob in 1946 he returned to the ROF and spent the rest of his working life there, apart from a miserable couple of years at Raleigh and Myfords in Beeston. My Dad only passed away this year but I found very little information about the factory as I cleared his house out. I do however remember a few names of his work colleagues, I wonder if your Dad was one of them?

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Chatting with Mrs Denshaw this morning at Wethers in Bulwell, she mentioned that Susan Barrantes, mother of Sarah Ferguson, was born in Bramcote!

A quick trawl reveals she was born Susan Mary Wright, the daughter of a FitzHerbert- Wright in Bramcote Hills. The family (descended, presumably bar sinister, from Stuart lineage, hence the Fitz prefix,) owned Stapleford Hall, demolished in 1935, before she was born.

Anyone know any more? Just curious.